What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Bry_Sinclair, Aug 23, 2013.

?

On What Would You Like A New Trek Series Based?

1. A Starship

38 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. A Fleet

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. A Station

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. A Colony

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Other (please specify)

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. JariM

JariM Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed.
    My idea for a new series would involve a recommissioned Enterprise refitted with some of the latest tech but not enough energy output to run all the systems 100% simultaneously.

2. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I would like to see a followup to the 29th Century 'Time Cops' as scene on Voyager. Temporal adjusters fixing pivotal points in the timeline. They could do a 'Trials and Tribulations' type show every so often and revisit some existing Trek stories of appear anywhere from the far past to the future of what we are familiar with.
    Problem is that Trek over mines an area- TNG made the Alpha Quadrant a local neighborhood, DS-9 did it with the Gamma and Voyager with the Delta. Enterprise has to go into the Expanse to introduce new species and conflict and the next Trek will need to go further out to some unexplored region to come up with unique and fresh stories.
    We saw a glimpse of the role and life on the Relativity on Voyager and I thought about what other missions that ship would have- having all of past and future history to explore would be interesting.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I think timetravel is way over used in Trek to the point where it seriously seems easier to travel in time, than travel from point a to point b. A whole series based on it and an episode that doesn't make very much sense? Meh... especially given the innate corruptness of arresting someone for "crimes you are going to commit." Relativity wasn't even that good of an episode really... though I found it funny that the time cops hated Janeway... though somehow I don't think the writers were going for that.

While Trials and Tribbleations is a good, fun episode.... making something like that the norm would lose it's novelty really quick.

4. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

It's my personal opinion that the knew Trek series, whatever it's about, HAS to have an episode involving Tribbles.....

Also, I posted this on another thread, but it seemed appropriate here as well.....

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

What happens in STO stays in STO.

For the love of God...

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I guess it's too much to ask for a show about people exploring space? :(

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Another Starship.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems that way.

I don't know why a television franchise that promotes itself as a paragon of good and hope has to always be about wars.

9. BillJ

War Trek makes me sad and I long for the days of TOS and early-TNG. :(

10. R. Star

Forbid the new series does something originally cute. Why come up with something new when you can just redo things that have already been done. I bet that saves tons of money with creative writers... wait didn't Enterprise try that?

11. BillJ

What's the point of setting it in the Star Trek universe if you aren't going to use elements from the Star Trek universe?

12. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

It wouldn't be based on any events in STO other then the Klingons breaking away from the treaty.....

And I agree.

13. R. Star

Last I checked the universe is pretty big. You don't need different people(or different actors) doing the same things over, just slightly differently. Not if you're trying to tell a story that hasn't been done before. You say TOS is your favorite series, well it was them going after new things. Isn't that what you want from a future things instead of a rehash of the TOS days?

You can tie in to existing plot elements without blatantly ripping them off too. Doing a tribble episode just to do a tribble episode is fairly pointless as it's been done before. We don't need to be reminded that tribbles put rabbits to shame in breeding and don't like Klingons and coo soothingly. We know that already, another episode about it is redundant.

14. BillJ

Which is the problem with having yet another weekly Trek TV series. Whether intentional or not, you are going to be constantly doing things that the other TV series have covered in painful detail. Yes, you'll be able to create new bumpy headed aliens but it'll just be variations of themes we've already seen.

I remember reading that the whole idea behind Voyager was moving away from what we already knew yet they were using Klingons and Vulcans. Then they had intermittent contact with the known Trek universe throughout the series which defeated the purpose of it to begin with.

If you want Trek then want Trek. Don't claim to want something new because you simply aren't going to get it. The whole reason behind doing Trek yet again would be to draw on those seven-hundred plus hours of material.

Trek set in a law firm isn't Trek. Trek as a situation comedy isn't Trek. Trek as a political drama isn't Trek. Trek as a spy drama isn't Trek. Star Trek is an open enough format that yes it can do those types of stories from time to time but there will never be a series that is formatted as anyone of those things.

YMMV.

15. R. Star

Wow, I guess DS9 wasn't Trek then. :p Any more pearls of wisdom on the religion of Trek? I just want 45 minutes of entertainment myself.

16. BillJ

And you'll notice that Deep Space Nine had to add a badass starship and a character from TNG in order to try to keep the ratings from sliding (which didn't work).

'Religion' of Trek? I think you've got the wrong guy. I just ask myself this question: where can a new weekly Trek take me that the prior series haven't? Maybe I'm not very imaginative, but I'm not sure there is anyplace from a story perspective that Trek can take me that it hasn't already been and remain 'Star Trek'. Pretty much every series idea I see here does nothing but reinforce that perception.

So I have fun revisiting the various series from time-to-time, watch the new movies because they are welcome reunions with old friends and read an occasional novel. But I don't need to see new (regurgitated) episodes on TV every week to justify my love of the franchise.

Once again, your mileage may vary.

17. R. Star

See? That's where you lose me. You say you want a new series with a starship exploring space, argue against anything different saying if you change it it isn't real Trek, yet also say you want it to take you new places and don't need to see regurgitated episodes. Yet a new series remixing the adventures of the prior series is just that.

Frankly I think we've gotten all the mileage we're going to get from the Starship exploring space. It was getting old with Voyager and got even worse with Enterprise, which incidentally got canceled. Into Darkness didn't give us a single thing we hadn't seen in some form or other either. They just cherry picked a few plot elements from the franchise, changed them to suit, put them all in a blender, mixed it up and presto! A "new" movie.

I promise you the Trek universe is big. It doesn't exist just on starships. There are planets, starbases, and all kinds of other places to explore even if it's not "boldly going into the unknown." The Trek universe is a setting in the end not the story into itself.

18. BillJ

Actually, what I've said time and again is that I'd rather have something completely new than go to the Trek well again. But if we're going to get another Trek series, I want it to be recognizably "Star Trek". If I'm going to watch Star Trek I want it to be Star Trek. Not a cop show, a medical show, a spy show or a teen angst drama with a Star Trek coat of paint.

Then you really don't want another Star Trek series.

19. R. Star

So you define what Star Trek is alone and if I don't agree with you, I want the franchise to die? Oookay. Guess we've gone as far as we're going to with this discussion.

20. BillJ

Then it really wasn't a discussion to begin with if you simply wanted someone to agree with you. My opinions on what constitutes Star Trek are every bit as valid as yours.