Versions of ST:TMP on DVD and/or Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by BoredShipCapt'n, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi! I know that ST:TMP has been packaged and repackaged in different ways on DVD and/or Blu-ray. I don't own any of them, and I was hoping someone might give me a quick rundown of the different releases available and the pros and cons of each. Thanks! :)

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Get the Blu-ray which contains the theatrical release - the definitive version of the movie and hands down the best presentation on home video. Beyond that, you are limited to the Director's Cut on the 2 disc DVD. Both come with a load of bonus features.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Might as well get both since you can usually find the DE for five bucks. :techman:

4. LOKAI of CHERON

^ Fair point, Bill. :techman:

5. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Yup. I bought all the 2 disc SEs of all 10 films, then I bought the 2 box sets for the different cuts of 1, 2 and 6 and all the different extras. (I bought most of them used so it wasn't too much money).

6. BoredShipCapt'n

What version or versions are in the box sets? :confused:

7. milo bloom

This box set of the TOS movies:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...51687&sr=8-1&keywords=star+trek+dvd+movie+box

has the theatrical cuts of 1, 2 and 6. The 2 disc SE's have the director's cuts of 1, 2 and 6. All the other movies (TOS and TNG) are the same cuts in either set.

This box set I linked too is actually the first time the theatrical cut of The Undiscovered Country has been presented on home video, and the first time the movie has been available in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio (instead of being opened up to 2.00:1).

(sidebar, I also did a little hack to this box where I replaced the bonus disc case with a 2 disc case and put my DVD copy of the 2009 movie in there since I also had it on Bluray).

8. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Definitive . . . ?

I prefer the Director's Cut of that film; it was just a much better movie . . . in my opinion.

9. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    The theatrical cut is missing a few great Spock scenes, but it's not a movie-breaking loss. The biggest issue really between the director's cut and the theatrical cut is the pacing. The film already looks fantastic. The extra gloss given by the new effects is just an added bonus. The pacing of the theatrical cut is just way more sluggish, but I suppose if you haven't accidentally broken the fast-forward button of your controller, then there's not much of a problem anyway.

10. BoredShipCapt'n

Thanks, everyone! :beer:

11. LOKAI of CHERON

Personally, I feel the pacing of the theatrical cut is far superior and fits the mood, style and overall intent of the movie with grandiose aplomb. Yes, it has a slow pace, so what? I love the awe-inspiring, epic and beautifully executed "pace" for what it is - just as I enjoy the radically disparate and livelier style of Trek '09 for example. I feel the DC was an attempt to alter the film's original feel due to the endless parrotlike "slow Motion Picture" whingeing, bleating and whining over years. And yes, I am aware Robert Wise was at the helm for the DC.

12. milo bloom

Of course the "definitive" cut would be a remastered SLV, in widescreen with finished FX. There's so many little character beats that are missing from both the theatrical and director's cut that I grew up with watching the SLV on VHS and TV showings.

13. BoredShipCapt'n

That would be worthwhile, wouldn't it? :(

14. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

The pacing of the Theatrical is PERFECT.

Everyone said that from day one!

15. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Agreed, except for the fx part. I'd rather have that airlock scene removed than new fx for it. And if it was just left the way it was, that would also be fine with me. I just want the original, unaltered SLV in widescreen and possibly HD.

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well I started a thread on this subject last week and after careful consideration of the comments I have decided that the best thing for paramount to do is to release all versions of The Motion Picture onto bluray :)

A special super edition with 3 discs, one containing the theatrical cut the others the DE and the ELV. A 4th disc will contain bonus features. In addition the movie will be fully recut from original camera negative and the visual effects rebuilt from the original VFX Elements. The DE will have its new visual effects remade in HD by ILM.

:cool:

17. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

This is what I want as well. But I wouldn't mind two Enterprise FX shots fixed.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I really think it needs a 'make your own cut' option out of all available footage, and the further option of putting your own material in. Wouldn't happen in a million years, but it would really put some brains to work overtime, especially how to solve the recutting of soundfx and music issues.

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I want an ELV with the updated effects and shortened reaction shots from the DE.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the DE most of all, except I'm still not sure why they didn't include the extended version of the McCoy/Kirk argument ("As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness"), since it is obviously a better version of the scene and requires absolutely no special effects.