Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I hated her at first too, but Jool does get better... unlike Jar Jar.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm glad she gets better. She's been pretty annoying the last two episodes, pretty much just screaming and complaining.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This thread be hurtin' mesa feelings. :(

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Don't worry, he's not talking about you, he's talking about Chiana. And since most of us have a fairly high opinion of Chiana, we all see it as him paying you a compliment :devil:

5. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Ah, Jool, she's a Screamer isn't she? :p

6. kirk55555

Different Destinations (Farscape) - This...was not a great episode. I'm not a huge fan of time travel stories anyway (there are some ones I like, but also a lot I don't) and this one wasn't terrible, but just mediocre. There were a lot of annoying character moments in this (Jool is rapidly challenging Jar jar for the title of "Character I most want to see die". She was really bad in this episode. Stark was also annoying, but he still hasn't reached Jar jar/Jool's level. The nurse killing the general and condeming herself and everyone there (from that time) to death by doing it was just stupid. What really annoyed me was when she threatened John. Sure, he was trying to help the general escape, but it was the nurse who doomed everyone by killing the guy, it wasn't John's fault. I did like when Chiana and Rygel are in Zhaan's room, and neither of them can bring themselves to take any of her things. That was a nice moment. Overall, I didn't hate this episode, but its not a time travel story I enjoyed.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I rather liked it just for being a deconstruction of the old "we went back in time and changed something and now have to fix it" cliché that shows like Trek have done so many times. The fact that (in true Farscape style) just about everything that can go wrong, does go wrong and there's no happy ending really appeals to me.

Oh and before anyone says anything....
    Yes I realise in season 4 they go and do that exact plot with 'Kansas'....and yet I'm fine wth that too. ;)

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't recognize the title, but now that I've looked it up I realize I really liked this episode. And Jool is one of my favorite characters.

9. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Babylon 5 is awesome, and Farscape is good.

Unfortunately Farscape devolved into "The John Crichton Show" after the first couple of seasons, which made it less good.

Babylon 5 has Delenn, and Farscape has Zhaan. Two of the best characters of all time ever, (Earth: Final Conflict has Da'an which completes the trinity) so it's really a flip of the coin.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Farscape "The John Chrichton Show" from the beginning?

11. The Borg Queen

They pretty much jumped the shark after they
    split the party and made up a convoluted a way to have two Johns so each of them could go with a group so Ben Browder could get moar scr33n tiem yay!

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was actually one of my favorite points in the show, or at least lead to one of my favorites. I thought it was really interesting seeing the one who survived dealing with the other groups reactions to him, and the relationships that had changed while they were apart.

13. kirk55555

Its been over a week between watching, but I got a bit burned out so I took a break. I do still plan to continue watching Farscape.

Eat Me (Farscape) - This episode was ok. It had Chiana's only good moment so far, seeing her slap Jool several times. It was great, since Jool might just beat out Chiana as thbe most annoying character ever, if she stays on for awhile. If Chiana had ended up being eaten by the crazy cannibals, this would have been the best episode ever :rommie: This was a pretty creepy episode, and it got really frightening when they cloned Jar Jar :eek: That said, the episode ended badly. There are now two Chrichtons. Has the series jumped the shark? Probably, although I'll reserve judgement for a little while. This seems like the stupidest idea since Chiana was introduced, but maybe it will go somewhere. It does make me ask questions. Do both John's have a fake Scorpius in their head? If only one did, then you could find out which is the original (if mind Scorpius is even around, he didn't appear this episode). I'd say that I hope the clone goes away quickly, but its Farscape. If its stupid or nonsensical (like Chiana, mind Scorpius, etc), its probably going to stay around forever. :vulcan: Still, I'd say I'm still enjoying the series.

14. Sindatur

I'm pretty sure there is no original and there is no clone. They are 100% the same as a starting point. They are both "The" original

15. kirk55555

How would that be possible? There was one John, now there are two. Since there weren't two before, when the guy used his machine, one of them was created. Even if they are completely identical, one wasn't around before the weapon/machine was used on John, so one would have to be the new John, not the original. It doesn't really matter if they ever call one the original, its just a weird idea which is probably going to be a big thing for awhile.

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Both of them were around before the machine was used. They simply used to be the same person, now they aren't. There is no difference in their pasts, no difference in their memories, no difference in their personalities. The only differences between them are their experiences from here on out.

17. Sindatur

Don't think of it as copied, think of it as split, except unlike the ST:TOS transporter accident (One dark side, one light side), nothing was lost in either Crichton

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've always figured that neither Crichton is the original Crichton, and that the Crichton we had been watching up to that point ceased to exist when he was split into two completely identical but otherwise separate Crichtons. Kind of a depressing thought, but I think it makes more sense than any other explanation.

19. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I don't think it's any harder to wrap your head around than the notion of parallel realities. Consider:

1) We routinely accept alternate versions of characters can exist in other realities.
    2) The notion that making one decision or another can at any time create a parallel reality is not new.

So splitting one person into two, with neither having the better claim on "realness", is pretty standard stuff. The only real difference here is that the two versions can interact routinely.

20. The Borg Queen

Think about cellular mitosis, the single cell splits into two identical daughter cells, neither of which is a "copy of the original".

Both new cells are the original cell, there's just two of them now.

It's the same thing that happened to John there.