Project: Rooftop

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Project Rooftop.

I'm sure a lot of our users have already seen it, as it's been around for a couple of years. For those who haven't, the premise is pretty simple: Cartoonists and designers take an established super hero/villain and redesign their costume or concept.

Here are some recent examples:

Superman

Iron Man

Wonder Woman

The Rocketeer

It's one of those superhero sites I sort of take for granted, when it should be shared with lots of comic fans. Got any other links like that?

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like the one that won the Iron Man contest. That's pretty cool.

3. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

What a cool site. Thanks Spiff! I'm afraid the only similar site I found was a bit, um, racy. Very racy, in fact. Sorry. Looked around but this is kind of a unique site.

4. stueyross

stueyross Captain Captain

link please? or PM it to me :)

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I also like:

Fernando Lucas' concept for the Superman crystal suit. The comments that the execution looks like a chicken suit are on-target, but with a different execution, the idea could be very original. The Superman entries are too samey (and what's with the Keanu Reeves "Jesus" one? :D)

Daniel Krall's more "traditional" take on Wonder Woman - less extreme than the other ancient-Greek costumes, which start to veer away from the idea of her being a modern superhero character.

They shouldn't have bothered with Rocketeer. That is already a very well designed character and the entries really didn't diverge much from the original.

They should try someone like the Sub-Mariner or Ant-Man next. Or Daredevil, there's a guy in dire need of a makeover! :D

For a real challenge: tackle Batman.

6. Spaceman Spiff

I think the Rocketeer one was just a tribute to the creator, Dave Stevens, who recently passed away.

Same with Impulse and Mike Wieringo.

Two artists who left us too soon. :(

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting site, I like Ming Doyle's bizarre take on Wonder Woman. Comics are cool because they are so open to reinterpretation.

8. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool, my illustration teacher from college Joel Priddy's been working on this over the summer so I've been following it's progress. He's not really a tights and spandex sort of guy, but I liked his work on The Rocketeer and Wonder Woman.

9. Spaceman Spiff