I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely interested in seeking out more Lynch films after the wonderful Twin Peaks and (hopefully) wonderful prequel film.

Anyways, I was looking up the (over the top maybe?) reactions to "Fire Walk with Me" and came across this gem from Tarantino giving his reaction to said film:

Now I haven't seen the film, so of course I can't comment one way or another on it's quality, but this quote is rather comical, coming from him. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Tarantino's films, but the man does come across like he believes his own hype.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Critical opinion of the movie has pretty much reversed since the movie's initial release. It's widely regarded by Lynch fans as a great movie. Wonder what Tarantino would say now.

The movie lacks the light-hearted feel of the series, but it still contains that sense of beauty and wonder. It's just harder to make the audience laugh I guess when your film focuses on incestual sexual abuse and demonic powers.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It's not so much Tarantino's opinion that bothered me, it's the asinine way he expressed it. Especially since he makes self indulgent films himself, one could say the exact same thing about him, that he's so far up his own ass lately...etc.

4. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

The film not entirely humorless. The opening prologue section is pretty light and contains some of the funnier bits of any Lynch film. Every time I watch the film I wish Lynch would have made a entire film with those characters.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I... like self-indulgence in art. I love paintings that were made just to satisfy the painter, films that were made without thought of the mass audience, and rock albums that contain 45 minute long songs about mental illness.

The less self-indulgent something is for me, the less pure it seems. Some of my absolute favourite modern films, such as Southland Tales and Sucker Punch are totally self-indulgent. I'm working on a novel right now whilst giving zero thought to my target audience or how to fully satisfy them. I feel no shame in this.

The more people a piece of work tries to please, the more diluted it has to become, and the more compromises it has to make.

My two pence.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That's what I'm getting at though, Tarantino is extremely self-indulgent (more so now than when he was just starting out). So to me the comment comes off like the pot calling the kettle black.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of all the talk about it going on in here I got out the soundtrack today and listened to it. :cool:

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Does the soundtrack include 'Laura's theme?' That's my absolute favorite musical piece from the television show.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

All of the nature of the lodge stuff is fascinating to me, endlessly so. Couple that with Heather Graham's character knowing Heisenberg and it more than makes up for James being on the road and all that crap.

Season 3 would have been more Major Briggs, and since he was along with Albert my fave, I'd've been so there.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

There hasn't been a decent SW movie since EMPIRE, so I'm not seeing the distinction here. better ship stuff in JEDI, but more fuzzies too.

Back on topic, Lynch did NOT have the chance to do the movie as planned. Everything I ever read about the movie indicates that the whole proposed film changed entirely because Kyle did not want to be in it or tie himself up for any period of time, and so this was what they came up with as a stop-gap, hoping to do more films if this first cheapie (6.5 mil, and still didn't make a profit, supposedly) was successful. I'm pretty sure a lot of this got discussed in CINEFANTASTIQUE before the movie came out, so it isn't just stuff from WRAPPED IN PLASTIC.

The movie really messed me up. Movies don't get to me that way. Yeah, I cry when Bronson dies at the end of Magnificent 7, but I mean I don't get shook up by horror type stuff. Yet when I was driving home after FWWM, I had to pull off the road because I just started shaking. I think the music from the bar scene somehow got under my skin and started resonating or something.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm 100% fine with the way the story has been wrapped by the end of FWWM. It might not be what everyone wanted but it is an ending.

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have liked to have seen that as well. Of course, we never got that. Instead we got an aborted plot line, a couple of cliffhangers (one involving Audry being sorta campy) and a prequel that really didn't tie anything up

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean "The Pink Room"? That's traditionally been my favorite track on the album...

That's on the show's soundtrack, not the one for FWWM.

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season one is some of the most brilliant television ever produced.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Actually I was trying to ask if that piece was featured in the movie. Though your answer seems to tell me that it's not.

16. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

No, it is (after all, it is a film about Laura Palmer!), and I think snippets are used on the FWWM soundtrack, but the full Laura's theme isn't on the film OST simply because it was already on the series soundtrack. The FWWM one mostly has the film's new music with the tracks used from the show avaliable elsewhere.

I love FWWM and think in this one case, the actual backstory we're given and more importantly, Laura Palmer herself is more interesting once her life is actually revealed than the cryptic and spread out clues given before. That's incredibly rare for a prequel, IMO.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

^^^^Thanks for that answer. As I said above it's one of my favorite pieces of music.

I can't remember what the last episode I posted about was, but I continue on. Even though the show feels pretty different now that they've gotten past the Laura Palmer story, it's still holding my interest. The Windom Earle storyline is interesting, but right now what's fascinating me more is the ongoing story lines of some of the side characters: The story with Big Ed and Nadine is I think my favorite story line. I also liked seeing David Warner show up and the guy who played the "Old Man" from Robocop that are both involved in the Josie storyline.

The movie should arrive tomorrow in the mail, and I will probably finish off the series by Friday, so that's when I plan to watch it. I might make myself popcorn and everything.

18. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

I had a similar experience after seeing it in a theater in 1992. I'd been a fan of the show beforehand, but after the movie ended I walked out of the theater and felt completely disoriented and almost couldn't walk at all. I do recall that feeling starting around the time the bar scene came around as well. Anyway, no other movie has done that to me before or since. It was a bit overwhelming.

Aldo, it's a great series and a great followup movie as well, glad you're enjoying it so far. :)

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I hope you guys aren't over-hyping the movie too much ;) I'd hate to be let down. But I have a feeling I won't, though the fact that Lara Flynn Boyle is not in the movie is already a disappointment for me (though Moira Kelly certainly looks the part from the trailer I watched).

I watched another two episodes today. Like I said I'm really digging the Windom Earle storyline, I suppose now that I'm nearing the end I'm a tad disappointed there may not be an actual resolution...but that's what happens when shows get canceled. I think I have about three episodes left of the show. If I can finish all three tomorrow I will watch the movie in the evening.

One last thing, since I'm so close to the end of the series I've lifted my self imposed embargo of reading in depth discussions of the series. And I came across an interesting piece of news: supposedly Lynch intends to do a Season 3 that's set 25 years after the last episode the show? Anyone heard anything about that? And how much validity is there to those statements.

With Netflix being an outlet for long cancelled shows, it seems more possible than ever that if Twin Peaks would be brought back, now would be the time to do it.

20. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

The series ends well, in my opinion, although it does end on several cliffhangers as well. I always left the followup to my imagination. You'll see what I mean shortly.

And I haven't heard anything about Lynch planning a followup series, but it would be cool if true.