Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

All episodes in this batch are pretty decent, IMO. Interesting observsation about Maybourne being a Garak/Dukat type character. I never thought of it that way before, but yeah, I can totally see it.

2. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I doubt Carter spends much time at home.

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

Apparently on her off time she and the team watch women do battle in a ring of Jell-O. :D

The Maybourne, Dukat/Garak suggestion is interesting.

Wormhole Extreme is just as much fun on a rewatch, too. The humor is packed in cute layers, and quite quotable.

I liked the bit about "How can this not be a real show if we're doing it?" along with the part about getting paid.

4. The Wormhole

I always liked the prop guy in Wormhole X-Treme.

Marty: "Where are you going with that?"
    Prop Guy (holding fruit basket): "It's needed for scene 23."
    Marty: "Scene 23 is set on an alien world. Do you seriously expect aliens to be eating apples?"
    Prop Guy: "Why not? They speak English."

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. gturner

gturner Admiral

I also liked the bit about walking through walls that went "because you're *air quote* out of phase *air quote* " - "Then why don't I fall through the floor?"

Star Trek is guilty of that one, too. :)

I wish the producer had said 'because you're wearing ruby slippers.'

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

The answer I came up with was: "out of phase" episodes are already the bottom of the barrel. There's nowhere to fall to.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

5x13-Proving Ground: While watching this episode I was having flashbacks to TNG's Lower Decks at time. Miss thing Lt.Hailey is back with three more top tier recruits undergoing evaluation to see if they have what it takes to join the SGC. The whole episode is one big farce of an experiment set during a "Foothold" situation. The little nugget here is that Grace Park of soon to be nuBSG fame is one of the other 3 recruits. Season 5 is what 2002-ish now? This show has a way of revisiting characters, do we get her back before nuBSG starts, that was what '03 or '04?

5x14-48 Hours: While escaping Gou'ald under Tanith SG-1 is escaping back through the Gate. Teal'C takes an opportunity to get a lethal shot in at Tanith whose ship explodes into the Gate as he's escaping home. The surge forces the Gate to close before Teal'C an remerge on the other side. This was also very reminiscent of the Trek episodes where someone is caught in the transporters pattern buffer. In order to rescue Teal'C we need to work together with the Russians for their DHD. Don't think I missed that they have to work with Chekov again in a very Trek like episode. I'm also a fan of Gary Chalk for his Transformers voice work so it's nice to see him on camera in this show. Simmons shows up to add drama to the mix by ordering resuming Gate travel, which would kill Teal'C. De'Lancie is good at the bad guy role. Maybourne then shows up and Jack finally gets to ask him why he shot him, which he didn't. I'm going long on this one, sorry. Bottom line I liked this episode.

5x15-Summit: A meeting of Gou'ald System Lords is about to take place and the Tok'ra see this as way to eliminate them with a toxic poison in one place. In order to do so they need a human who can speak Gou'ald but is unknown to these System Lords. Enter Daniel Jackson, who will also use the chemical from the alien from Fifth Man, to make sure everyone sees him as whomever he need be. Especially when the surprise mystery uninvited guest in Osiris shows up, who does know Daniel due to her human host connection in Sarah. I thought the episode did a great job of building tension as it progressed. Meanwhile the Tok'ra have a spy in their midst and their secret base has been exposed. Seems the secret of the poison is out. SG-1 and SG-17(with team leader Lt.Elliott from the Proving Ground cadets) is attached to the mission. As the Tok'ra base is coming down around them one of the Tok'ra has to jump into Eliot to stay alive. Good episode.

5x16-Last Stand: Osiris reveals to the System Lords that she is the spokesperson for another....Anubis. Long since thought dead over 1000 yrs ago. The other Lords don't believe her of course. On the Tok'ra planet it's revealed that Eliot and his new Tok'ra host aren't faring so well. Jackson is going to try and capture Sarah/Osiris before releasing the poison by baiting her into a cargo hold of a shuttle. Sadly one of the other human slaves has gotten wise to Daniels game and sells him out to the Gou'ald Yu, the one Daniel has been serving. He has to abort and get to hidden ship where Jacob Carter has been. Elliott makes a big sacrifice on the Tok'ra world and is going to release the poison once the Jaffa and Gou'ald land on the planet killing as many as possible. Good conclusion on this two parter. With Elliott gone I only hope Lt.Hailey or Grace Parks Lt character shows back up soon, maybe start of season 6?

