Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

The pilot dome wasn't too much of an issue. MGagen had posted some very good drawings of the bridge based on Jefferies' original drawings that both matched with the images I have of the pilot configuration and the later cut down bridge (which I have photos of off the model and next to a ruler). That made for a nice set of sources which confirmed each other.

Of course I also got a lot of additional photos of other parts with nice ways of getting measurements... which I haven't had the chance to completely check against what I already had. But so far everything seems to be on the right track.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

What I'm slightly giddy about is how your estimate of the size of the pilot dome looks to be slightly smaller than mine, yet still big enough to allow for the bridge to face forward, resulting in the bridge not necessarily being sunk down as much as my previous attempt. In fact, my most recent test on the matter puts the bridge at right about the same level as Jefferies showed in his cross section, so serendipity all around, I say...

3. Captain Robert April

Could we get a side view of the ship with the nacelles? I'm needing the, hopefully, final estimates of the overall contours of the ol' girl.

4. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Sure, I just have to finish some projects for my clients first.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Hey Shaw...did you get my message about the inboard nacelles back in Oct., and the photo of the 11' model I sent?

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I got it... was a great image. :techman:

I thought I had written back to thank you for it (was sure I had written something) but it seems that this is another case of the forgetfulness my wife is constantly complaining about (although I can't recall the last time she brought it up). :wtf:

So please forgive the oversight... and thanks a ton for the image!

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sure. I also shot some video of the model last week. If I think any of it is usable for you, I'll send it along.

8. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hope this isn't too far off topic Shaw, I know you don't want to "fill in the black boxes" too much, but since the following bears on the inner structural relationships, it's something I thought should at least be discussed and gotten out of the way, before moving forward.

Food for thought? Since we are all agreed (I think) that Jefferies TMOST cross section is a lot more representative of what he intended than most people previously thought, what should we make (if anything) of that little doohickey he put just below and in between the necelle pylons and the dorsal? My guess is he intended it to be some component of the engine system itself, possibly the engine (reactor) itself, or the housing thereof? We can see by comparison with the Phase II cross section (see below) that Jefferies left a cavity or bay, in the same area, and its perhaps interesting that in this case, it's right where the engine pylons themselves attach in this new version!

Given the perspective corrected length of the cathedral tube chamber, it's unlikely this feature could be the same thing, so it must be some other part of the inner workings?
    So anyone got any ideas as to what it might be? I know we're just seeing the cross section of it, so it might extend deep into the hull, we just don't know, so there are lots of possibilities to think about.

So perhaps this could be one of your "puzzle pieces" Shaw, included separately, along with other internal odds and ends, that could be made use of, or ignored, as aspiring starship builders see fit?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  9. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I hadn't really thought about it... but you are right, it seems too deliberate a feature to be dismissed as filler in that illustration. As I recall, aridas put some unique engineering aspects of the TAS version of the ship in that spot. Whatever it is, room should be set aside for it in about the same place.

10. TIN_MAN

Kewel! If you don't mind then, I've got something preliminary worked out using your design, which I'd like to post here for your (and everyones) consideration, if it's OK with you? like aridas' It also uses elements of TAS and possibly solves other conundrums from TOS. I Don't want to risk derailing your thread though, so if you'd rather, I can start another thread?

11. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I think it would be fine here. :techman:

12. TIN_MAN

Kewel again! Okay, what follows isn't much, but I think it's fairly versatile and lends itself to various interpretations? Let me know what you think, but be kind, so without further ado, here's hoping the linky works...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qjvup0.jpg

SUCCESS! Woo-Hoo (I really got learn more about this stuff)!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

It actually looks like it works out quite well. :techman:

It also lends itself to supporting the idea of that area being almost a maze (as suggested in The Enemy Within and Court Martial).

14. TIN_MAN

Thanks! Yeah, I thought of the maze angle too, there's lots of ways something like this could cover a multitude of sins.

15. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Hey, now THAT is interesting. I like it.

--Alex

P.S. Your brief text in the upper left hand says "BBC" where I think you meant "BBS." Unless there is some connection with British media I'm not aware of.

16. Captain Robert April

Hmmm.....certainly food for thought....

17. TIN_MAN

Thanks guys! Oops, yeah I meant BBS, I'm bad about typos like that, dang! Oh well, you guys know what I meant, that's all that counts anyway. :techman:

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I really like that setup suggestion, too. :techman:

19. TIN_MAN

^^Kewel, I'm glad to see the favorable reviews, I came up with it after re-reading some old posts about "where's the engine room" and "How does dilithium work" and "Does the TOS-E have a warp core" and similar stuff. It seemed to combine some of the ideas people were gravitating towards, like the ship being built around the engines instead of the other way around and so forth. So Yay, IDIC rules!

20. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

That is an interesting layout! I'm not overly fond of the twin cathedral approach, but I love how you seem to have made all of the "engine rooms" fit together. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.