Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Maybe they're all destined to produce blue or green lightsaber blades.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the Clone Wars.

3. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The smaller crystals could be because, they're younglings and using smaller lightsabers, which don't require as much power.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

How small were they? The crystal in Luke's ROTJ saber turned out to be pretty small...

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

There's a movie about this cute little kid who does all sorts of crazy stuff, ends up saving the day, and gets featured in games and toy lines made for 8 year old boys. He also happens to turn into a psychopathic space Hitler a few decades later. Or were you not aware of this?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^There's no need to be snide. Of course I'm "aware" of all that. But this is a story about small children whose murders are due to happen within the very near future. The Clone Wars only lasted three years, and given how much Ahsoka's matured over the course of the series, we've gotta be at least two years into it in episodes like this one. That means we're not talking about something decades in the future, but about something that's going to happen very soon... to children. That makes it rather harder to overlook than the usual cognitive dissonance of watching Anakin Skywalker be a hero.

Although a lot of it is just a sense of pointlessness. The story was about these children achieving a major step forward toward their future maturity. But we know they have no future. So any sense of accomplishment feels hollow.

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

But how do you know for sure that these particular younglings were even at the Jedi temple when Order 66 was given? How do you even know that Anakin slaughtered every single one of the Jedi that was in the temple at the time? We saw maybe a dozen younglings hiding in the Jedi council chamber... Where were the rest of them? There had to be much more, and it's possible, if not probable, that some of them actually managed to escape in time. Who knows, maybe most of them were taken to safety long before Anakin reached them, and those poor kids at the council chamber were just the unlucky ones?

8. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quite small.

[​IMG]

9. Christopher

Isn't the official word that only Obi-Wan and Yoda survived the massacre of the Jedi? I think it's safe to assume these characters didn't survive any more than the adult Jedi.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Depends on stuff like the EU, which featured the occasional survivors of Order 66. The Conclave on Kessel tried (and failed) to kill Vader with an ambush, and Empatojayos Brand survived the purge with grievous wounds and was still alive after the Emperor's death at Endor.

I don't watch CW, so I have no clue if there's any official word in there to the effect that only Kenobi and Yoda survived. Going only by the movies, one could assume that since they're the only key Jedi shown afterwards, but a lot of the tie-in material suggests there were others.

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

There was an encrypted message from the Jedi Temple recalling all Jedi, telling them to return to Coruscant. Obi Wan turned it off, maybe even changed it to say to stay away from Coruscant, I'm not sure.

Also, in Episode IV Ben Kenobi said that "A young Jedi named Darth Vader helped the Empire HUNT DOWN and destroy the Jedi knights." So there was definitely some JEDI HUNTING taking place, not just the quick purge.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course it doesn't help that the EU will likely be voided by Episode VII in 2015.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good point, but I wouldn't call it pointless. To me, it's tragic since I know what's going to happen to the Jedi a little while on down the road in ROTS. It helps add to the tragedy of Anakin's assault on the Temple, where some of these younglings might have been. It helps me put other faces on that massacre.

As for survivors of Order 66, until the EU has been overturned completely on that regard, I'm going with more than Obi and Yoda survived. If I recall, the EU's Quinlan Vos was supposed to die in ROTS (his death is in the comic adaptation), but that was changed from on high, and he was given a reprieve. Maybe there was some idea about using him for a future Star Wars show or something. But it says to me that they were thinking that others survived. You also have the Force Unleashed games which have at least three/four Jedi (Marek's parents, Shaak-Ti, and Rahm Kota) surviving the purge. As far as I know, the new films will take place after ROTJ and not retcon those games out of existence. Granted, all of the EU is up to be completely ignored now, though I doubt that will happen either.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

There are also Jedi on the EU list who fell to the dark side as Anakin did, and became servants of the Empire. Some were full fledged Jedi who fought during the Clone Wars and others were only padawans or younglings when the purge occurred.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were two Jedi, K'Kruhk and T'ra Saa, who fought in The Clone Wars, and then survived all the way into the Legacy comics set 100+ years after return of the Jedi.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  17. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm inclined to agree, however we know that *some* of those Jedi, younglings or not, escape Vader's purge, don't we? I always interpreted the gap between III and IV to be a lot of time for Vader just hunting down remaining Jedi, because anyone in the imperial navy can command a blockade or invade a system... but only a Jedi is so well qualified to hunt down other Jedi as compared to, say, bounty hunters.

Anyway, yeah. It's grim.

You mean, not allow them to easily break through the ice like that last dude did? I'm sure this was a huge part of the lesson... they were never in any danger of actually being trapped in the cave for 19 days or however long it was.

This is excellent. I'm always interested in these stories... too bad they won't fit into the scope of the Clone Wars series... (or will they?) ;)

18. Christopher

Right. Yoda admitted that he lied about that. They weren't in danger of being trapped by the ice wall. No, they were simply in danger of falling off cliffs or getting buried in avalanches or drowning in freezing water. Muuuuuch better all around. :rolleyes:

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I'm with you on the child endangerment thing, but then again, these aren't ordinary kids. They've been training in the ways of the Force for years already.

20. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[​IMG]

"Fucking Apple Maps! Ever since Tim Cook took over, everything has turned to SHIT!"