Flying hours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Vanyel, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Today's pilots have to have so many flying hours per year (or month, not sure.)

Do the pilots of the Star Trek era have the same requirements. Would Picard, Riker and other members of the Senior Staff who pilot the ship or shuttles have the same requirements? Would Picard on occasion take the helm for the hell of it? I mean he could, he's the fracking Captain. Or would holodeck flight simulations count?

What do you guys think?

I think they should and do. Holodeck is fine by me, too.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

By the 24th century, a shuttlecraft is equivalent to a mini-van, they would receive a qualification when they were 16 years old and that would be it.

There would be some specialized Starfleet controls for weapons and such, but the basic controls would be just like the civilian models.

")

3. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

Actually, I think a periodic "re-certification" test would be entirely reasonable, for shuttles and possibly for other systems. There may be a number of approved options for how to go about this - holodeck training sims, field operations, "checkout flights" with a suitable observer, etc..

Law-enforcement officers are required to undergo periodic re-training and re-certification for firearms use. Also, yes, all the minivan drivers I ever heard of need to renew their licenses on occasion as well.

4. T'Girl

Re-new your license yes. But you don't have to re-qualify, you don't have to re-test.

")

5. Vanyel

Eye tests are done every so often.

There have been pushes to have elderly drivers retest every so often, but the AARP is pretty strong, and the Constitution seems to be on their side. I wouldn't mind if ALL drivers had to retest every 10 years or 3 renewals (In Texas that'd be every 12 years.) That'd get around the argument that the AARP puts forth. We are violating the rights of the elderly by making them retest at a certain age. They wouldn't be singled out if everyone had to do it.

Let's face it, everyone could use a refresher course or test and there does come a time when you have to take the keys away from your parents.

6. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In '100110000111' (or whatever it's called, the one where the Bynars nick the Enterprise), Picard takes the helm. As I recall, he says something like "It's been a while since I've done this." That suggests that he does not regularly fly the ship.

7. 7thsealord

Pilots do. Any aircraft is inherently far more dangerous than any minivan.

Think about it, The amount of mayhem a minivan can inflict is considerable but also comparitively limited. Plough full speed into a group of pedestrians or another crowded vehicle are about the worst case scenarios for them. Flying vehicles move a lot faster than any minivan, are frequently a lot bigger, carry a lot more volatile substances, and there is a much much greater range of bad things that can happen with or to them.

Plus, as has already been pointed out, drivers of ground vehicles are often required to undergo eye tests to retain their licenses, and may be restricted or even disqualified for a number of medical conditions.

8. Vanyel

In Booby Trap and Conundrum Picard took the helm with little difficulty. In Booby Trap, he did some expert flying.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

And those episodes were after "11001001". Presumably Picard was rusty from his 9 year break (y'know, between Stargazer and Enterprise), and he reacquainted himself with helm control after the Bynar incident.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know in some countries your driving license can last 52 or so years before you have to renew it.

11. Vanyel

Drivers here are bad enough, and most states make you renew your license ever 4 or 5 years.

Can you tell me what countries these are so I can avoid them.

12. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Mine's due to expire in October 2061!

13. 7thsealord

Undoubtedly, and I am pretty sure that those tend to be places where I want to stay the hell away from the roads.

Recall reading that, in Egypt, the driver license test comprises driving the vehicle thirty feet in a straight line. That's it. Might have changed since I read this, of course.

14. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I want to know is:

Do they sign off as organ-donors on their Starship drivers licenses?

15. JB2005

I can't think they'd need to, between bio-synthetic organs and cloned organs :)

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Leads examine a few stats

In the US unless I'm mistaken you have to renew your license periodically

Road deaths per 100 000 people = 12.3

UK where your license lasts until your 70th birthday

Road Deaths per 100 000 people = 3.59

Australia deaths per 100 000 people = 7.7

Or for the latest year figures are available

US = 33 808
    UK = 2 222
    AUS = 1 616

Population of US ~312m
    Population of UK ~ 63m
    Population of AUS ~22m

So it would appear in some countries not renewing your license does not impact on road fatalites serioulsy.

Of course other factors areat work and figures do change if you use a different stat.

17. T'Girl

Might be a sight misunderstanding. When you renew your license in the US, you're not getting a brand new license, it's the same license number, just with a new (current) photograph. In the US if you're ask for photo ID (identification), you show your drivers license.

You do have to get a completely new license if you relocate to a different state.

In the UK, don't your licenses come from the national government?

")

18. JB2005

Yeah, well the DVLA office in Swansea but it's a government run department!

19. Vanyel

So that could indicate some type of test or re-certification. Time in the holodeck or somewhere practicing his flying skills. He was able to guide that kid who stole a shuttle into making it skip off the atmosphere in Coming of Age, which took place shortly after 11001001 Stardate 41365.9. Coming of Age was Stardate 41416.2. So Picard must have spent a good deal of time doing flight simulations in the holodeck, or was pulling Rikers Leg in 11001001.

Come to think of it though, we rarely see Captains piloting a shuttle or starship. Sisko did it the most because of the Runabouts, but once Defiant docked at DS9, Jadzia then Nog took the helm.

20. 7thsealord

Similar to now. When riding in small boats, senior naval officers usually don't do the driving - they have subordinates to do that task for them whilst they deal with the weighty responsibilities of command.

Same story in other services. An Army Colonel might have been a crack shot when of lower rank, but toting a rifle is not part of a Colonel's job.

There may well be exceptions, but I suspect this is almost always the case.