5x17-Fail Safe: SG-1 does Armageddon, I can hear the pitch in the writers room now. An asteroid is headed on a collision course with Earth and the Asgards are unable to assist in saving the world due to some non-interference clause in their pact with the Gou'ald. The dirty secret of the episode is that the asteroid is in fact artificially created and it's core packed with Naquita(sp), that may be the first attempt at spelling that I've made, and when it strikes Earth will wipe us out. So when things look bleak and this is revealed SG-1 who is stranded on the asteroid is beamed out by the Asgards....only after SG-1 has stretched the shuttles profile around the whole asteroid and warped through Earth, thus saving us. White House visits are going to be routine for this team. :lol:

8. The Wormhole

Excellent episodes this time around, except for Fail Safe. Although even that does have this excellent bit of dialogue:

O'Neill: "And I suppose if that asteroid hits and kill everyone on the planet, that would be 'unfortunate?'"
    Freyr: "Very."
    (Travelling trhough wormhole, O'Neill, Daniel, and Hammond in the briefing room).
    O'Neill: "And that, sir, is when I lost my temper."
    Hammond: "Meaning what, exactly?"
    Daniel: "Meaning Jack made a comment about Freyr's mother."

9. Captain Craig

5x18-The Warrior: Following the lead of Teal'C another Jaffa has started a resistance against the Gou'ald. Upon hearing of this faction SG-1 and Master Bra'tac set off to introduce themselves. The leader, K'yanto(sp) is very charismatic and soon has Teal'C and Bra'tac ready to follow his lead to the point that O'Neill has to remind Teal'C he's also SG-1. As Teal'Cs language had begun to sound as if he were joining up with K'yanto. The real secret here is that K'yanto isn't a Jaffa at all but a Gou'ald posing as one in order to wipe out the Jaffa resistence. Pretty good episode and it shows Teal'C perhaps has emotions still very much on his sleeve to be pulled in so easily to K'yanto's ruse.

5x19-Menace: SG-1 gates to a dead world where one life form is found in a state of stasis. She is an artificial construct and once awakened back at SGC she reveals her name is Reese. There is some debate if she is all android or one whose had their consciousness downloaded into a robot, as
    once happened to them. The twist in the episode is that her creator made her so well, with such a grasp of nanotech that Reese herself if actually the progenitor of the Replicators!! The Replicators broke free of her control, wiped out her planet and left her alone but moved out into the universe. She creates an army of Replicators and is going to try and leave through the Stargate but her new generation of Replicators are also starting to break free of her control. A clear shot is made, she is "killed" and the Replicators fall silent. I like this for no other reason than they gave us an interesting Ground Zero for the Replicators. Created by a being who was alone and only wanted friends but created monsters in actuality.

5x20-The Sentinel: This episode revisits Maybourne's defunct team of rouges who were stealing alien tech while masquerading as SG away teams. A peaceful planet that solely relied on a mechanical construct, called the Sentinel, to protect it is unaware it no longer works till a Gou'ald mothership shows up and the Sentinel isn't working. Two of Maybourne's team is still in prison and are the ones who actually dismantled the key hardware/software of the Sentinel. They are pressed into service to repair the damage. While the episode as a whole was mediocre I like the theme. What happens when you depend on technology so much that you can no longer do anything for yourself, such as defend yourself. What did we do before Google, for example? Over dependency on any one thing isn't good.

