DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Batman likes them young and taut. Once they outgrow the tights at 13 he sends them out into the world.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it still doesn't answer the question though. it's just a dodge. they may as well say, 'we don't know!'

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dick I believe is supposed to be 21 or something now...and has been Nightwing for a few years so yeah he'd have to have started out as Robin as a 12 year old. Stephanie as Robin during War Games still seems to have lasted only few a few months as it did in the previous DCU continuity. Jason Todd must've been like a year or two as Robin.

@Preator Shinzon I have the same problem with this timeline as you do, which is why I continually bring it up. I hate repeating myself, but it is just plain silly some of the stuff they've attempted to reconcile or compress into this five year timeline.

Also in "Batgirl" it was established that Babs hadn't been Batgirl for "three years" or something like that, and we don't know if Oracle ever existed or not. Probably not.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Which, imo, is a major foul.
    I mean we aren't talking about writing Ambush Bug out of continuity but Oracle!!

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Now that I think about it, Stephanie has gone completely MIA in the New 52, hasn't she? Maybe she's hanging out with Wally West.

6. Admiral_Young

Stephanie was in Levitation Strikes! and has been demoted back to Spoiler. I believe she is supposed to be in Batman, Incorporated Volume Two when it returns this summer. There was also an issue this week (i can't remember the book now though) of someone calling a meeting of the Robins (not sure if Steph was involved in that issue or not).

7. Saga

yeah, Batgirl and Nightwing are the only Bat-books i'm reading. i just assume that Babs was Oracle at some point. i know the Batman and Green Lantern books weren't rebooted cause they were big sellers...but man, it just creates headaches when you try to sort things out or compress five Robins into a short amount of time.

i guess she's in limbo, hanging out with Wally and Donna.

8. Admiral_Young

Wally and Donna are supposed to be coming back at some point this summer, unless DiDio was lying about that.

9. OdoWanKenobi

I'll believe Wally and Donna are back when I see the books.

10. Saga

word.

11. Admiral_Young

Who knows maybe we'll get alternate versions of Wally and Donna to go along with the alternate versions of the JSA! :rolleyes:

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that a) Justice League 7 takes place before JLI 1 and b) Batman is referring to an original quickly-squashed (by Batman) JLI that existed prior to JLI 1. In other words, the distraction JLI is some group that existed as a brief idea but never got over the ground due to Batman stepping in and squashing it. He decided the more recent incarnation, though, had more potential.

13. Admiral_Young

No Batman was definitely referring to the New'52 JLI...your proposals Snaploud make more sense than the line we actually got. I just think it was Johns trying to have Batman "diss" the JLI at an attempt at bad comedy, and once again Justice League #7 takes place in the present time...as does Justice League International. The only two books that I'm aware of that took place in the five years ago (or longer) time period are the first six issues of Justice League and Action Comics.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Why would they make it that difficult to fit into continuity?

15. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I think DC just released a trade with some of the Batman/Talia/Ras al-Ghul stuff, which might confirm that they're pushing that back story both as part of the New 52 and for the upcoming film.

16. Admiral_Young

Yep. Batman Vs Bane came out last month in trade. I think...but not sure, that Son of the Demon is getting a release as well prior to "The Dark Knight Rises" release.

17. OdoWanKenobi

But...but...Talia and Ras are NOT in TDKR! They've said so. It must be true despite the massive amount of evidence to the contrary.:p

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

...as opposed to the idea that Batman both likes and hates the current JLI? He didn't seem to be joking about hating some version of the JLI in Justice League 7, and he clearly wants the JLI to succeed in the JLI comics.

I suppose another other option, though, is that Batman sees the only way for the JLI to succeed is for the group to be separate from the UN. In other words, he's lying to Trevor in Justice League 7 in order to get the UN to remove funding.

19. Admiral_Young

20. OdoWanKenobi

Yup, that's a Jim Lee design alright.