Smallville 9x03 "Rabid" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Oct 9, 2009.

?

Grade "Rabid"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

13.9%
  2. Red/Blue Blur (Above Average)

33.3%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

30.6%
  4. Kal (Below Average)

13.9%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

8.3%
  1. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm torn here, the concept was incredibly bad, but there was some good character development here.

2. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Tess Mercer, She Devil with a Sword!

Mr. Gaeta is stealing Chloe's thunder...TAKE THAT, DOORMAT!!

Zombie Lois making copies! No time for the Kent-meister!

Ollie "Drama" Queen is lame x20.

Zod: "Take initiative?! What the hell? Don't you know we are supposed dick around for the next 18 or so episodes until the season finale confrontation?"

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I'm going to say Excellent. I actually liked the zombie bit and it led to some decent fighting scenes (unlike Doomsday) like with Tess and the sword and Lois knocking Clark through the window.

Character development and storyline front was good too. Clark/Lois was pretty good and not obnoxious. Ollie is being a pissy little bitch but watching him fall apart is interesting. Gaeta's character continues to make a good contribution and now he knows what Chloe has been doing. The end with Zod was pretty cool too.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That's what I was expecting of the third episode of the season.

By the third episode, things are relatively back to normal

Oh then you won't like this

www.kryptonsite.com/smallvillespoilers.htm

5. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's not what that scene means. He pulled the picture OUT of his wallet, into the album, and literally closed the book on her. It's contrasting Ollie still having Lois's picture in his wallet, being still not over her.

6. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

I just lost patience with this episode. I channel surfed - I've never had interest in this zombie virus stuff anywhere else, and don't see the point of doing it now, except to be trendy.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. That wasn't about prolonging the Lana thing, it was about Clark finally relegating Lana to the past.

I thought the zombie stuff was well done, too. It was good enough to give small children nightmares. And, really, how can you go wrong with a drooling, red-eyed Zombie Lois . . . ?

Talk about an action figure waiting to happen!

8. DarthPipes

Right. It took him nine seasons to do it but he finally did it.

9. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

I see Ollie beating himself up and burning the Green Arrow leathers as he is trying to come to grips with the death of Jimmy and the role he played in it.

Remember last season, Ollie hired Jimmy. And in Jimmy fulfilling his role as Ollie's employee, Jimmy assisted in tracking down Davis. Ollie is feeling guilty. That he failed as a hero to be good enough to save him. We know he was not at fault, that Jimmy was already neck-deep into the situation with his relationship with Chloe and, to a lesser extent, Clark. But guilt rarely follows logic, and Ollie is placing himself at fault. The man was stoically crying at Jimmy's funeral, while the rest of the League split up from the guilt of what happened, and Clark was attempting to turn away from his human upbringing. This is just how Ollie is dealing with it. There are so few people who know he is Green Arrow, that it is a guilt he cannot freely share. He might have with Lois this episode in the elevator, but she went zombie on him and that was that.

Also, regarding the Kryptonians, they are clones who do not realize they are clones. The clone of Jor-El may know, as it was his original who took the blood samples and duplicated their memories within the Orb he planned to stash safely away on Earth. In fact, he could have done it while visiting Earth back in the 60's when he went by the name Joe Rell. But that was before he had a son as well, so he may not know that his son has been on Earth for a couple of decades. That is, until he reads a recent international copy of the Daily Planet and sees a story about the Blur leaving his family crest behind as a marker. It will likely be that that draws him to Metropolis to meet his son. I'd also wager that Clark takes Jor-El to the Fortress where the Jor-El AI downloads a memory update into his original's clone. And then he winds up sacrificing himself to take out the rest of the Kryptonians, possibly sucking them all into the Phantom Zone. (which, of course, Jor-El had built with a back door for his bloodline)

I really liked this episode. They did the zombie look without really doing zombies. And in the end, it was Hamilton and Chloe who actually saved the day while Clark only assisted them with a blood donation. A nice change of pace, and good character development all in all. Although I did nearly yak when I saw Lana, but I liked how it was used to show Clark closing the book on her. And I also noticed a habit in the making of when there was trouble everywhere Clark's first thought was "Lois".

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Trendy or not, you can never have too many zombies . . . :)

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It was alright. Nothing special. Then again, I'm not a big Zombie fan.

The Lana "cameo" didn't bother me, but I did like was it represented. He took her out of his wallet and threw her picture in a book. It was suggestive to me of fully moving on (about friggin time too).

What was with the swords? Very Highlander-ish.

Also, thanks CW for spoiling the episode. There was no hint of a Zod connection until the very end, yet they put it in their episode description.

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Average episode, very Episode 3 for Smallville. Is Oliver going to get a new Green Arrow suit when he quits being a baby??? I was worried when Clark pulled out the Lana pic, but it is good he is moving on...to Lois lol

S.

13. DarthPipes

Yeah, Ollie is beating himself up over the whole Jimmy thing. It's like he was in love with him or something. ;)

Combine the fact that he learned Lionel killed his parents and he's wrestling with the guilt over killing Lex, Ollie hasn't been playing with a full deck for a while. Not to mention his inability to stop Doomsday.

14. Taylirious

Oliver is dealing with alot...but so has Clark(I guess that isn't say much). Making Oliver hit rockbottom is good for his character to grow and when he bounces back it will be great. I thought Clark was going to face his "darkest hour" in season 9...wonder what that will be???

S.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since 28 days when Zombies got "fast" I have quite enjoyed the concept, and as a pocket story this wasn't bad, but I'm in a foul mood that it won't take the cast 2 seasons to recover for this outbreak both emotionally and physically. Hells Lana got a footjob from a horse that once and they gave her (shrodinger's) Batman to make out with for half a season.

Almost every episode could colour a season but they don't. :(

16. Taylirious

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, before the move they averaged double that.

18. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought the enzyme connection to Kryptonians and Davis was interesting. The zombies sort of looked like a precursor to Doomsday with the red eyes and foaming mouths coupled with a similar howl.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Hadn't picked up on that. Good catch and Zod did create Doomsday according to the possessed Lois last season.

20. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Maybe back on Krypton, KandorDoc would have gone on to help Zod create Dooms.