The ENT and Melakon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Melakon, Feb 6, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad Archer didn't make a kissing career out of this like Kirk did.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well, T'Pol tried to warn him early on, bringing up Vulcan protocols, which we know Starfleet eventually adopted. I was never sure what era the natives were supposed to represent. Early on, a sailing vessel seen from orbit is described as a clipper ship, which would mean at least early 19th century. But we don't see anyone using horses or buggies, just people pushing handcarts. Star Trek often made it look like domesticed animals didn't exist on other planets, for budgetary reasons. The equipment in the apothecary woman's laboratory seems to position the natives between 16th-18th century.

I can see flaws in the episode, since this is the first time I've been able to rewatch them since they originally aired. But I still liked the basic story. I wanted so much to like Enterprise when it started out in those early days, but the episodes I saw usually gave me a bad initial impression. This was the first one that didn't, though other people here seem to despise it, raving about earlier episodes that did nothing for me at all. I didn't even like "Broken Bow", but I never voluntarily gave up on the show.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T'Pol usually would be better off telling Archer the exact opposite of what she wanted him to do...

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Did ya get a good look at her, Teacake? :D

5. Melakon

She must be a real good kisser.

6. teacake

The first time I saw Civilization I remember thinking, wow this is a classic TOS ep. Beam down, things are not as they seem, kiss girl, make speeches about non-interference, fix everything. I think it's a fine episode along those lines, I'm just glad ENT didn't keep churning out that style of eps.

7. Melakon

Yes, it would have gotten old fast if they'd done it all the time, but it was the Classic Trek feeling that sold me on it. And the relationship was well done, Bakula and guest Diane DiLascio seemed to have genuine on-screen chemistry. I should have credited Trek vet director Mike Vejar for the performances.

It was probably the turning point episode for me, making me want to see what they'd try next.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: Terra Nova

How much ammunition did the original colonists take with them? Must have been a shitload considering they still had some left ninety-years later. :lol:

9. R. Star

It's actually amazing when you think about it how many alien cultures kiss to show affection. I'd like to see an alien race that sticks their tongues up the other person's nostrils or something to show affection. :p

10. Melakon

Malcolm seemed to recognize one of the weapons as an early EM type, which also raises the question of what type of power source it used to not run out of juice. Or maybe he was just bullshitting to make conversation.

Archer did take a risk there, and more than a possible slap in the face. The kiss could have been the equivalent of an upraised finger, for all he knew.

Years ago I did a pseudo-Trek parody render, with a Kirk-type guy holding a gun and giving someone offscreen the finger. Various things were identified, like 1950s hairstyle, antimatter weapon. The finger was identified as the Universal Translator.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I always imagined the EM-33, mentioned in Fight or Flight, as more crude beam weapon. The way the Novan weapons fired gave the illusion of bullets being fired the way we saw only sparks coming off of the cave walls.

But their is no definitive answer one way or the other. :techman:

12. Melakon

Maybe there's a way to home-manufacture the ammo. Just like the people in the later "North Star" apparently made their own weapons and ammunition for 300 years. It seems unlikely the NorthStarians would have originally had them in their possession, considering the reason they were displaced.

13. Melakon

1:10 - Fortunate Son

TV Blurb: Travis gets to talk, T'Pol tells the truth, and some guy hides a secret.

An ambitious first officer aboard a freighter makes a bad decision when his captain is injured during a battle with pirates.

There is a nice opening beauty shot of the ECS Fortunate followed by a shot showing the size of its largest interior room. I wasn't sure if it was a 2d cgi painting or a full 3d mesh.

For some reason, Enterprise assisting a damaged freighter and the psychological aspects of the story remind me of a film. I'm not sure if it's actually there, or if it's really a film, or just some of the moments from various military productions I'm pushing together in my head. The final act wasn't quite what I expected, but I'm trying to avoid major plot points.

Anthony Montgomery gets good screen time with several scenes. He certainly makes Travis look uncomfortable during a one-on-one meeting with Archer.

Guest star Lawrence Monoson plays Matthew Ryan, who grudgingly accepts Archer's help after a fight with Nausicaans. Travis tries to bond with him but meets resistance, with the intelligent but blunt Ryan giving him something in turn to think about. I liked Monoson's work here.

Next: "Cold Front"

14. R. Star

Archer in this one just blew me away... "What gives you the right to take prisoners?" Yeah they were only attacking them. The only other options are to let them steal your stuff, or kill them. Then Archer's so concerned about Nausican response to this.... yeah, I mean if you're not careful they might start attacking your cargo ships or something.

Since Starfleet clearly wasn't protecting them, as the premise of the episode clearly stated this was the first time a Starfleet ship was responding to a distress call, they have every right to defend themselves. Now they probably did take it a bit too far with their counter attack though.

15. Melakon

Ryan was an example of the Peter Principle, where a man rises to his level of incompetence.

16. Melakon

1:11 - Cold Front

TV Blurb: Silik gets religion, T'Pol's a nonbeliever, Daniels spills his guts.

The Temporal Cold War starts to simmer when Silik infiltrates a group making a pilgrimage aboard Enterprise. Written by Stephen Beck & Tim Finch. Directed by Robert Duncan McNeill.

Most of the action is aboard Enterprise, with some nice special effects and a large cast of recurring guests, speaking parts, and extras. Travis gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar (so to speak) on the bridge.

I was never a fan of the TCW because in the pilot, they tried to introduce too many things at once. Besides meeting the regulars, we get some arc we're supposed to follow with new aliens, new factions, and half naked girls tonguing butterflies.

But as I've mentioned elsewhere, I've liked John Fleck's work previously. Matt Winston was okay, but Daniels just comes off as some know-it-all schmuck to me.

The season's blooper reel has an outtake of Phlox reciting the pilgrims' litany, and John Billingsley phlux up.

Next: "Silent Enemy"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  17. teacake

I love the TCW and this episode excellent IMO. I liked the surprise of Silik's infiltration.

Daniels is a know it all schmuck, a rather hot know it all schmuck. But what we don't know yet is.. whose schmuck is he?

18. Melakon

Dang, I included a spoiler and I try to avoid them here. I can't judge Winston's looks, he's the wrong gender for me.

19. R. Star

I never did care for the TCW... too much nonsense, too little substance...

20. teacake

Wait I thought this wasn't a spoiler free thread because you've already seen the whole thing?