QonoS and its moon

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RoJoHen, May 27, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And not nearly enough lens flare.

2. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I don't get this criticism from Star Trek fans. Especially Original Series era. Star Trek as it was made was pretty much all about being over the top chaos featuring Kirk, Spock, and McCoy most of the time. And there were a lot of stories far more ridiculous in TOS and even in the Original cast movies, The Search for God in STV, Whales saving the Earth in IV, and I won't even go into how ridiculous some of the TOS episodes story lines were. That's what made them great though. Being chaotic and over the top is pretty much what Star Trek is for me. I don't like discussion/technobabble resets that pretty much became almost all of TNG era.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think it would happen almost immediately as the weight of miles of rock under gravity would overcome its tensile strength pretty fast, crack and fall towards the gravitational center. It might be lumpyfor a while, but it's not going to to be a half-hollow shell.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess the only thing worth adding to all this is that, in TUC, the Praxis explosion generated a subspace shock wave. There was some of that magic science fiction technology at work, to "explain" how the shock wave could so dramatically and immediately reach Excelsior, many light-years away.

So, one could apply some of that same handwavium, so that other forces, perhaps originating in subspace, are holding the moon's particles near each other in a way that conventional gravity would not. The space around the moon could be lethal; the particles not hanging in space the way they normally should could be taken as a sign to keep away. "Ill space, do not enter."

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

For an explosion to have a subspace shockwave, wouldn't that imply that the cause was somehow subspace related?

In ST VI, Praxis is identified as a Klingon moon.

I have thoughts about this moon.

Valtane:
    Sulu:
    Valtane:
    Rand:
    What's happening? Some of the ship's sensors can't detect the moon, but other sensors can visualize the moon. Then there is the message from a moon that was destroyed. How did Kerla transmit from a destroyed moon that doesn't exist?

Later, in the briefing I learned, from Spock:

I am led to believe by some sources that the moon's explosion caused this event. Yet, wouldn't the explosion have devastated the atmosphere, by blowing a portion of it off the planet? Early, I learned that Praxis was a key energy production facility. Was this facility manufacturing a product not found elsewhere that continually replenished the ozone layer of Qo'noS? And, when this source was destroyed, the Klingons didn't have a second location for this product, and the planet would be using the reserves to replenish the ozone layer?

6. CorporalCaptain

I assumed that the visualization of the whole moon was simply a computer overlay that showed where the moon would be, if it still existed.

The actual transmission from Praxis was immediately before Kerla's. It was of a Klingon desperately saying something amidst a fire. His transmission gave out, I'd say probably when he was killed and his transmitter was destroyed (though perhaps maybe the Klingon government jammed it or otherwise cut it off).

Kerla came on when the first Klingon's transmission gave out, to warn the Federation away, and from Kerla's words (not to mention, the fact that he was not in the process of dying as he spoke), one can infer that he himself was not on Praxis.

Handwavium has lots of interesting properties, doesn't it?

7. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am re-reading the script. According to the script, when they show where the moon was located, there was "Nothing there.". Furthermore, the message came from the Klingon High Command, not from Praxis.

In the briefing, Spock states the issue and a possible solution.

Bold - what was said in the movie
    Italics - what was added
    Underlined - what was omitted

http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/literature329/tuc.txt

8. CorporalCaptain

9. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Well we probably don't need to use scientific fact into this. Losing atmosphere would be the least of the worries if we had our moon blow up. We would basically lose the tidal pull the moon gives us changing the earths rotation completely. In the long run the atmosphere would probably be replaced eventually but we would have drastic planetary climate changes because and gravitational shifts on the planet. We would see climate changes in a few days not over thousands or millions of years like we've had the last half a billion years or so. But again this is fake science not real science.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Take a look at the action scenes in the Abrams movies. It's all shaky cam, quick cuts and busy as fuck. Take the Kelvin scene for example, all it is is missiles and phaser railguns going off amongst explosions, with each shot lasting a fraction of a second while the camera shakes. Trying to figure out what's going on is hard enough, but whatever you do happen to see is obscured by all the lens flares. Nothing before Abrams took over was anywhere near that chaotic. Just because I want to know what's going on in a scene doesn't mean I'm some kind of dinosaur clinging to TNG's technobabble discussions.

11. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I shot out of my chair in shock at that visual.

12. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Clearly you do not understand the Khancept of humor.:vulcan:

Or that fun to watch, really. Even the Nemesis space battle was relatively tame by comparison and is almost quaint by today's standards.

More importantly, this pattern is pretty much the way space battles have been filmed since at least 2007, in a pattern that was basically pioneered by Transformers and Battlestar Galactica (though the latter does it much better than the former). It's not just Star Trek, it's the way sci-fi is done now; 2010s style is pretty ubiquitous, and I suspect you're going to see something very similar in Ender's Game.

You KNOW what's going on. There's an exchange of fire, one ship is getting shot at and shooting back. The play by play "He shot us with a phaser beam sir!" "Return fire with forward phasers, then turn five degrees starboard!" "Phasers fired! We hit his starboard bow and weakened his shields by ten percent!" isn't all that interesting and takes a lot more time to do, which is why nobody does it that way anymore.

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Ever wonder why the subspace shockwave was perfectly circular but the moon clearly shows the blast went off to one side?

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a reach, but if we assume the moon was actually oriented so that it was the "upper half" that was destroyed, is it possible the physical blast went "upwards" while the subspace shockwave radiated outward as shown?

15. CorporalCaptain

So that the shock wave and the part of the moon that's left share a common axis of symmetry? Sure! Why not!

16. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They only did that because they didn't have the money to show it with a VFX shot.

17. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Which would have been a good excuse if "Star Trek: Generations" hadn't been made.

By the time we got to "First Contact" there is literally no reason whatsoever for starships to still be firing phaser banks exactly one at a time, or for that matter, for starships engaged in combat to NOT be constantly firing at each other every possible second that they are within firing range of each other.

Kelvin vs. Narada has that kind of realism to it: it's the kind of fight you'd see if, say, USS New Jersey got into a skirmish with the Kirov. Should the Captain really have to specifically order every single discharge by every single weapon on the ship every time he wants those weapons to fire? "Fire phasers! Fire them again! And again! And fire again! And now one more time! And still another time! And fire phasers again! And fire two torpedoes with those phasers! Okay, now... fire phasers! And another torpedo! And now another phasers!"

Captain says "Fire all phasers" then it ought to look like this.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  18. The Wormhole

I think FKnight was commenting on how that shot was reused in Generations.

And that's one of the reasons I don't care for the Transformers movies. And while BSG may have had too much fun with the shaky cam, it at least was able to stay focused on something for longer than 3.7 seconds and didn't have two dozen simultaneous lens flares going off.

I'm not saying the whole thing has to be on the bridge with the captain shouting orders and the officers describing everything that happens. That does get tedious. I want to see the battle, see the ships fly around each other firing weapons at each other. In all honesty, I can't really make sense of any of the fights in the Abrams movies, it's just mindless shooting and explosions. More realistic, maybe. But it doesn't engage the audience. To engage the audience you need beauty shots consisting of crisp clear visuals. That is an entertaining battle to me.

19. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

How exciting were the battles in TWOK?

20. The Wormhole

The Mutara Nebula is awesome to look at! James Horner's music also enhances it so much. That is a wonderfully done battle scene.