MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not really seeing what his problems at first base are at the moment. Seems like he's played it just fine whenever asked. Not flashing crazy range, but not doing anything to hurt you. He doesn't HAVE to play 1B most of the time, so not really an issue, but when we go to NL parks, not like anyone's afraid to put him out there. Is he really that much worse than the 'superior' NL sluggers playing 1B? Or any of the other statues out playing LF (or 3B for ARod or Miggy) in the field? The narrative seems to be that Ortiz can't play the field (because he hasn't really had to), but seems whenever he does, he's fine. Went back and looked, he played more than I remembered in '03 and '04. Wasn't awful. Not gonna get a gold glove, but not why they're paying him the big bucks.

And for the argument about how he has time to go down and take swings or study film in between at bats and that's why he's so good? He played all 3 games in the WS at 1B and didn't seem to slow down his batting at all...

Plus, just don't want to see the pitcher bat, it looks like a Little Leaguer up at the plate, just pathetic. Kinda the opposite of how Ortiz looks at the plate, where he looks like he's taking pitches from LL'ers at the moment :)

And yeah, when he's 11 for 15 or whatever (again, that factors in a grand slam that was taken away over the wall by Beltran), he can do whatever he wants. Guy's on FIRE right now.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see the issue with him at first. He did a fine job, catch the balls when needed. In the later innings they replace him so they can pick people off of first. I never saw a moment when I went "Oh boy he really can't play first".

And he is the only reason why the Sox are ahead and haven't already lost. There was talk of him only playing 2 of the 3 games but the way he was hitting screw that. Now we can go back to Fenway, he can bring life to the end of the hitting order and either win at Fenway for the first time in 100 years or lose at Fenway for the first time since 1986. Should be fun to watch.

3. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

In 1986 they lost Game 7 at Shea. I was too young to follow the Mets then but have seen the replay ad nauseum.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The Red Sox have 2 chances to win it all in front of there home fans. There hitting lineup back to full strength! Got to love there chances!

5. bigdaddy

Really? My bad.

So the Sox will either win or lose at home for the first time in a long time.

The Sox have hitting? When did that happen?

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Keep the reverse jinx coming! I'd be more nervous if you suddenly got on board :)

And to answer your question, Ortiz has something like 27 hits in 15 at bats...

7. bigdaddy

As a Red Sox and a NFL Giants fan (Not that I care at all about football)I'm used to "The Pats will cream the Giants" and then they play the game and the Giants win. Or last year ESPN said the Sox would win 100 games before winning the World Series and we know how that ended.

If the Red Sox win I will party and jump up and down. But we play the games for a reason and many MANY times, like 1986, the Sox have blown both games 6 and 7 to lose the World Series.

Plus it's my birthday, so if they win before midnight I will be very happy.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Uh...

9. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Is Papi juicin?

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, obviously a joke. Just saying, that's about what it feels like. Actual numbers are something like 11/15, .733 AVG. He's a friggin' monster right now.

I'm sorry, but that's just lame. His numbers in a vacuum? Other-worldly. But last week, he was not so hot in the ALCS. Surely he didn't get magical steroids between series that kick in with instant gains, right? (on account of that not being possible). So either he was juicing the whole time and had a shitty ALCS but suddenly an awesome WS, or wasn't doing anything either time and just is on a hot streak. Since they don't magically kick in overnight, kinda retarded to just point at the last few days and say 'suspect'

Especially when your username hints you may be a fan of the poster boys for steroid cheating. By number of users AND significance of the users. Just saying...

I'm definitely ready for the 'steroid era' to be definitively closed, though. Let's go all out; mandatory monthly blood tests (not just urine), even in the off season. Every player. PEDs, HGH, run it. Big penalties for a positive result. Instead of bullshit innuendo every time someone gets 3 hits in a game, let's make the testing rigorous enough that we can just say the answer is no. Will also cut the crap where someone cheats in the offseason to get big, takes their 50 game ban, and then gets to play in the post-season while still having the muscle bulk they gained with the steroids. The thing with Peralta was by the book, but total bullshit. Did his ban, but should have included playoffs. Otherwise, you didn't really get punished. Time to get serious about it, and cut out all the bullshit rumors from both fanbases AND media.

If I was Ortiz, I'd be a real dick about these rumors (assuming he's not cheating, of course ;) ) When he goes to pick up his MVP trophy, pay for your own testing, and take out a nice ad in the paper to post the results with a Fuck You to the specific media members calling him out on it. Media works so that you have the platform to 'wonder' about people, and no accountability if you're wrong, no apology. Kinda crappy....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  11. bigdaddy

You pissed off a Red Sox fan Yanks, RUN AWAY! :lol:

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not pissed off, just a dumb accusation. And took the lazy way out by just dropping it as a drive-by.

13. Timby

Well, the thing is is that Ortiz is a confirmed PED user, at least in the past. Not saying it should have any bearing on his MVP candidacy, because as I've said steroids do not magically turn you into a good hitter -- but this could be the second time a known steroid user picks up World Series MVP honors.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

He tested positive for 'something' in 2003. Not sure what bearing that test has on a performance in 2013. Presumably he's been tested since. Maybe even a few times?

And if he's juicing, and that's why he's having a good series, why was he ice cold in the ALCS last week?

Either way, this is why I want regular mandatory tests for everyone, even in offseason. No more lazy accusations, no cheaters being rewarded. Clean or banned

15. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

:guffaw:

Not mine, I was listening to Colin Cowherd today on ESPN. He brought it up.

Personally I don't think so, but in this day in age, the question always gets asked when someone is killin it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  16. Timby

I explicitly said it didn't. :lol:

17. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Congratulations to Andrelton Simmons on his first (of what I think will be many) gold gloves. I was hoping to see either Freddie Freeman or Adam LaRoche pick up the award for first baseman but it went to Paul Goldschmidt.

18. bigdaddy

Gut feeling...

See you tomorrow night.

This game seems like one where the Red Sox will be throwing the ball to third base, and that's always a losing game for them.

19. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Go Simba!

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit. :mad:

At least this WS hasn't been as dull as last year's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.