The Kelvin's uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by NCC-1967, Oct 30, 2008.

1. NCC-1967

NCC-1967 Lieutenant Red Shirt

As we all know by now, the USS Kelvin is "from a generation before the Enterprise".
    So that means that the uniforms worn by Capt. Robau & Co. will be very (or slightly) different from the ones Quinto, Pine and the others are wearing in this recent batch of photos.
    Any thoughts on how they'll look like?
    "The Cage" inspired, maybe?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Abrams and his cohorts knew what they were doing, than yes, they would be Cage inspired. But Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.

Yes, I am going to keep driving this issue into the ground.

3. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I hope they'll be similar to those from The Cage. Actually, I would've liked to see design in general (of the Enterprise bridge and the uniforms we've seen) be more like those from The Cage, but I guess they were shooting for familiarity with the main run of TOS.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either one... and we don't even know for a fact yet that the Kelvin has one nacelle.

4. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe they'll look recognizable as Starfleet uniforms, but not sure about Cage inspired. We know that Starfleet Uniforms can change DRASTICALLY in what would be considered a 30 year time span. I'm going to say maybe 30 years is a good time to give from this attack up until when James Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.

5. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

The only reason Roddenberry started the whole even number nacelle thing was because he didn't approve of Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual. So what.

6. JuanBolio

Indeed. Plus we've seen all kinds of alien ships with no nacelles at all.

7. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that 0514, rather than 514, is more immediately recognizable as a lower number than 1701. There no doubt is a reason that the registry starts with zero, and it is clear you don't like that, but that doesn't mean Abrams and company don't know what they're doing or haven't thought things through.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Given that the events involving the Kelvin may take place a decade or more prior to the events seen in "The Cage", and given the real-world tendency for uniform styles to undergo drastic change, often in non-linear fashion, over relatively short periods (let alone such changes seen in the Star Trek universe, such as the one from TMP to TWoK) the uniforms we see worn by Robau's crew could just as logically be completely different from the uniforms worn by Pike's crew as they could be closely similar.

I'm not seeing this as a huge deal, one way or the other, so long as they're not glaringly out of place like something belonging to a Star Wars or BSG universe.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but maybe a kool cape like Darth Vader...:guffaw::guffaw:

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Maybe Nero might be able to pull that off, but the only Starfleet guy we ever saw wearing anything approaching a cape was Garth, (more of a robe, in his case, though) and they put him in the loony bin for it.

"We're Starfleet; we don't do capes!"

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Spoilsport... LOL :rommie: I thought Spock looked awesome in TMP when he showed up in the black cape. That's what made me think of it.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Since no one in STXI is sporting WNMHGB uniforms, I doubt we're gonna see anything like "The Cage" style uniforms.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, there is a lot of short-term memory lose when it comes to what GR would or would not have approved of.

The idea that having a registry starting with zero means the writer and director don't know what they are doing is so laughable, it's not either worth discussing....

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's "LORD Garth!"

15. JuanBolio

A decade or more before The Cage? The Cage was more than a decade before TOS, and Kirk was 34 (+/-) in TOS. Doesn't really add up.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where the hell could a possible second nacelled be hiding?

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

This isn't likely to happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing unis that resembled the ENT ones, with modification. However, in 70 plus years, I'm relatively certain they would've changed, especially after Starfleet became attached to the UFP once it formed.

18. Basil

Basil Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really don't anticipate seeing any variations of the uniforms beyond what we've seen -- TOS-ish ship's uniforms and cadet pajamas. This film isn't really sticking carefully to "canon," so the thinking will probably reveal a monolithic aesthetic, even in scenes taking place in the past of the story proper.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Indeed. Nothing says "future" like sweaters.

20. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

From the sound of it, the Kelvin crew doesn't get much screentime. Not alive, anyway. Sounds like they get attacked by Romulans in the first scene or two. I kinda doubt there'd be a drastically different uniform that would only be used for a few scenes.