The Adventures of Ford Fairlane

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My brother and I both loved the hell out of this movie as kids (even though we were both too young to watch it, especially him) but it just had a cheese to it we liked. Saw it was on Netflix Streaming the other day so I gave it a watch.

Oi.

This movie is so corny and so 90s. How was Andrew Dice Clay ever "popular?" The only thing cool in this movie is the classic second-genearation Ford Fairlane with the retractable hardtop convertible. But so much corn in this movie.
    I loved it. :lol:

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't seen it since it first showed up on cable, whenever that was. It could have been funny. It tried to be funny. It just wasn't funny. And I'm not that hard to amuse. The best part of that movie was the car. You don't see many of those Skyliners running around.

For my money, Brainsmasher was better. But not much. :lol:

3. Trekker4747

I'm probably more amused by it out of nostalgia than the movie itself. It's just so much 90s corn and cheese and Andrew Dice Clay being all his Clay-iness. Heh. I remember as a kid being blown away by the idea of the CD being a computer disc! :lol:

But I've never been able to look at the Capital Records building in pictures or other movies without thinking of Ford Fairlane.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Never heard of it. Not even the images that came up in the google search were familiar

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098987/

Really bad movie, for really bad movie fans. :lol:

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved this film. I love the narration. When he describers having a conversation with Zsu Zsu Pedals is like massturbating with a cheese grater.

LOL

The best part of the film was the soundtrack. It had Idol's Cradle of Love, notable for the Fincher-directed video featuring a teenage girl much-too-attractive-for-her-age teenager girl, a pretty cool Yellow song, a pretty cool Motley Crue song, and a pretty cool, Queensryche song.

It was the Queensryche song that had my attention at the time. They released the ultra-serious Operaiton: Mindcrime to that point, and when someone oat soccer camp had the Ford Fairlane soundtrack, I was surprised that there was new Queensryche on it at all. The song was fun and light-hearded, miles away from Mindcrime, but I still loved it. Turns out they wrote the song for as-yet-unreleaed Empire.

Nonetheless, Queensryche was definitely an unusual choice for such an album. Head that album. Turns out that the concert where they film Vince Neil's death scene in the film was actually a Queensryche concert, and that's how they got involved.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Quantas, Juju bee, Sausalito, Ford Fairlane!

8. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:lol:

9. Trekker4747

I watched it again with my brother last night -as he loved the movie when he was a kid. My mom was in the room too and we got to the scene where Ford tells a joke in his story-telling and we had to pause it, rewind it and listen to it a couple of times because none of us "got" the joke. Called my dad into the room to listen to it and he didn't get it either. I had to sort of say it out loud a bit slowly myself and then it finally clicked and got it. So it took two people in their 60s and two people int heir 30s a few minutes to "get" this joke. I do have to give ADC "some" credit that the joke is clever if it takes a while to "get" like this because once you get it it's pretty damn clever.

Here's the joke if you don't remember it or haven't seen the movie so you don't know it. If you don't get it I recommend saying the "punchline" aloud a bit slowly enough and it should click.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I remember loving this movie but I don't think I've seen it since it came out. I actually have the 4-issue limited series too!

11. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: "My hair!"

12. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

It's pretty much the best movie of all time.

"Clint Eastwood? I fucked him. OOOOOOH!"