For those who like Nemesis

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by RyuRoots, May 9, 2009.

1. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Upon perusing forums and topics about Star Trek, I've noticed that Nemesis almost universally panned as the worst Star Trek movie. The only ones I've missed so far are III and V, and TMP should far beat out Nemesis for that dubious honor if you ask me.

Is Nemesis my favorite movie? Not by a long shot. Undiscovered Country and First Contact are waaay better overall, but I still think it's a good, fun movie.

Does it have flaws? Of course it does. Some gaping plot holes, a good number of things about the character of Shinzon, but I feel that the bad is outweighed by the good.

So let's try something different. If you actually enjoyed the movie (or even parts of it), post and tell what you liked. What scenes you thought were well-directed or well-presented. What you liked visually, sound-wise, whatever. Tell us what you think Nemesis did right, or perhaps what you thought was just plain cool.

Personally, I've always been particularly fond of Picard's whole spiel during the wedding reception. "This is all a damned inconvenience!" :rommie:

2. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Good to see you catching on to the plot unoriginality of the new movie, in spite of Abrams' remarks about not seeing Nemesis at all.

The "action" plotline of Nemesis was simply not appropriate for the aged TNG crew. There's a reason why TUC worked with the aged original series cast. Nemesis should have focused more on the intriguing political aspects of Federation-Romulan relations after the Dominion war, like TUC did between the Feds and the Klingons. If Data's death were still warranted, it should have been connected to the political aspects and not to some rip-off action sequence. In fact, I remember past musings about the perfect death for Kirk being at Khitomer, saving the president's life.

Other than that, the music sucked even for the action theme of the movie.

3. RyuRoots

*facepalm*

I'm glad to see you read any of my opening post.

4. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

I did enjoy parts of it: the interaction between Data and LaForge, between Riker and Troi, and between Picard and Crusher.

5. RyuRoots

Then let's try to focus on those. That's why I made this thread. If you want to bash the movie, trust me, there's plenty of topics here and elsewhere dedicated TO railing on the movie.

6. ZERO_of_ZERO

ZERO_of_ZERO Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its been a while since I watched it.
    I don't usually comment on acting, directing of writing etc as I dont particularly analyse films etc in such a way.
    Basically:

I know what I like when I see it (and generally prefer to keep it that way).

I like Nemisis.

If nothing else .... whoops! there goes another Star ship;

[​IMG]

7. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fact that this was more or less the opposite of the thread concept has already been addressed, but as far as what you said... I personally found the music to be excellent. One of the best of all the Trek movies, actually. Jerry Goldsmith was one of the best Trek composers, I always thought, and I found the last three Trek movies to all be among his best work. So that's definitely something I really liked about the movie, the soundtrack. "Odds and Ends" and "Final Fight", in particular, were amazing tracks.

As for the plot, it certainly did have some pretty serious holes, but I didn't find it too "action-y", particularly. Aged or not, I think the crew pulled off the action just fine for the most part. In fact, I thought some of the action sequences were quite good (though there were still some serious problems with some of them as well, to be fair).

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I liked the new blue color scheme for the Okudagrams. The addition of the LCD (or were they plasma?) monitors on the bridge was a nice step up as far as those things go; integrating them into the Conn, Ops, and Tactical stations added a degree of interactivity that the static LCARS were lacking.

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I liked getting to see more of Romulus, especially the Senate rotunda, and the new Romulan uniforms and new warbirds, even if I still prefer the D'Deridex overall. Donatra was also pretty awesome - I love Dina Meyer. And, it was nice to finally see a ship open up with all phasers firing in every direction at once for a change.

10. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Yeah that's what saved the movie from total failure. Erabus bless those Romulans.
    Mind you the first time I read anything about Nemesis was a brief synopsis of the scene where Shinzon is reveled to be Picard's clone. I saw that line "the scan reads as human" and I thought that meant that the Remans where actually a lost lost branch of humanity!:wtf:
    (that would have been an interesting development methinks...)

11. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*I liked the concept of Remans. The fact that we didn't hear about them until this movie actually made sense coming an alein species as secretive as the Romulans.

*I thought that the movie had decent pacing. It was almost standing still at the beginning of the movie and it got a little bit faster with every scene, and it only added up.

*I got tears in my eyes when Riker said that he couldn't remember what song Data had been whistling when they first met because I realized I couldn't either.

*I liked the Starship collision. When I'm a passenger in other people's car and we're behind a slow moving vehicle I also give the order of "Ram them" now.

*Having the view screen be destroyed was powerful. Picard was staring at his adversary through a gaping hole in the side of his ship and through the void of space. That really ups the danger factor.

*I liked the deleted scene where after Picard preforms the marriage he actually weeps and talks about how his family is being torn apart. Keeping that scene would have justified the hyper-happy Picard at the marriage for me with seeing two extreme sides right after each other.

12. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like, but the deleted scenes shouldn't have been deleted. The uncut version of the film should've been relased in DVD. I think it'd be a much better film at the end.

13. RyuRoots

I think that Data and Picard's conversation about life changing was great, and I'm very sad that it wasn't put in the film. Some parts were better left cut tho, in my opinion.

14. Cronos6939

Cronos6939 Captain Captain

I liked Nemesis.

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I agree. The jokey bit with Commander Madden and the seat-belted chair was best left on the floor, IMO.

16. Vger

Vger Lieutenant Red Shirt

My favoritie part of the movie were the battle scenes at the end. The one part where the bridge gets hit and the helmsman gets sucked through the view screen was great.

17. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

I liked:

*Riker and Troi's wedding
    *Brent Spiner's acting when Data deactivates B-4.
    *The Enterprise preparing for battle with Picard's voiceover.
    *Beverly sitting on Picard's desk and their conversation in that scene.
    *The end battle.
    *Riker talking about the first time he met Data.
    *Dina Meyer and Ron Perlman.
    *Guinan's cameo.
    *Picard and Riker's goodbye scene.
    *The end scene with Picard smiling.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  18. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I like Nemesis. The battle scene was awsome for a start. Initally I didnt like nemesis however after reading the novel I grew to like it a lot more. I think it could have done with more character development re Shimzon. The mental rape scene did not come across well in the movie but when you read the background in the book it works. I still think inserrection and generations were worse out of TNG films and TMP wasnt as good. I liked the concept of the Reamans and that concept was explored much more in the book. I also liked the idea of the B4 and his interaction with data. Data's death obviously brought a tear to my eyes and also the scene where the before you was trying to sing the song data had sung. I dont think it deserves half the stick it gets.

19. Timefire1986

Timefire1986 Cadet Newbie

I never thought NEMESIS was a bad movie, and that's not revisionist thinking on my part. There is only one truly apocryphal TREK film, and that's STV:TFF.

I was generally moved by the scene (which could be our final scene with this crew forever, it looks like) with the TNG crew mourning Data at the end. Riker's recounting of first meeting Data in the holodeck 15 years earlier, 22 years ago now, is how *we* all first met Data in 1987, and I generally tear up at that. (Levar Burton emoted legitimately at that moment also.) I was 13 when TNG brgan--it was The Show! So, NEMESIS was evocative in that way, for me. It reminded me how much had happened in such a short space of time. I still like the idea of cloning Picard, even if it wasn't executed properly.

20. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

- the opening shot of the Enterprise (though nowhere near as good as the one from FC)

- the Senate scene

That's about it.

But off topic, the new LCARS/Okudagrams were HORRIBLE (thank you Stuart Baird :rolleyes:) and the CGI was awful throughout.