Apparently Warner Bros. doesnt think I matter and it pisses me off.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aldo, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Ok, say what you will about the film Sucker Punch, but I really loved it. I also knew that Snyder had to cut the film down by at least 20 minutes to get a PG-13 cut. So you'd think me being a huge fan of the movie I'd snap the Extended Cut DVD up the second it hit the market.

Except that I don't have a BlueRay player, and apparently Warner Bros. is only catering them now. See if I want to buy the film on DVD I can only buy the theatrical release because they are only putting the extended cut on Blueray.

This confounds me to no end. Why cut out a huge consumer base? Do they think I'm going to blindly buy the movie on DVD no matter what cut of the film it is? (I'm not, actually). This really upsets me because I love the film and I'd love to see it many more times, but I want to see the version Snyder originally put forth and apparently Warners doesn't think I matter enough to give me the option to buy that version.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Apparently Warner Bros. doesnt think I matter and it pisses me off

I feel the same way about many DVD's but it's all apart of the transition to Blu-Ray now, it's not just Warner Bros. Other studios are making the Blu-Ray special features and extras more exclusive and are excluding things from DVD. It sucks big time and it has kept me from buying more than a handful of movies that I would have normally bought anyways.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's not that they think you don't matter so much as they want people to convert to Blu-ray, so they withhold features from DVD to try and lure them in.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well it's not gonna work, because as much as I want to see the movie, I'm not buying blueray just to get the extended cut.

And like I said, I ain't buying the standard DVD either.

5. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Seems to me with a movie like this that is so focused on visual "style" that blu-ray'd be the way to go and that any other format would not do the flick justice.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yep. DVDs will slowly be pushed off all the shelves in favor of Blu-Ray, and you'll notice how any of your latest tv/dvd player purchases were almost certainly blu-ray compatible (even if you didn't ask for it).

The funny thing is that it also pushes people into using Netflix Instant Streaming. Blu-Ray brings the price up in comparison to DVD, and Netflix Instant Streaming brings the price down in comparison to DVD.

7. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Buy a BD-player maybe? They are under $100

8. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way over DVD-only options. Why should I pay money to see someting in Standard Definition when I watched it for free on televison in High Definition?

9. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Heavens to betsy! What are you ever gonna do in a few short years when they simply stop making DVD's all together? Sorry, I feel for ya...I do, But this is the same thing people were screaming about 10 years ago with the death of the VCR. Technology is moving ahead and you either stay caught up or get left behind, thats the cold honest truth. Blu-ray won the format war and has been around for years now and I don't see it going away any time soon. Now would be as good as time as any to upgrage. You can get a decent player for like $100 bucks these days, though I recommend spending a bit more and just picking up a PS3 as I think it's about the best deal around for a Blu-ray without spending some serious cheddar. Now if you don't have an HDTV...well......I dunno what to tell ya.

10. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

As you apparently conceded, Sucker Punch was a crappy movie. One could hardly blame them for not doing a dual release for an extended cut catering to "fans" of the film.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Pretty much this. Hell, my Best Buy barely even has a DVD section anymore. 90% of the movies on their shelves are Blu-Rays.

They're not trying to alienate the DVD-buyers. They're trying to eliminate DVDs altogether.

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should feel lucky. They didn't release the movie at all on BetaMax!!:klingon::klingon:

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Oddly enough, I first noticed this with Where the Wild Things Are...the blu ray for that had way more extras than the DVD, some of it the sort of thing that used to be standard for DVDs (commentary track, for example).

So, its been happenin' for awhile now, and you're just now noticin', so good for you, but its time to upgrade.

And deflate your ego a bit, too, 'cause it ain't all about you. There isn't a single studio executive anywhere who sits in their office with your picture on a dart board. And no one asked the question, "Just how can we fuck up Aldo's whole day today?"

14. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Indeed. The cry baby attitude among consumer's is getting old. I've heard this all before among friends. If you want to watch the latest and greatest new thing, it's gonna cost ya! Companies can't be expected to produce out of date products forever. If that were the case my VCR, cassette tapes, Walkman, Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Game Cube, PS2, and XBox would all have alot less dust on them. But guess what, they got old. Don't mean they weren't great in their day, they were. And I still break them, dust them off, and play them from time to time. But in the end, they got replaced by the next big thing, and I'm fine with that. I don't bitch that I can't get new games for my PS2. I saved up and got a PS3, a 360, A couple HDTV's, a Blu-ray player, an iPod, a DVR, etc. I'm sure in some years I will have to repeat the cycle all over again and buy all new stuff, and I'm fine with that cause that's just how the world works.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

I had no desire to buy a blu ray either. I was content to let the Blu Ray generation pass me by until the next format upgrade. However, for Christmas '09 my sister and her husband got me Terminator Salvation and Watchmen on Blu Ray. They thought I'd have one. I smiled, thanked them and didn't say anything to the contrary.

I also got a $50 Target gift card from my parents that year and with my birthday in March my brother got me a $25 Target gift card. He was wise to me not having a Blu Ray so in fairness he knew what he was contributing to. Caught a Target sale some weeks later and a new Blu Ray in '10 cost me out of pocket $80. Sale+Gift Cards=Sony Blu Ray.

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Aldo, you tool! You're still a tool.

The national budget is in the toilet. Japan got hit by another 7.1 earthquake, generating another tsunami warning last Saturday. Towns in Alabama are still recovering from extensive tornado damage. A former US Marine who lost his legs in combat was on a roller coaster in New York and was thrown from his seat only to plummet to his death in mid-transit. Jaycee Dugard was held in captivity for 18 years, the first three of which she didn't have a sink or a toilet.

Who the fuck cares if you don't matter to Warner Bros?

You want to bitch about something? Bitch about something that matters.

Or, man up, save up and drop the cash to get a Blu-Ray player.

Thread: done. Next!

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly so.

I'm still looking for a decent SuperBeta player to replace my old one that finally died. Beta was better and damn the studios who don't think I matter! :lol:

18. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

I for one loved Sucker Punch.

Now I have to say I never saw it in the theaters and I blindly bought the blu-ray extended cut that added something like 17 minutes to the movie. Thats the only version I have ever seen and I couldn't imagine watching the cut up theatrical version of it now that I know what all was cut. Anyway...the blu-ray is f'n gorgeous. I wouldn't want to watch it any other way.

19. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The demand for the DVD must not be enough to justify the cost of production/distribution/etc... If it were me in their shoes, at a cursory glance, I probably wouldn't either.

20. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Right now, the studios consider the people who buy Blu-Ray to be the kind of people who would take time to watch the special features. I think that the barebones DVDs actually outsell the special editions. So they're trying to save money and convince the last holdouts to go to Blu-Ray. You should already have a HDTV and the players are cheap, so go for it. It's worth the upgrade and looks better than streaming or broadcast and cable HD.