DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

[paraphrased] "Go fuck yourself it's my home, shit in there is dangerous so you're not getting in. Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Good one. Where is the fortress anyway? It can't be on U.S. soil.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It seems to be on its own island at the "North Pole." So not within the jurisdiction of the US Government.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Trevor was referring to the Justice League of America, the US government's pet super-team. Because all important super hero teams in the nu52 have to be called Justice Leagues even though they have nothing to do with each other.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Mr. Light...the occupation of Wayne Tower is a Gotham City situation, and Batman has made it clear in the past many times (I'm sure it's the same in the New 52) that Gotham is HIS city and the League will only intervene if he himself asks for his aide. Otherwise there's no reason for the League to intervene.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. Mike Farley

I don't know. Nu52 Superman doesn't seem the type to stand aside and allow civilians to be hurt just because Batman told him to.

7. Admiral_Young

If Talia occupied the entire city...then yeah perhaps they would intervene, not to mention the bigger picture where she's essentially booby trapped the entire world with bombs. That'd be a much more dire situation requiring the League's attention.

8. Mike Farley

Might have been worth it to throw in a panel or two showing that Talia had engineered situations to keep the big gun heroes occupied outside of Gotham.

9. Admiral_Young

Yeah..and who knows we still might see the League pop up in the final issues still in some way.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i took it as Trevor threatening Constantine with the newly formed Justice League of America.

and i too would like to see Shade come back. he was only in that first JLD arc, be nice if they shifted the roster a bit more.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Quick Question:

Am I correct in thinking that everything in the four Green Lantern books and the preceding War of the Green Lanterns (if that was what it was called?) takes place after Hal leaves the Justice League with the various series meeting up again when the JL takes on Simon Baz in Green Lantern? This means that there must have been a fairly large time gap between the August and November 2012 issues of Justice League, correct?

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that War was before New 52, and that we essentially have a continuity problem. There was never a single moment between Hal getting a ring from Sinestro, and his "death" by Black Hand for him to spend any time running around with the League.

13. Admiral_Young

War of the Green Lanterns was the last major GL story arc of the pre-New 52 I believe.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yeah, that sounds right to me since I mainly have the GL titles. The last time I recall Hal interacting with them was during the Brightest Day arc.

15. theenglish

Now, there is basically only one contemporary Justice League story arc before Hal leaves the League. It could have taken place just prior to the indigo lanterns story arc, but why would Hal resign from the League at that point. He is no longer a Corps member so what pressing off-world business could he have?

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

No it couldn't have, since Hal did not have a charged ring at that point.

17. theenglish

Right, I had forgotten that. So, back to my original hypothesis that the War of the Green Lanterns arc takes place after Hal leaves the League in the new 52.

18. Admiral_Young

According to this wikipedia entry for "War of the Green Lanterns" it was published March 2011- August 2011...which as I said in my previous post, was the last major GL arc that took place in the pre-New 52 DCU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Green_Lanterns

Now I haven't been reading GL during the New 52 but wasn't this meant to be set up for "Green Lantern" and the whole pairing with Sinestro?

As for the timeline...all of GL's continuity was carried over into the New 52...but Rao if I know where it is all supposed to fit over the five years or what not.

19. theenglish

Yes, GL #1 starts off after the war with Hal living on earth without his ring and Sinestro going to him for help. Thus far, Hal has only had a pseudo ring that was created for him by Sinestro, but I have only read up to issue #16.

20. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Have you read the Indigo arc yet? I ask because that involved a change to Hal's ring, and I'd be glad to put that sort of thing in spoiler code if you'd prefer. I'm just not entirely sure it would be considered such or not.