New Graphic Novel - 30 Minutes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by PDSmith, Dec 28, 2011.

1. PDSmith

PDSmith Cadet Newbie

2. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those look awesome. I'm a sucker for pretty Star Trek artwork and comics. Looking forward to reading these.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem with both these comics is that it's nearly impossible to properly convey emotion when you use Poser or poser-type 3-d art, so what you have are two potentially good stories that suffer because the illustrations lack any emotional content. Plus, you have to at least present the illusion of activity, even in a static drawing. Poser is too stiff to properly cast that illusion.

4. PDSmith

PDSmith Cadet Newbie

If this is a critique I'm at a loss, so in my defense, if I had the computer capabilites of the movie Avatar with 20 million polygons per character vs the current V5/M4 at 1/2 a million polygons there will be limitations. I agree that the emotional content and posing is quite horrible for the USS O'Bannon Species 571, but then this book was done primarily as a tool to learn the DAZ Studio 3 Advanced system, Poser doesn't fit my style. In the beginning the hands were stiff, the backs lacked movement, the shadows were poor, but at the same time in the time span it took me to put it together (7 months) the end of books's art out strips the beginnning.

In 30 Minutes I see only a few instances of lack of emotion, in fact I went out of my way in every scene to be sure there were three factors I met each time. 1) Lighting/shadows, 2) Depth of Focus, and 3) Facial position and pose.

It's up the the user to make do with those inherent limitations and find a viable work around.

I would like to think I had and stepped up and pushed the envelope for what is considered a 3D Comic. Compare the comics of the 1940-1960's to what is coming out now. HUGE difference. Look back at what V1/M1 looked when first released to now, again HUGE difference.

I'm just giveing back to an industry that entertained me for decades, in my own unique way.

5. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually quite like 3D render work, even if it may not be as expressive as say hand-drawn work or high-tech CGI.

I really liked Species 571. The story was great and the characters more than passable. My only nitpick perhaps is that the writing suffered from a few spelling and grammatical errors in parts. Also, those skirts were not short enough :lol: .

Also liked 30 Minutes. You clearly have a thing for girl-on-girl action which I'm certainly not going to complain about. Hope you get a chance to do the second part as I really wanna know what happens next.

I couldn't quite get behind Cave of Duality. But to quote Meat Loaf: Two out of three ain't bad.

6. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice. The obvious amount of time and care you've lavished on the 'photoshoot' of the half-naked Orion slave girl in the first link is not in the slightest bit creepy or unsettling...

[​IMG]

7. ambessalion

ambessalion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Orion slave girls are sooo hot! There's something about that green colour...