Farscape reference in Demons of Air?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by setacourse, Jul 1, 2008.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Since I don't follow Robotech even a little bit -- er, no. I just came up with the name on my own....

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Hambly actually skirts around telling the whole story in VoI, apart from revealing its roots as a fan story she'd written as a teenager, and pulled from the drawer when David Hartwell did a ring-around of friends to canvas submissions.

So it must be her "Starlog" interview where she revealed the whole saga. It was in a time of editorial flux at Pocket - her manuscript sat around for over two years - and the connections to "Here Come the Brides" got missed in the shuffle. Even if Hartwell knew about HCtB being featured in "Ishmael", not all of his successors realised.

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Just finished Day of the Vipers. Loved the Star Wars reference where one of the characters quotes Han Solo.

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just spotted "tralk" used as a Cardassian insult in The Mirror-Scaled Serpent, along with other funny references like B'Elanna descending to the seventh of nine floors, and Tuvok (the Vulcan played by Tim Russ) being a former slave of T'Kar (the Klingon played by Tim Russ).

Speaking of that story, the old woman who led the uprising on Cestus III is clearly Nan Bacco. In fact, there's really no reason for Cestus III to have been B'Elanna's former stronghold except for the chance to allow a gratuitous Bacco reference. I have no problem with that, by the way, since Bacco rules (literally, in fact).

But I cannot for the life of me figure out who the second Terran who tries to attack B'Elanna is, other than Tom Paris, while B'Elanna is interrogating Seska. He's described as being dark-haired and -skinned, with a beard and a mole on his cheek. I cannot think of any bit-part-player in VOY who matches that description. Is it supposed to be anyone, or just a random Terran? The unusually detailed description suggests the former.

Considering the Tuvok-T'Kar connection, I wondered if it was supposed to be the human that Tim Russ played in TNG "Starship Mine," just to complete the pattern.

5. KRAD

^ No, that human wasn't anyone in particular. I just put it in there to mess with people. :evil:

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you had fun with that one didn't you. You certainly fooled me by pointing towards known developments only to turn them on their head.

At first, we learn there's a traitor in Chakotay's cell, and I think "Ah, Seska". But no. Then, Janeway calls from engineering, says Annika has started talking and acting strangely, and I think "Oh boy, Obsidian Agent Seven of Nine again". Wrong-o. Finally, Tuvok tells Neelix that Kes has turned into some kind of energy being and transcended, which I readily accept because we'd seen it on the series. Egg all over my face. You know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me; so fool me thrice and... I don't know, I hang my head in shame? Or plot revenge. Yes, I prefer that last one.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. KRAD

double post deleted

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  8. KRAD

^ Glad to know all the misdirection worked. :D