DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sykonee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's all well and good, but the yay/nay system is too simple, what we need is a numerical average between 0 and 10, that's the only way we'll get to learn which show really was the best. :shifty: And that average needs to be determined by a Niner so that the whole thing is rigged in DS9's favour.

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I think Sykonee should start pitting DS9 against other shows of various degrees of reception among their fandom. He could even move beyond the nineties, boldly going where the most prolific character of all is to be found on either end of the spectrum.

That's right, I propose the next chapter tackles our favorite international icon, Scott Bakula himself.

[​IMG]

3. TheGodBen

Yeah! Review Quantum Leap, Sykonee! :techman:

4. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here here. If there was a better time for science fiction on television than when B5 and DS9 were both on the air, I don't know what it was. It was nice to have Voyager as well, even if I don't like it as much. Looking back, the nineties really was quite a remarkable time for genre television.

This has been a great thread, Sykonee. Comparing these four series as they progressed and side by side has been a lot of fun and really very interesting. I'm amazed it's been nearly two years.

:bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian:

5. Quinton O'Connor

Some of my friends ask me why it is I know of all these nineties sci-fi gems and how I'm so big into genre television and film when there's such a rut of quality items these days. The simple answer is also the best one: I was into it as a kid, and that happened to be during the nineties.

You know, back when it was good.

6. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be ignominious of this thread to simply disappear from the front of the DS9 Forum. I mean, aside from the "5-world [sic]" game thread, it's currently the biggest on here! Though it'd be egotistical of me to request it be stickied for posterity's sake, wouldn't it. So, to keep it going, here's a bunch of random statistics I made up:

Number Of References To Other Sci-Fi Shows:

% Of B5 Episodes Followed By A Pemmer Harge Post:

Number Of Times GodBen Self-Deprecated:

Instances Of kai winn Derailing The Thread:

DevilEyes Essays

Vacations I Went On:

Times I Hardly Watched An Episode:

Total Shuttle Crashes:

Total Instances of '47':

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. Quinton O'Connor

That's... awesome.

I'm a big fan of kai winn's derailments. Speaking of which, where has she been lately?

8. Sykonee

Seemed to disappear the moment the episode her avatar comes from came up. Coincidence?

9. Quinton O'Connor

Leave it to ol' Garak to confirm suspicions. That's right, ladies and gentlemen; kai winn was the embodiment of that episode and as soon as Sykonee viewed it, she disappeared.

10. TheGodBen

I don't think it qualifies as self-deprecation when it's true. The reality is that I have no real skills, I'm unlikeable, ignorant and gormless. I really don't know why anybody pays any attention to me.

11. Pemmer Harge

:lol:

I suspect the percentage of my replies that just considered B5 vs DS9 and ignored whatever Voyager episode was on that week is pretty high as well!

12. Sykonee

With all the wrestling/boxing allegories in this thread, I decided to do a special Bonus Round of three episodes that actually has boxing/fighting in it!

DS9 - For The Uniform (S5)
    VOY - The Fight (S5)
    B5 - TKO (S1)

Actually, should DS9 even be here? I mean, sure, Sisko beats the crap out of a punching bag, but that's all the actual fisticuffs we see from the guy. Maybe a better episode to use would be Q-Less, since there's an actual bit of boxing going on there. Unfortunately, it doesn't demonstrate Sisko's tenacity, and Q's got a glass jaw, so it wasn't much of a fight. The punching bag was more of a man than Q was.

So between VOY and B5 then. Bah, B5 totally takes it. Walker Smith was spillin' blood from his opponents, and had the audience in the palm of his hands by the end of the fight. Chakotay looked dazed and confused out there, stumblin' around while shouting nonsense. And he doesn't even finish the fight! C'mon, man, what's the point of gettin' in the ring if you ain't goin' t' man up?

On the other hand, Boothby was a better Mickey than old alien dude. On the other hand, Chakotay's crazy old grandpa wasn't as interesting a side-plot as Jewish ceremonies. It's a tie there.

I'm giving the decision to B5 here. As far as crappy fighting episodes go, TKO was the lesser evil.

Winner
    B5

13. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Ew. One of B5's worst vs. one of VOY's. This thread has totally jumped the shark - I find that there are now many better, fresher threads throughout TrekBBS that are far more interesting.

:p

14. TheGodBen

This week, the audience loses. :(

15. Pemmer Harge

Heh, TKO has its problems, but it wipes the floor with The Fight! :p

Mutai!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  16. Quinton O'Connor

Not to sound like an arrogant Niner or anything, but you should have kept the DS9 episode in the competition because, uhh... it's definitely better than the VOY and B5 opponents.

17. TheGodBen

Next, review episodes about industrial disputes:

B5: By Any Means Necessary
    DS9: Bar Association
    Voyager: Worst Case Scenario
    TNG: Shades of Gray

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Into the sands of blood steps The Fight, bravest of its series!

And now, the Sho-rin: TKO!

Let the Mutai begin.

Fight with courage...and honour...

19. Sykonee

I'm not comparing them based on episode merits tho', but rather the gimmick. That said...
    Unfortunately, SoG didn't air during DS9's run. There is one TNG episode that *might* work tho'.

Blue Collar Whining Week
    DS9 - Bar Association (S4)
    TNG - Journey's End (S7)
    VOY - Worst Case Scenario (S3)
    B5 - By Any Means Necessary (S1)

Okay, so Native Americans (First Nations as they're known here in Canuckland) aren't exactly the same thing, but it's a similar premise, of Big Corporate Evil coming in and tramplin' on the rights of the little guy. But, they folded! Huh? What kind of stand-for-rights was that? Damn TNG and all its compromises.

And the stand-for-rights didn't even happen on VOY. Instead of seeing Chakotay having balls and standing up to the Evil Janeway Corporation, it's all a simulation that even the real Chakotay disbelieves could happen. Man, what a whipped cur he is. Maybe he's secretly on Janeway's payroll or fears Tuvok comin' in breakin' some knee caps, eh?

Plus, it isn't a good sign that in both cases here, it's the Native Americans being defeated. That's sooo un-PC, man.

Okay, so it's Rom's union versus the Dock Workers. Well, the Dock Workers could bust heads if they really wanted to, and a lot of them really want to bust heads. On the other hand, Rom's union has much nicer lookin' busts!:drool:

Right, right. Focus. Uh, neither 'worker's plight' plot is terribly interesting, but I'm giving the nod to DS9 in this case. Brunt made for a better villain than Mr. Slick (or whatever his name was), and at least Sisko didn't get dragged into the whole fiasco (well, aside from dealing with Worf-O'Brien-Bashir's entanglement).

Whoa, Rom wins? What a lucky guy.

Winner
    DS9

Next:
    Hey, any other Gimmick Versus to suggest?:techman:

20. Quinton O'Connor

Nice.

Maybe an inquisition kind of mash-up? DS9's, well, "Inquisition", B5's "Comes the Inquisitor", and... whatever else. :shrug:

I don't know, man, it's late and I'm tired.