Microsoft to restore the Start Button in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, May 30, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes! I love Windows 7, and Windows XP is just damn near rock solid.

I know most offices I visited when I was still doing the business side computer repair, were almost always Windows XP, save for the one office where they were still using Windows NT 4.0 (hey, if it works, it works!).

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does that mean the next version, Windows Into Darkness, will be worth using?

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Only if you're okay with the design of the rebooted Start Button, which is gonna be like twice the size of the Prime Start Button.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And there won't be a BSOD, just one giant lensflare.

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

And when it crashes... it'll take out an entire city.

6. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say confused but there's certainly lots of things I don't understand about it/could do easier in XP

Probably settings that will fix them

1)doesn't let me move/delete files because they are being accessed, when that action is the only thing accessing them

2)lets me open several copies of the same program at once.

I have touchscreen, but really only use it to turn it off!

7. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

[looks lovingly at the 486 DX33 in the corner with MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1]

... so, no change there then. :ouch:

8. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

So, wait, will this just bring up the start screen? Like you can already do by pushing the pointer into the lower-left corner, or hitting the windows key?

9. Amaris

Yes.

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm getting a new desktop PC put together and the guy in the shop recommended Win7 over Win8 without hesitation. He winced when he said "Windows 8"...

11. Amaris

That's because "Windows 8," and "desktop PC" go together about as well as oil and water. I tried to like Windows 8, and for tablets, it's a fine and fitting OS, but for laptops and desktops, it's about as fitting as a screen door on the Red October.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got used to not having the start menu. You can literally type what you want and it finds it.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I just installed start8 and set it to boot directly to desktop and have had no problems since.

14. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

My nephew's laptop came with Win8. I didn't use it much, but I can't say I liked what I saw.

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm generally an Apple User, but I will say: I like Windows 7. I hate Windows 8.

Live tiles are stupid. Nobody likes them. They seem cool for a few seconds when you watch the commercial but they're not. They're stupid and confusing and as useless as snapping a keyboard onto your Surface while dancing on a table, and they obfuscate the useful elements of Windows. Figuring out how to make a Surface do what I want is the science of randomly touching things and swiping in random directions until something useful happens. Then they have this classic desktop looking thing as a completely separate interface from 'Live tiles' that feels like working in a VM.

With Windows 8 and XBox One Microsoft's attitude is 'You'll buy this and you'll like it screw usability, have a complaint RELEASE THE HOUNDS'. Microsoft's new policy of 'Open contempt for our consumer base' isn't going to get them anywhere and having a start menu isn't going to fix the complete uselessness of the interface they're pretending everybody likes.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

With the Start button restored, finally "Windows 7 Service Pack 2" is getting a proper release.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I use Windows 7 Ultimate and have no issues with it. I don't have any plans on updating to Windows 8 (and if you ask me it doesn't offer anything that I don't already get from 7 Ultimate for my own personal computing wants and needs....there's just no point in bothering with it) but thanks for the update and story.

18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Windows 8 was one of the reasons I went to Mac. My brother has it on his laptop, I can barely stand using it. Windows 7 was great, I had no complaints.

19. Amaris

Or I can just click the Start button and click the program. It's a symptom of Windows 8 to make everything that took a simple one or two clicks, now takes several more, a swipe, and/or some typing.

I've set up three computers now, with Windows 8, and it still hasn't grown on me. It just feels kludgy on a laptop and desktop.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    A dear friend who knows a thing or ten about computers told me point blank, and I paraphrase: "Don't bother with Windows 8. What you have is more than enough for your Web and gaming needs. 8 is just flash and marketing more than anything else. Don't waste your time and just forget about it."