Supernatural7x14"Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Spoilery and discussion of episode within, of course. New episode tonight, good people. I'm stuck at the office, per usual, getting the boss's work done. I'd complain, but it got me a much needed promotion at last, so something positive is actually afoot. Perhaps it's crossroads demons. :evil: I'll watch via "other means" later in the weekend. Sounds like a.....actually I'm not sure what this episode soudns like. :wtf: :rommie:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Not really feeling this episode, especially since they already did a clown ep back in Season Two. But maybe it'll turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Meh. Kind of a mishmash of things done in other episodes, but it did have a few good lines in it. I appreciated the re-creation of the JAWS scene in the ball-pit---nicely done. But overall, I thought it was pretty average fare.

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Straight C across the board. Nothing bad mind you, but nothing that really takes it above being a paint by numbers average episode.

A couple minor points, seeing Clowns and a clip from season two makes me really miss the style of Photography they used in season one and even to better use in season two. That muted style really worked for this show. Oh, well the CW wanted the color palette brighter, they get the color palette brighter.

Nice to hear Dean laugh, the Ball Pitt was fun (Ball Sucker, Ball Sucker!!).

Sam still scared of Clowns? Really. You had Lucifer as your master of ceremonies in your Grand Suite in Hell and your still scared by Clowns? No I mean seriously.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was better than I was expecting, but still nothing terribly special. It was a decent way to pass an hour, and it had a couple of good yuks.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congrats on the promotion Dorian! As for the episode, why do I feel like they've done this story countless of other times? And why even bother with it? What did we actually take away from this episode?

My sentiments exactly!

What I'm about to say might be blasphemy, but I think this show has gone even farther and faster downhill than dexter has. Yet I will trudge on until it's completion. Hopefully the main arc leading to the end of the season or even series really pulls out of this nosedive of an episode.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of promotions, or in this case demotions, it's unfortunate seeing Dr. Park having to work at Plucky's. It's funny, my little niece gets really freaked out by mascots like Chuck E. Cheese. Too bad that the supernatural element was so tired and done because the episode was OK. Anyone else really hoping we'd get to see that robot? The unicorn was at least a bit twisted.

8. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

I was just happy that the unicorn had rainbows literally shooting out of its ass.

9. Dorian Thompson

I finally got a chance to sit down and watch. I have to disagree. I thought it was a really cute episode. Played mostly for laughs, anyway. The ball washer got killed.....the ball washer....the what? The ball....shut up.... :guffaw: I loved the little red headed kid who'd climbed all the way up on the skee ball machine and was dropping the skee balls in..... :lol:

Yep, the unicorn with rainbows coming out of its ass was a nice touch. A little too easy to peg the preternaturally nice goofy guy as the perp, though.

10. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

^ I agree that it was mostly for laughs, perhaps letting us ease up yet again what can be coming up?...
    Of course Sam is still afraid of clowns,...I for one am still afraid of going into dark places after watching Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when I was young. I of course had a screaming wake up from a nightmare after that, which started the whole thing....:lol:

11. Dorian Thompson

I agree with you, Captain Mike. Those clowns chasing Sam weren't exactly Clarabelle 2.o. They looked more like shift workers at Jerry Sandusky's fun house if you told.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Congratulations on the promotion!

I was thinking the same thing, but it makes more sense if you just assume that Lucifer used that fear against Sam frequently.

A hundred years in hell being tortured by clowns...Anybody would be a little freaked out.

13. Dorian Thompson

Thank you, snaploud. :)

14. mswood

Yeah I just think that Sam has experienced things since the start of season 2, that would make his fear of clowns seem rather minor. Seems like something rather minor to toy with Sam with. I think Lucy would have really favored things like fear of going evil, fear of losing Dean, Fear of turning into a monster, to actual repercusions for things he caused, like the apocalypse, freeing of Lucifer, ect, ect. So Many things without even going to physical torture to go after Sam with.

Thankfully the clowns weren't from his mind, but picked by the "bad Guy".

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which made for canon fodder in a weak filler episode. Oh well I'm sure it will pick up soon.

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I find it hard to imagine that Lucifer would skip over using a major childhood fear occasionally over the course of 100 years. Besides, Lucifer could always torture Sam about all that stuff you mentioned while surrounding Sam by scary clowns (or appearing to be one), and any reminder of his time down there must do a number on him.

17. mswood

Feb 23rd and March 1st SPN reruns will replace the normally scheduled reruns of The Secret Circle on Thursdays.

Why I have no idea.

18. Dorian Thompson

More bang for the commercial buck, I guess. The CW's ratings across the board have fallen off the planet this year. SPN first run episodes on Fridays will outdo Secret Circle's first run episodes on Mondays, and the reruns always score higher than reruns of other shows.