Superman 2 Donner Cut: Something I Just Noticed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by GeorgeKirk, Jun 2, 2010.

1. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

Okay, so the Donner Cut of Superman 2 uses the "flying around the Earth to reverse time" gag at the end to undo basically every event in the movie, and it's made clear that no one but Superman remembers what happens. (And we thought Star Trek invented the Reset Button!)

And after he does this, he goes back to the diner in northern Canada and gets revenge on that trucker who beat him up. Only because of the "time reversing" stunt he just pulled, the sequence of events that initially caused him to run afoul of the trucker never happened, so Superman is basically just beating up a guy for no reason!

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I thought that was a bit strange too. But I thought maybe the fact that the guy is still an asshole was enough of a reason to kick the shit out of him.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

While the Donner cut presents some interesting differences from the theatrical version, I suspect the perfect version of the film lies somewhere between the two.

4. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Yes. It is wierd and funny-bad. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

5. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Yes, the end of Donner cut is a mess. This is because Donner never filmed an ending, and refused to use Richard Lester's.

As it stands, I think the Donner cut is vastly superior, but I think Donner should've used the Lester ending. I always miss the scene at the white house.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the ending of the Donner cut resets events such that this time, it's the Lester cut that happens. So both cuts are 'canon'. :D

7. DonIago

When Superman resets time he actually travels into an AU...the Lesterverse!

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Works for me.

9. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I didn't notice that, but I think it's fair to say that Supes has consistantly dis liked pure assholes and iwould that maybe he knew that some bullies just need a good ass kicking in order to be taught a lesson. While it is uncharacteristic of him, he did pay for the damages. My favorite momentis Lois shooting Clark, much better than the fire scene. I justlove the movie period.

10. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

This sounds about right.

11. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

:lol: that's what i was going to say!!

12. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I noticed it the first time, and frankly it nearly wrecked the film for me. It was a very sloppy bit of editing, and I honestly can't imagine this scene was placed there in the original plan, for the reasons you just stated.

Mind you, while I find it an interesting curiosity, I still find the Donner/Lester hybrid version of Superman II to be the far superior film, and not just because, logistically, the original release was the finished movie whereas the Donner cut is cobbled together. I mean, people complain about Lester adding the Metropolis street gags. But who added a toilet joke to the Fortress of Solitude that even Lester deleted?

I agree with the above statement that the "perfect version" lies somewhere between the two. Maybe someone will create such a version at a later date, using, for example, the more visually appealing (and more logical) Niagara Falls version of Lois' "suicide" attempt, while reinstating the Marlon Brando sequences, for example. And maybe tweaking the "FREEEEEEEEEEEE!" bit at the beginning which I thought was a bit silly.

Alex

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. It is another reason why I, personally, dislike the Donner cut. Superman going for what is basically revenge, on a guy is not what Superman would do. However, it adds to a humorous scene, so it can be taken at face value, since the trucker guy was clearly going to start shit again.

However, if you add the fact that the events with the trucker never took place, it just makes Superman out to be a total dick for no apparent reason.

The whole scene makes no sense in the Donner Cut.

But then again, Superman does have a legacy of being a dick, so maybe it does make sense. :p

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the "rewind time" ending works much better on the first film than the second. In the first, it's the whole crux of the story-- Superman needs to be in two places at once, but he can't. Ah, but he can, but only if he violates Kryptonian law. So he does, and chooses the American way over the Kryptonian one. It's the climax of his emotional journey and it's the only way out of the dilemma Lex has constructed.

In the second film, it's totally random. Superman's won-- why does he need to rewind time then? And if he is going to do it, why doesn't he just do it beforehand? Why does he need to beat Zod and company first?

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I thought exactly this when I first saw the Donner cut.

As others say, a perfect balance lies between the two. And which unrelated, is also my opinion on the Donnie Darko Directors Cut

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I agree the cut is a mess but what can you do about it?

From the poorly dubbed battle in "Metropolis"

"I'm not a coward Zod"

To using screen test footage

17. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I'm not sure I've ever sat down and watched it. What exactly are the differences between the Donner & Lester versions?

18. DonIago

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Still, we know that Donner's originally intended ending for Superman II was going to be Superman turning back time (while Superman: The Movie was going to end with something different). And we know that Donner shot the diner stuff. So where was the diner stuff originally going to go?

The Donner Cut also added "Slasher Fogelstein is a bedwetter.":rolleyes:

Plus, only the Lester Cut has the best fucking line in the whole film, "General, would you care to step outside?":techman:

That is also my thinking about the Theatrical & Director's Cuts of Daredevil.

20. DonIago

I suppose I'm setting myself up for a link here, but what are the significant changes to Daredevil? I saw the theatrical version, once, back when it came out.