The Planet Destroyer from 'Doomsday Machine'. Wha'd they do with it??

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dale Sams, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess they could send out a bunch of transports to build some kind of primitive warp drive on to it. They take it to the Sol System to....use as a big paperweight?

They can't cut the neutronium. The explosion probably rendered almost everything inside useless to study. But it still seems to dangerous to leave lying around.

So is it just sitting on the moon or something?

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Re: The Planet Destroyer from 'Doomsday Machine'. Wha'd they do with i

I will admit, when I saw your thread title, I assumed you were referring to the filming model. Of course, I still wouldn't actually know the answer.

Obviously, we don't have a canon answer. But a couple of novels have made mention of this:

- A short story in Constellations has it sent to a Starfleet research facility called The Yard.

- In Before Dishonor, it is set up as some kind of museum. Sorry, the details are a little fuzzy here, because Before Dishonor wasn't that good and I've tried to block it from my memory! ;)

3. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suppose it's location was added to the star charts of the fleet, treated as pretty much a rogue asteroid. I can't imagine it being useful for anything.

Scientifically speaking, shouldn't the doomsday machine have an immense gravitational pull?

4. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They kept a chunk of it around for Krako to chew on.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there were a poll, I'd vote for the paperweight option.

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Retrofit it down to a giant windsock. :)

7. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Maybe they can cut neutronium. I could understand that it was impervious to battle damage, but in a controlled workshop/laboratory condition they may be able to work with it. They probably sent one of those Ptolemy class Tug ships to grab it and bring it back. Any chance to learn how to work with that material would be a shame to pass it up.

Is there such a thing as space coral, they could use it for a coral reef, in space.

And that secret bioweapons part of the Federation is fixing it to use on their enemies, right? Isn't that how these things end? Where is the Planet Killer? With Top Men. Top Men.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, they put it in a crate! :guffaw:

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They made it into a theme park in Orlando.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Does Orlando still exist after the Xindi bisected Florida in a weapons test?

12. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I assume they took that to a research facility for extensive study. I cant imagine they just left it floating around. Even with internal damage I am sure they would learn what they could from it.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They put a large comet in its mouth and made the galaxy's biggest sno-cone!

14. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They probably dragged it somewhere for study by Top Men and then dumped it in a black hole when they were done if they found it was still dangerous.

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Why can't it be cut with a antimatter beam?

16. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha! Rosetta found a lot of snow on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, didn't it?

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

We don't know if the fictional neutronium is the same as actual neutron star material. If it is, moving it would require a LOT of ships because it would be so flipping massive (100 milliion tons per cubic centimeter). Also, since neutron star material is held together by gravity rather than atomic bonds, to cut it would be like cutting water...it would just flow back together (which also means it should just crush itself into a sphere unless there is some other powerful force maintaining its shape).

18. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Star System L-374 was mostly destroyed, planets blown to bits, rubble/asteroids adrift everywhere. The "Planet Killer" inner mechanism was, itself, destroyed by the rigged self-destruct of the derelict Starship Constellation. Science vessels tried to glean what little remained of that mechanism, but that expedition turned out to essentially be forensic/archeological in nature. Science might someday benefit, but there would be no quick plundering operations there.

When the Constellation exploded, the machine's inner mechanism exploded as well, damaging the neutronium hull. The imperfect cone of course had a gaping hole in its "bow", but other fissures also formed from the explosion. The many-miles-long "dead hulk", isolated in a sector of frontier space that never offered any strategic value, was too large and bulky for any known propulsion to carry to any nearby starbase or other friendly facility. So the only thing left to do was for a couple of portable, automated sub-light dockyard tugs to push (or pull) the dead hull deeper into the debris field, where navigation was a hazard and no curious adventurers would bother to look. The intense gravity of the dead hull complicated the towing operation, and some smaller nearby asteroids were attracted to the dead hull. The resulting collisions eventually rendered the tugs inoperative; the dead hull and tugs were abandoned, as Starfleet deemed their crushed technologies unsalvageable and to be of little value to alien scavengers. The whole operation was abandoned after only ten years.

One science vessel stayed behind at the end of the mission to construct a very small space station near the asteroid field. The station would be automated, but would be rigged to allow for occasional manned expeditions to visit at intervals planned by Starfleet command. A small observatory on the little space station would monitor the effect of the dead hull's neutronium-induced gravity on nearby asteroids. Over the next 100 years, the station would receive occasional visits to refit the facilities and to formally conduct manual audits of the deal hull's "progress". In that time, the asteroids began to fall into the dead hull's gravity with increasing frequency, ultimately embedding themselves in the dead hull's growing mass. As the dead hull accumulated more debris, the overall gravity of the mass continued to escalate, leading to an acceleration of growth. The collisions grew in size, frequency, and violence. Starfleet heeded the report of the Constellation-class U.S.S. Stargazer, commanded by newly promoted Captain Jean-Luc Picard, to allow for the continued operation of the space station. Picard expressed enthusiasm for the mission, heralding what he called the historic formation of the proto-planet Decker.

Turns out that Federation science gleaned more from Decker's formation than from the examination of the dead hull's remains in the first place.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^You just made that up. :)

20. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice though.