HD experts, help an idiot!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Eddie Roth, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, I watch it that way, in part, because I'm too lazy to always change the settings whenver I switch medias, in part because it dosen't bother me and mostly because I don't want to unevenly wear the screen. But as for "short and fat" I've never really picked up on it even when flipping between the different formats.

2. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

Trekker, what type of TV do you own? If it's LCD you don't need to worry about "uneven wear".

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Rear Projection. The manual for it specifically said to avoid watching TV in 4:3 mode too much.

4. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you misunderstood the earlier post. When a movie is filmed it is shot on 35mm(4:3) and then the top and bottom can be cropped(assuming it wasn't an anamorphic lens). In that case there is material on the top and bottom that could be used depending on anything too problematic showing. For a TV show that is originally 4:3 there is no extra material. On occasion there might be some material that was cropped to zoom in a little, but on most scenes there is no extra material to use. To make the image wide screen you must crop off the top and bottom.

5. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Do we know for sure that the entire 4:3 frame was used? The reused ten-forward sequence from "These Are the Voyages" would seem to suggest that the videotape transfers were cropped from wider shots. That extra information off to either side of the replicator has to come from somewhere.

Now whether this applies to the show as a whole or in only a few particular shots is not certain. Can we get the TNG editing staff in here to comment? :lol:

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

So, as viewer sophistication grows to where everyone owns and watches widescreen TV, they will choose to ignore shows that don't match up with their equipment, or at least find that they just don't watch it as often.

I have several favourite LPs not available as CDs and, as much as I love them, they are simply too much trouble to play in LP format. Cleaning them with anti-static clothes, getting up halfway through to flip the disk, being careful with storage to avoid warping...

Just as people found themselves no longer playing mono records on their stereos, replacing beloved LPs with CD version, watching early b/w episodes of "Gilligan's Island" in syndication when the laters seasons were in colour, or buying colourized "Bewitched" boxed DVD sets in preference to the b/w sets right beside them.

If Paramount aims DVD product only at the purists, they'll go under.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what they're doing with TOS. And given that they're willing to put all that work into *that* series, it stands to reason they'll do it all over again for the others.

8. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's very little re-editing being done to the Original Series. With few exceptions it amounts to replacing special effects shots, mostly the views of the Enterprise in space or orbiting a planet. That's typically about one minute of work per episode in a half-dozen or so shots. The live-action footage isn't being re-framed or re-edited (apart from syndication cuts).

9. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I previously owned a 43" RP HD TV. It does say to avoid watching 4:3 mode more than 10% of the time.

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm wondering, Mods, since this topic (possibility of TNG in HD) comes up every other week, should it be a sticky at the top of the TNG forum? Otherwise, somebody ends up having to explain all the details about film, HD, and how TNG was created. Maybe we can post all these details in a sticky.

Doug

11. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Based on the story at Trekmovie.com...there's test footage out there of TNG-HD. Anyone know anything about it?

James

12. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone ever seen pics/scans of some original film reel from TNG?

13. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That wouldn't be a bad idea - to see the original film, in comparison to what we saw on screen. Then we can see if there's additional information that was cut, what the original size of the film was, etc.

James

14. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

It would be nice to see Star Trek in the letter box, or what we call today HD TV

15. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's retarded. I can understand it's a hardware limitation, but it's still stupid.

16. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I don't get this. I have a tube HDTV set. Nothing burns in like a tube set. I watch mostly 4:3 broadcasts in windowboxing, with the bars on the side. I've owned it for 6 years. There is no burn-in.

This is the biggest reason the bars are grey, not black. This avoids burn-in.

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

^
    Good article, only one new thing in it that we haven't talked about, but its an interesting one: they widened the TNG footage slightly to fit the frame as there seemingly wasn't enough to fill the whole 16x9 frame without cropping too much at the top.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There's an obvious difference in the quality, and if the FX match up to the clarity and detail of the ENT shots, then STNG will only look better.

RAMA