Hunger Games Finale ‘Mockingjay’ will be two movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/hun...lease-dates-set-lionsgate-november-2014-2015/

LG has officially split final book into two movies like the Twilight and Potter finales. We will be getting a new HG movie every year starting next year until the end of the series.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Is it a book that can "naturally" be split into two parts like the Potter one or one that has to be forced and padded like Twilight?

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It depends on who you ask.

The third book was actually one page shorter than the second book (290 pages), but the author really skipped out on details. Important events barely get mentioned or they are over in a single paragrpah. The third book felt super rushed.

It really doesn't need to be split into two movies, but if they actually put stuff that wasn't in the books to improve the story then that would be great.

Obviously Lionsgate is doing this for the money.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, it felt really rushed and I don't know if that would work well on screen without Katniss' inner monolouge. Probably a good idea, creatively and obviously financially.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Big non-surprise. After Harry Potter and Twilight all the series are going to start splitting their adaptations into two.

Waiting patiently for the announcement that The Hobbit part 2 will be split into two movies as well.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

What a shock. :lol:

7. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, they could add a lot of things that Katniss wasn't present to and didn't witness - like they did in the first movie with the Capitol stuff. I loved Mockingjay and it's probably my favorite out of the 3 books, but there are a lot of things in it that can be expanded without the 1st person narrative constraints. I assume that Collins is going to be working with them on the scripts?

I just wonder what the cutoff between the movies will be. The ending of Catching Fire is a huge cliffhanger in addition to
    being a really powerful shocking downer ending for the book.
    They will be looking for a big cliffhanger/powerful ending for movie 3, too. What could it be?

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My guess?

Mockingjay part one will end with an angry Peeta choking Katniss or it will end with Katniss getting shot.

I just hope we actually get to SEE the team rescuing Peeta in MJ part one in a great action scene. That would make a nice addition. I hate how so many battle scenes in the last book were glossed over.

Since the author worked on the first movie's screenplay, I'm expecting her to be back for all the sequels.

9. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Mockingjay didn't feel rushed to me, as such. It's just that Katniss' role in the rebellion kept her from being where she and the reader wanted her to be. As the books are written in first person, a lot of events by necessity had to be skipped.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Big shock. So what's the bet that when the 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy are made into films, the last book is split in half? Simply for the extra $$$ value to be had

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    The Hobbit 2: There...
    The Hobbit 3: ...and Back Again

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Woody Harrelson said he signed on for 4 movies, so this news just makes it official.

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

So is Hunger Games the first four part trilogy in history? :lol:

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All I know is that the title for this thing will be clunky as hell.

"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1"

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My SiL was telling me about that book today... Most fucked up thing I've heard about. :lol:

16. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

No, Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy has already reached part six! :)

17. DevilEyes

Variety reports that Danny Strong has been chosen to be the screenwriter for the last two movies of the The Hunger Games trilogy, based on the 3rd book, Mockingjay. It's still not confirmed by the studio, however, so I wouldn't be quick to congratulate him yet. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060123

For those who are wondering "who?", Danny Strong is an actor - best known as Jonathan from Buffy - turned screenwriter, who's just won an Emmy for the TV movie Game Change.

18. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

He was also nominated in 2008 for writing Recount.

19. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll agree that the third book felt rushed. Especially the ending. But I don't know if there is enough there to flesh out 2 movies. I didn't read the final Harry Potter book (yet) but there seemed to be enough plot there for two movies. And the last Twilight book really should have been two books. There was no way that was going to fit into one movie.

20. DevilEyes

So many people seem to think that part 1 should finish with Peeta choking Katniss - but that makes no sense to me. It's not a TV show where you end an episode with a cliffhanger! A movie has to stand on its own, and can't end with a scene that nobody in the audience understands. Also, you have to have a heroic, great moment from Katniss, stemming from what had been happening to her, to end the movie - or else it's just 2 hours of pain, trauma, heartbreak and depression with no positive outcome. You can't have a story about breaking Katniss without her doing something amazing in the end, and without some kind of epic event at the end, such as the start of the Rebellion is in Catching Fire.

I think part 1 should end with the attack on the Nut, Katniss giving her spontaneous speech to the wounded District 2 man (one of her greatest heroic moments as far as I'm concerned) and getting shot, and District 2 joining the rebellion. (How much they'll show of her condition, I don't know, but I'm sure they wouldn't leave people thinking she's dead, which would be both lame and damaging to the franchise, since some might end up thinking it's the end.)
    BTW, I can't wait to see what melody they'll use for the song "The Hanging Tree". There are many fan versions of the song, this one is my favorite. I've seen it a few days ago and I've been listening to it over and over.

http://youtu.be/54_LE1YuMRc