D.J. Caruso signed to direct Preacher

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

With Sam Mendes no longer attached to the project, Columbia has been looking to sign a new director for the adaptation of DC/Vertigo's Preacher. It's been rumored that D.J. Caruso was up for the job and now he's confirmed that he's been officially signed. Caruso has previously directed The Salton Sea, Taking Lives, Two for the Money, Disturbia, Eagle Eye, and I Am Number Four. The script is by John August.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'd have preferred to see Mendes do it but he's tied up with Bond 23.

Still, there have been so many false starts with this project, that Caruso may never make it either. Rachel Talalay, Mark Stephen Johnson (was to do it for HBO, IIRC) and then Mendes. Now Caruso.

I'd like to see this get made but I won't be holding my breath.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep "Preacher" has been in development hell for so long that I'll be surprised if it ever actually surfaces. DJ Caruso isn't someone who excites me either, John August either for that matter. Wasn't Robert Rodriguez at one time attached to direct? I would have liked to have seen Mendes tackle this as well.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see production stills.

5. Captaindemotion

6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I have to say is Shia LaBeouf better stay the fuck away from this :mad:

7. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

People are ranting about Pine as Jesse Custer and LaBeouf as Arseface, and those are terrible choices and all, but the worst is Alex Pettyfer as the Saint of Killers.

How the hell do you pick this guy for this role?

I'm fine with unconventional choices (I think the most inspired Saint of Killers suggestion I've heard is Samuel L. Jackson) but that one's just ridiculous.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chris Pine is a versatile actor. He might surprise folks.

Shia LeBoeuf, less so. Alex Pettyfer is just the pretty face du jour, and his movie bombed, no sense bothering with someone who'll be forgotten momentarily.

9. Captaindemotion

I like Pine but I don't see him for Jesse. Anyway, if he's doing Trek and Jack Ryan, can he fit in another franchise?

Shia as Arseface - well, I'd be up for it if he goes the method route and takes a shotgun to his face.

But the Saint of All Killers choice is just beyond ridiculous. Chris Walken, Sam Jackson, Clint, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Sam Shepard maybe. But Alex Pettyfer? WTF?

Unless it's a mistake and Pettyfer is his choice for Cassidy? Still a shit choice, though.

10. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If this thing ever gets made, you KNOW it's only going to be PG-13 and turned into something completely unrecognizable anyway. I find it very hard to get excited about this in the current Hollywood mindset.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

WTF? The Saint has to be an ugly ass grisly old man like Clint Eastwood!

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about Clint Howard?