Star Wars The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yevetha, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The art doesn't rise above what's available on the web, or what McQuarrie did.

3. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Probably but the retcons will.

4. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Female stormtroopers? I know they exist in the EU, but that's no excuse.

I like the Ewok one, makes them look savage and viscious. The desert stormtroopers one by the same artist, not so much. Some of the poses seem unnatural. And they all have orange pauldrons, meaning they are all sergeants or something...actually, the ranks were invented after the movie...so it's all messed up. Like the Death Star Officer's Admiral Motti and General Tagge.

Admiral Motti: "Dangerous to your starfleet, Commander. Not this battlestation."

General Tagge: "I'm an army officer. I don't have a starfleet, that's your jurisdiction, numbskull."

Motti: "So who is the guy in white over there...Colonel Sanders. You a chicken man?"

Vader: "Don't underestimate the power of the Colonel's secret recipe!"

5. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Farscaspe had female soilders, why not?

6. CorporalCaptain

I agree that [of those samples] the Ewok one is best. Too bad it doesn't precisely square with the film. ROTJ would have been better.

I also agree about the unnatural poses.

Another problem is that more is not necessarily better; what the space battle renderings lack in composition they try to make up for in clutter. There was a lot going on in the PT space battles, but Lucas really does have an eye for visual composition. The sample art here is a poor imitation of that.

I'm OK with the female Stormtroopers.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice art. Looking forward to this book. Am hoping that it goes a bit into the organization and order fo battle type info on the various armed forces involved.

8. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

So far we know:
    "
    As the book is currently being written by Jason Fry, the author has mentioned details in the on-going drafts on TheForce.Net's Literature discussion boards. "All plans are subject to change, and I routinely append "as drafted" to anything I say about works in progress, but some of the recurring features envisioned for WARFARE include soldier's stories (which won't be all first-person -- the one for the Zhell/Taungs conflict has a Gilgamesh feel); portraits of great war leaders; discussions of key technologies, ships, weapons and military units; and lessons/overviews of key battles."[8]
    Specific references in current drafts: 13 new Ordnance/Regional Depots,[9] working out warship classification systems.[10] Additional references to the Militarists, the Iotran Guard, Corellian Engineering, the bounty hunter D'harhan,[11] the Hutts, the Mandalorians,[12] the Waymancy Storm,[13] the Judicial Forces, the Planetary Security Forces, the Republic Navy, the Grand Army of the Republic, Coruscant, Anaxes,[14] Irmenu and Rendili StarDrive.[15] An encounter between Panaka and Leia at Hosk Station in 5 ABY.[16] Info on war propagandists Ryloth Resa and the Byblos geneticist Ull Haber.[17] There's also material being worked out for the Sector Rangers.[18] Marvel-related material will be included, like Cinda Tarheel and Barlon Hightower being added to a key battle roster, and Admiral Giel's flagship (with name and class).[19] There is also scheduled material related to the Dark Empire comic books,[20] the Pius Dea Crusades, Celestials vs. the Rakata and the war between the Taung and the Zhell on Coruscant.[21]
    At Celebration V, the book was also announced to contain a duty roster of Red Squadron at the time of the Battle of Yavin, a similar roster for Rogue Squadron at the Battle of Hoth, profiles of key conflicts and military leaders, more information on the Rishi Maze and the Unknown Regions hyperspace barrier, and 1st-person "Soldier's Stories" accounts by frontline troops.
    Del Rey's preview gallery on Facebook has so far shown images depicting Dark troopers, a World Devastator, a battle between Rakata and Killiks, a Rebel fleet battling an Imperial fleet, a Clone Wars-era Galactic Republic weapons factory, Tionese spaceships, Hutt warship sketches, a Wookiee Owool Interceptor sketch, an Imperial recruiting poster featuring Shea Hublin, a battle featuring Taungs, several pictures of the Millennium Falcon, one set during the Battle of Kashyyyk in 40 ABY, the title page spread showing the Battle of Coruscant in 19 BBY and an Imperial Altor-class replenishment ship refueling a dreadnought and battlecruiser."

9. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

It's not consistent with onscreen potrayal of the Imperial military forces, where nary a female executive assistant is even seen.

From the prequel perspective, you clone the gender with greater body strength for soldiers.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Karen Traviss was originally supposed to write this book, but then the whole fiasco with her happened and the project was delayed for a couple of years, Jason Fry was named author. It has been pushed back and forth for quite some time...and finally coming out April 3. I've done updates for the book in timothy's Star Wars ebooks discussion thread but no one really showed much interest lol. This is among my most anticipated books coming out this year as I've been waiting for this pretty much since Traiss was supposed to write it.

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Traviss did write a very good article about the organization of the Republic Army in an issue of Star Wars Magazine (issue #84, IIRC) a few years back, so I was pretty excited when she was announced as the author of this book. I had pretty much forgotten about it when that whole thing with her happened, and had assumed the book wasn't happening until a couple months ago.

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm kind of mixed. I've always had a soft spot for the EG books, but I'm inclined to agree that the art isn't as nice as in previous ones and does tend to look cluttered. I'll reserve judgment until I can learn more.

13. Admiral_Young

I don't think Chris Trevas is working on the art this time around, someone I'm not familiar with is this time around.

14. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

There is some other art that looks better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah I posted those in the other thread I talked about. Pretty cool stuff. I think my favourite is the World Devastator art.

16. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I really hope we will see some Chiss Star Destroyers.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Weren't those in the credits, though?

18. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

What is so messed up?

19. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

20. CorporalCaptain

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_Windu#Character_conception_and_overview:
    But since purple lightsabers are cool, what the Star Wars universe needs is moar purple lightsabers. :rolleyes: