more sci fi TV development news: Reznor and Raimi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trent Renznor making sci fi minseries for HBO.

Written by Daniel Knauf!
    Sam Raimi developing Smokers for Fox, written by Lost writer Brian K. Vaughan.

They both sound interesting, bring em on! :D

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both of these are interesting but the Rami/Vaughn project sounds fascinating.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

The Raimi project sounds interesting, but the "high-concept" part of the pitch spells doom if it winds up on a broadcast network.

A deep space version of District 9 shot in faux documentary style is just far too niche to work for a large audience.

4. Temis the Vorta

I hope it isn't 100% shot documentary style. That would get tiresome.

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

At least we have some original stuff coming. Fingers crossed.

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Smokers does sound neat(Ive been wondering when all the District 9 knock-offs would start pouring in.) :cool:
    So does YZ, but Ive been hearing about it for ages & it never seems to get anywhere. Also i wish news sites would stop using those outdated emo hair pics of Trent, he hasnt looked like that for about 10 years, yeeesh! :p

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aww.. I was hoping Smokers would be a Waterworld spinoff about those dudes on jetskis who were based on the Exxon Valdez or something.

Oh wait, no I wasn't.

The Trent Reznor thing sounds interesting. I'd check out the album... but... ya know... spoilers!

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

new writer on "Year Zero" near-future sci-fi miniseries

from the original source last September:
    now
    6/24/2011
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fight-club-writer-pen-trent-205500

Daniel Knauf may have written the bible for the series it's Jim Uhls who will write the series now. Interesting that BBC Worldwide Productions is co-producing with HBO for this near-future sci-fi miniseries.

Just the idea sort of reminds me of Max Headroom's near-future from that late 1980s TV series.

9. Temis the Vorta

Well Bush is old hat, but the story is still perfectly viable. Anti-government Orwellian fantasies are evergreen.

How about flipping the politics and drawing inspiration from the anti-establishment Tea Party? That at least would have the benefit of being unexpected. :rommie:

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And we get to look forward to the episode where they forget to take the lens cap off the camera.

That one's going to be awesome.

11. Admiral_Young

I've been hoping this was still in development. This is gonna be awesome.

12. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sounds really cool maybe it could be part of starz programming. love rami's movies evil dead and darkman are two of favorite's by him and the first spiderman movie as well. bring on the alien scum.

13. Admiral_Young

^ You commented on the original story instead of the update on Trent Reznor's Year Zero which is the more interesting project? I've not read any update on "Smokers".

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. "More interesting" is always going to be debatable.

I'm more intrigued by the Raimi/Vaughn project myself, just because I'm more familiar with their work. And . . . aliens!

(Not entirely sure who Trent Reznor is. I'm scifi/comics guy, not a music buff.)

15. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked Carnivale personally. So Knauf is gonna go make another thing for HBO and now it's sci-fi? Why not, I'll watch it.

But yes... aliens! Some kind of mock docudrama!

Sure why not. I grew to live with BSG's shakycam, and I like the idea of a 'documentary' about guys who go into space to kill aliens. It just sounds like a premise replete with black come...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPSc8jejKcA&feature=related[/yt]

16. Temis the Vorta

He started Nine Inch Nails. I'm not very knowledgable about popular music either. I know him largely for providing the soundtrack to "that" YouTube video about Kirk and Spock. :rommie:

Here's an updated article.

THR LiveFeed Article.

Sadly, Knauf won't be writing it after all.

Interview giving background on the album and concept:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xr8FXnur5Z4#at=18[/yt]

17. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You must have at least be familiar with "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails, later covered by Johnny Cash. Here are a few more examples of NiN's music... real feel good stuff. :rommie:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pev0dINRaok[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFwQP86BRs[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-Sahfy7Hg[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwc-amI7AmE[/yt]

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

^ Oh, I'm willing to concede that he's no doubt a big deal in music and very talented. I was just pointing out that, on a sf/fantasy board, it's not too surprising if people are more familiar with Sam Raimi or Brian Vaughn.

I'm don't claim to be hip where music is concerned. Heck, I'm listening to a XENA soundtrack right now! :)