5x21-Meridian: SG-1 finds a planet willing to share technology freely, thus fulfilling their primary objective. However, there are some tensions and during an experiment Daniel is exposed to lethal doses of radiation. Daniel is then framed as having been a saboteur and the SG-1 team seeks to clear his name. Daniel had actually warned their new friends about proceeding and after the accident saved several scientists by "pulling a Spock" and exposing himself to radiation in order to help others. Daniel is in such bad shape that Jack Carter of the Tok'ra is brought in and he reveals Daniel is too far gone. Daniel in a vision to Jack says to stop trying and let him ascend. Daniel dies at the end of the episode. I'm guessing he's as dead as Teal'C was that one time though.

5x22-Revelations: This is episode is one part epilogue to the passing of Daniel Jackson and revelations about the Asgardians. It also brings about the return of Osiris who is searching for a secret Asgardians lab for secrets to steal. Little does she know the secrets the lab is keeping pertain to bringing fresh DNA into the Ancients gene pool. I love that the overseer of the lab is Heimdall. Seems they lost the ability to reproduce some time ago and each Asgardian you see is actually a clone. The well preserved body of an Asgardian from before the genetic breakdown has been discovered. Thor has been captured by Osiris and is being interrogated by implanting a device in his brain. Anubis has also arrived and insists they will find what they seek and they are indeed getting close. All hell is breaking lose, the lab is breached, a somewhat typical escape is made and Freyr shows up with reinforcements and Anubis flees. One of the last "revelations" here is that the tech used to implant on Thor is like no technology even the Asgardians have seen. So, just who has Anubis met? I'm guessing ultimately Anubis is just a pawn of some greater foe I'm likely to meet in S6. The episode concludes with SG-1 all talking about getting some dinner and coming to terms with their loss of Daniel. As they are awaiting the elevator a gentle breeze washes over them....Daniel.

So this episode isn't a typical cliffhanger. I'm guessing cause it's the Showtime finale? At any point there are cliff hanging elements. Whose this new technology foe? Can the Asgardians supercharge their DNA, maybe breed again? And of course the resurrection of Daniel Jackson. I kinda expected it in Revelations honestly but I guess it's part of the plan to get you over to the Sci-Fi channel. I'm assuming they knew before season 5 ended they were going there right? Or was this a possible series finale?

HALFWAY POINT

Going to take a quick break to watch the 12 episode S7 of Dexter I've just acquired.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Where you keep saying "Ancients", don't you mean Asgard (The Grey skinny naked guys (IE: Thor, Freyr, Heimdall).

BTW, did you notice in the credits Heimdall is voiced by Doctor Frazier (Teryl Rothery)

11. The Wormhole

Although this entire batch is enjoyable, The Warrior is one of my favourites. It's just so cool.

12. Captain Craig

Dang it I do me Asgardians, mental slip there. I'll go back and edit the post for clarity. Thanks.
    I should've proof read it but even then I was kinda rushing to get my thoughts out during my lunch hour. Sorry for the confusion.

I did catch that voice work in the credits, nice touch. The doctor voicing the doctor/scientist.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually they're simply called the Asgard (singular and plural) even though Asgardians would have been more correct.

Wrong show! ;) But it would have been cool.

14. Captain Craig

Season 6

6x1-Redemption pt.1: So this issue starts by me realizing that Daniel is dead and that was the plan? Not a gimmick, Shanks wanted out as it seems Jonas Quinn is meant to be his replacement. Quinn has been holed up the past 3 months since Daniel's death and his own exile studying up on all of Jackson's work making him a defacto expert on nearly all that Daniel was.
    Meanwhile Master Bra'tec arrives with tragic news for Teal'C regarding his wife, she's dying. Teal'C and Bra'tec depart. Not long after they do Aphophis begins an attack on the SGC with a new weapon meant to supercharge the Naqua'dah and blow up the Gate. The fallout would poison the Earth and be catastrophic.
    Also, the Air Force has built an all new prototype based on Gou'ad glider designs. In tow as well are the Russians with General Chekov showing up to voice displeasure on how the mutual agreement about SGC activities hasn't been going as he sees it.
    Teal'C's son blames him for what has happened to his mother and seeks combat with his father. This is interrupted by Bra'tec, they've also gotten a visitor Jaffa that has found out about the Apophis attack on Earth and come to tell Bra'tac. Just so happens Teal'c is there.
    Apophis shows up in a holographic projection all cloaked and pronounces the DOOM that is coming. I wonder why he was cloaked? Could they not get the actor?

