arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there any way we can help?

2. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Nah. I know where I went wrong. Plus I've spend a few hours tonight revising some notes on another subject. Shall do more over the weekend.

3. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Believe me Elim it's better to fail and force yourself to work hard and master the subject and resit the exam, than it is to score an easy 99.9% and come away none the wiser (none the smarter?)

My rant isn't a rant so much as a pet peeve. I hate it when people misuse their facebook names to advertise their beliefs or products or companies or other things that are not their names.

John GoMagpies Citizen
    Jane MelbourneMcDonalds Doe

and so forth.

It's especially annoying when they use the names of sports starts they admire, because their names are names, and it's hard to tell what's what.

Danielle Didak Person, or Jim Taz Parsons

Somehow or other I have allowed these people onto my friends list, and they sit there gathering mildew and forcing me to post-process their screen names, which is a really great way to annoy me. I could clean them out, but I'm really sentimental about my friends list. Besides their crime isn't worth a facebook death sentence. It's just annoying.

4. Captain_Nick

Rereading that, I sure am lucky if that's the best rant I can come up with.

5. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

^Isn't it a violation of the Terms of Service not to use your real name on FB?

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Only if they catch you. ;)

7. mari

mari Captain Captain

Related FB arrrgh... couples who have an account together. John Sue Doe. Seriously? You aren't separate people? Ew.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I hate that, too. I also hate it when they have separate accounts but use them almost solely to spam each other (and then spam other people's statuses with their cutesy back-and-forth talk.)

9. rhubarbodendron

And why don't they talk like this to each other IRL instead of wasting their time (and our nerves) doing it online?

10. Captain_Nick

I've got something proper to bitch about now, and it's a doozy. My house was broken into last night. Probably as I was typing the above, funnily enough.

They entered through the side gate (that I should have kept locked, bad Nick), broke a window, moved one of my garbage bins for no obvious reason, ignored all my computers and electronic gear thank god, rifled through my wardrobe without taking anything, and then went through my jewelry bag. And, just to add insult to injury, they ignored my collection of cufflinks, chains and my fob watch and took the bag itself. At least they had the courtesy to close the window that they entered through on the way out.

The neighbours told me that they heard noises around 12:30 last night, which is when I got home, more or less. I could be the reason they made off with next to nothing, which far from being comforting, is creeping me the hell out.

I hope the cops catch these people before I do. I am going to burn them alive.

11. rhubarbodendron

they must have left rather a lot of fingerprints on the window and trash bin and quite a lot of skin particles when they went over your clothes. A good labtech should have enough material for analysis (unless they wore plastic overalls, gloves and hairnets).
    You might consider investing in a loud alarm siren, though. There are rather cheap systems that are connected with a contact at the window frame. When the window gets opened without switching the alarm off first, a circuit gets closed and the alarm goes off. Hardly any burglar has the nerve to continue his work with such a noise going on.
    If you have enough time and money for it, a large dog would be an equally effective solution.

12. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

^ or a recording of a BIIG dog barking hooked to the window or door...:lol:

13. Captain_Nick

According to the internet, it's easy to spot fake dog barks.

But no matter, I've already started searching for both alarms and dogs.

I know people say it all the time, but this really is not the sort of thing you ever expect to happen to you.

14. rhubarbodendron

if you seriousely consider getting a dog, please do keep in mind that it is a living being and as big a responsibility as a child. It's not a device you buy, install and then take for granted. It is a living, feeling person who's life quite literally depends on you. Someone who requires daily social contact, several hours of open air activities (and just letting it out in the garden is not enough), good quality food (no human food leftovers!), medical care etc. And when it's old you have to deal with illnesses and high vet bills and have to make the dog's life as pleasant as possible and not get it killed because it's no longer useful for you.

Also, you can not lock up a dog in the house for more than 5 hours at maximum before it needs a potty break (the results of which you have to collect and dispose of). That means: no fulltime job or no single household. If only one applies in your case, forget about the dog.

Think very carefully if you are really ready to accept this responsibility and are willing to live with the consequences.

15. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. During the winter my dog is in the house 8 hrs a day while we're at work. She has never had an accident (since she was a puppy, anyway) and sometimes doesn't even want to go outside right away when we get home.

Sounds like your dog has trained you.

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

My dog does fine with me working full time. I even have to run errands after work sometimes, and she's okay. Always happy to go out, and always happy to see me, but she's just fine.

17. rhubarbodendron

There is no need to insult me in my own thread. If you are unable to disagree politely, please just stay away.

18. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

Not intended as an insult. I know a few people who held/hold the same view. In virtually all cases they were wrong. Their dogs convinced them that certain behaviours were inherent to their nature, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Also, this isn't YOUR thread. This is a public forum, if you want an echo chamber start a private blog. If I decide to insult you, I promise, it's won't be subtle.

19. Captain_Nick

It's quite comforting to see this place hasn't changed in ten years. :)

You know I am surprised more people haven't chimed in with advice on securing property. That's what would be helpful - what is and is not an effective deterrent.

20. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Here is my rant of the day:

I'm sick of my own body trying to kill me. I've also decided to put off my birthday until the doctors find out what's wrong with me. I'm stuck wearing a stupid cardiac event monitor for the next two weeks to a month, and it's not fun or sexy, and won't look good with my birthday dress. So, birthday is off for now. At least I get to be 29 a bit longer this way.