The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured she was still pissed that she had not gotten her gun back yet.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

But she has to actually take the pills. And when it comes down to it, she might not be able to. The CDC explosion was a nice passive way to kill herself.

She should tell Dale to make it up to her by shooting her in the head. :rommie:

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I can't imagine doing either myself, but, if I had to die, the idea of drifting off to sleep is much less unappealing sounding then getting blown up (yea, she probably wouldn't feel anything in that explosion, but, it sounds much more horrific than drifting off to sleep)

If she can't bring herself to take the pills, then she obviously doesn't want to die as bad as she claims, so she needs to buck up and get over it.

IMHO, of course :mallory:

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

for those who love the comic book there is a novel out which deals with the govener and his life leading into the zombie apocolypse. and it's on the nook.

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

This all wouldn't be a problem if it was the real Andrea. The one that after grieving Amy's death (and finding comfort in Dale's arms) becomes a badass sureshot and the most well-adapted of them all. :p

6. Temis the Vorta

Maybe they just want to increase the dramatic contrast between now and when they finally develop the character to that point.

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah she wasn't really badass until

The Battle at the Prison

8. Thestral

Possible I suppose, but I have my doubts. We'll see.

Never as much as Rick or Tyrese, let alone Michonne, but I'm pretty sure her skill with a gun was established fairly early on.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Yeah, she was the "go to" sniper for the group from pretty early on from what I remember.

10. Temis the Vorta

I wouldn't mind Andrea evolving to be more badass - the female characters so far are a bit lacking in that regards, annoyingly - but I definitely want to see a natural evolution. She can't just be a badass sniper right away. I want to see her get from Point A to Point B.

If it takes this entire season, that seems like the right pacing for a show with strong ratings that could go on for many seasons. Character development needs to be paced to match the likely duration of the story. I'm thinking we can get five or six strong seasons.

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. I'd only be worried about Carl or the other girl growing like Atlanta weeds in that time.

I'm sure that they'll build some natural breaks into the story to allow for the passage of time. Through eight episodes, we've passed through, what - a couple weeks since Rick woke up? And maybe three months since the apocalypse started?

My wife and I observed that this show has yet to actually introduce clearly BAD people. With the arguable exception of Merle (who's more just an asshole than an actual baddie), everyone we've met so far are not really evil or a villainous type. They're all just survivors, not power-mad, greedy, or subject to a variety of bad-guy stereotypes as most zombie movies have given us. I find this pretty refreshing - pretty much anyone who would be the typical early victims early on in a zombie apocalypse are already dead. There are no cheerleaders, no jocks, no corporate bigwigs, no soldiers. They're all neural chow.

All we have left are the ordinary people, and as Rick said early on, they're all just white or dark meat. I know that in the comics some villains are eventually introduced, but so far I'm loving that the only theing they're doing so far is trying to survive. Something like spending 3+ episodes stuck on a highway close to an infected town while ont he way to a place they hope WILL be their salvation would never be done in a zombie movie. It's great.

Mark

12. Temis the Vorta

Maybe Sophia will be lost for a while so they can substitute a new actress next season and we won't notice? As for Carl, the actor seems on the small side for a 12 year old, so maybe he's not going to grow up to be more than Michael J. Fox sized, and that could cover things adequately.

Yeah, I don't think we need any cornball villains on this show.

And that reminds me, did anyone see the History Channels' Zombies: A Living History? It made the same point - lone-wolf Rambo types won't be as likely to survive a zombie apocalypse than people who are good at forming social bonds and sharing resources - and also delved into zombie lore around the world, real world antecedents to zombie fears (actual history on the History Channel!!!), current events, groups like Zombie Squad that are actually doing some good spreading knowledge of disaster survival tactics, and offered some interesting tips on fighting zombies (leave the samurai sword at home, pick up a tire iron instead). And the ubiquitous Max Brooks got a lot of screen time.

No mention of crossbows as a great zombie fighting weapon, though. Well other than that, it was very well done.

13. Thestral

Well, if they stick with the comics...
    holy shit they're going to meet some evil people. The Governor being the big one, and he's incredibly vicious and yet charismatic enough to get a whole town to follow him as their savior. On a lesser but still evil note, if they introduce the prisoners there's one in particular that's fucking deranged. They probably won't show him though - decapitating little girls with a knife is probably too far for even cable. :barf2:

14. sojourner

^Do ever watch Law and Order? They would have no problem doing what you describe in the spoiler. It'll just take place off screen.

15. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Did I miss something? In last weeks episode the black guy mentioned the guy he left on the roof in the first episode, "cutting off his own hand to escape". I dont recall this guy reappearing on any episodes after he was chained to the roof. Did he show up with a missing hand? If so what happened to him?

16. Thestral

Well... except this took place on-screen. Well, okay... not the event itself, but the aftermatch in full gory detail as a full-page panel
    with the heads looking right at the reader
    . Perhaps not the most chilling moment, but definitely up there and one of the most unexpected.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Merle the racist psychopath drug-dealing ex-military ex-con biker appeared in the second episode Guts, and briefly in the third episode Tell it to the Frogs. He cut off his hand with a dull hacksaw to escape the roof (it couldn't cut through the handcuffs or the pipe). When the group, including Merle's brother Daryl, returned to the roof to rescue him, they found his severed hand, burned skin on a stove where he cauterized the stump, and dead zombies indicating that he got away. They later found out that he (presumably) stole the truck they came to Atlanta in, but he did not return to the camp to seek revenge as they expected. He hasn't been seen since then.

However, if they tweak the characteristics of one very significant bad guy from the comic, Merle would be a perfect stand-in for him, especially in the way he seeks revenge:

If they make Merle the villain called "The Governor," that character cut off Rick's right hand, which would be very much the eye for an eye type of vengeance Merle would be in favor of.

[​IMG]

Topless Robot's 15 Walking Dead Moments from the Comics We Can't Believe We'll See in the TV Show (Spoilers, obviously)

The Governor in the comic doesn't look like Merle, of course, but given the way they introduced Merle and had his hand cut off, it made me instantly think that's what they were setting up.

18. sojourner

Nothing says it will happen on screen in the show.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yes! This is a huge part of what makes this show great. No villains-- just the character interaction of diverse people under stress, but mostly trying to do the right thing. This is why all the "badass" talk (and some of the comics spoilers) worry me. I hope they don't go down that route; if the characters become dehumanized, the appeal will be lost for me.

I recorded it and watched the first half hour so far (kind of a busy week). Lots of interesting info so far. I hope they go into some depth with Voodoo Zombies, which have been neglected in literature and movies for a while.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the comics they settle in at a prison, and are there for almost a year. At the end of this season they can arrive at the prison and when the next season returns, they can be a year (or more) in the future, allowing for growth of Carl and Sophia.