6x2-Redemption pt.2: With Earth in deep threat mode Sam's ole intellectual combatant in Dr.McKay as come into the SGC to see if he can help. I don't know why, his first choice always seems to be one of least risk, not best chance. Teal'C, Bra'tec and Ry'ac along with some others attempt to find Apophis' base of operations and stop it. Teal'C does not want Ry'ac to go but is persuaded to allow him.
    Back at the SGC the energy build up of the Stargate continues. It's deemed an EMP pulse back through the gate might work, doing so only speeds up the rate at which the energy coming in will build. They have to open the iris for this and the iris is what's been slowing the build up. This is Dr.McKay's idea and it of course fails, but in doing so knocks Sam out when an overload occurs.
    It's then decided that in the new Air Force designed Glider they will fly the Gate out of Earth's atmosphere with O'Neill piloting.
    Thing so badly for Teal'C and Bra'tec as they are captured. However, Ry'ac was left behind due to being injured in the initial surge. He's not critical and his symbiote will heal him.
    A risky move has O'Neill open up a brief wormhole to eject the Gate into in order to save the Earth. If he hadn't it would've exploded as while Teal'C, Bra'tec and Ry'ac did manage to blow up Apophis' device it wouldn't have been in time.
    We essentially buy the 2nd Stargate off the Russians while also giving the plans to future Earth adapted Glider jets. They also want to place a Russian member or team into the SGC program, specifically SG-1. O'Neill objects telling Hammond he has his new man....Jonas Quinn.

Ok so lets see where this goes. I can tell that Quinn is the new defacto Daniel but it'll be weird seeing him get the same questions they would've asked Daniel. Daniel spent his life becoming an expert on what he knew. I just don't buy how in 3 months of isolated study Quinn is now a defacto expert but I'm going with it. No judgement yet on his character. Although I do know at some point Shanks comes back. I've seen the box art on other DVD sets. I'm not going to look into it, cause I may spoil something. I'll just ride it out with Quinn till then.

A good season opener though I thought. Also Dexter Season 7 was awesome!

15. The Wormhole

Simply put, that's not Apophis, it's Anubis, who was introduced in the season 5 premiere. The deal with the cloak will be explained later on in the season.

Jonas being an expert on all of Daniel's notes being unrelaistic is frequently lampshaded throughout the season, so I don't mind it too much.

Shanks indeed wanted to leave the show to try and get a movie career going and had even auditioned for Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis.

Redemption two parter is pretty good, at times almost movie-like. The stuff with Teal'c mourning his wife and reuniting with his son is some of the best character stuff done in the series.

Actor spotting: the Jaffa who interrogated Teal'c after he's captured is Aaron Douglas, Chief Tyrol on BSG.

16. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Jonas has a different physiology to most humans. He can absorb information much faster. This was mentioned in the first episode we saw him in.

17. Captain Craig

Right, it's still kinda the McGuffin in his set up. Especially now that I know Jackson is gone. I was fully thinking Daniel would turn up at the start.

I'm going to roll with it, not dissing, just commenting on the very obvious nature of it all.

18. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Did you mean the Asgard when you refer to the Ancients or where you referring to the actual Ancients who built the gate system? I only ask because you seem to have been referring to the Asgards as the Ancients for the past couple pages and its usually obvious that you mean the Asgard but here its more ambiguous.

Also this guys race has already appeared in a previous episode care to guess which one? :p

19. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Martin didnt get amnesia form the crash. He felt guilty about deserting his people and wanted to go back. The others were scared of the consequences if he did succeed in going home so started administering regular doses of amnesia pills. They had to maintain their distance in case their familiar faces triggered his proper memories to return :)

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Remember, at this point in the series the link between the Ascended and the Ancients had not yet been explicitly made.