Free Comic Book Day - What did you get?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Cmndr J Crichton, May 5, 2010.

1. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Myself, I got War of the Supermen #0, Iron Man/Thor crossover, and GI Joe #155. I love this event. I try to attend every year. My only gripe: Why do stores limit so few issues to people when there are over 30+ issues to give out? My store only allowed 3.

I say if one wants one of each, they should be allowed to. One year, my store only allowed one issue. I understand that they may only have so many issues, but the store I go to certainly recieved enough for people to get what they want. Heck, they even had stuff from last year! I would've loved to hasve gotten Green Hornet #1, or the War Machine click (Which counted as a free comic).

Other than that, I look foward to Free comic book day 2011. I'll just have to plan ahead next time so I won't be so shocked!

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad you opened this topic. I only got one comic. But before I mention it let me give you a preface of what happened earlier that day:

I hit the flea market and was looking through these old comics. The guy said that each one was a dollar. They had plastic wraps. I found my favorite issue of any comic ever, in there... G.I Joe #21... the legendary silent issue, in great condition.

I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, Free Comic Book Day for me was all about G.I. Joe #155 and a half! Larry Hama returns, as does the old continuity. I feel like a kid again!

And, the preface mentions issue #21 as the historic landmark it is!

3. Cmndr J Crichton

That's pretty freaky! Buying a classic GI Joe issue that had an effect on the FCD issue! Pretty neat. I joked with the retailer that what Cobra Commander says on the cover (155) is just before he yells, 'Retreeeat!'. I do with that the movie was more like the COBRA mini-series that came out a few months before Rise of Cobra.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I'm not much into superhero comics (unless they are female heros) but I loved G.I. Joe all my life. The idea of a secret govenrment organization was played very well in the comics, as was the idea that Cobra was, indeed, a terrorist organization. The whole idea of a ninja clan (barely) thriving in modern day society was also interesting. I think Hama had scripts that were multi-layered and complex. I was reviewing a random old issue recently and, as an adult, I found myself intrigued and challenged to follow it.

The FCBD issue will bring on a new series taking up the continuity where he left off!

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i got GI Joe 155 1/2 from eBay (being in the UK)

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I got Iron Man/Thor, Iron Man/Nova. War of the Supermen, GI Joe, Simpsons and The Tick.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My store gives you one free the rest for 50 cents each. I think that's reasonable since the comic store has to PAY for these things and they're losing a lot of money on this day in the hopes of getting new customers. If they gave everybody twenty free comics that'd be ridiculous. I got War of the Supermen, Iron Man / Thor, Iron Man / Nova, and Irredeemable.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I grabbed THE GREEN HORNET . . . .

9. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our store's limit was one of each book out their. I picked up 10 different books, including War Machine click, War of Superman 0, Toy Story, Two marvels with Iron Man, the DC children's issue Tiny Titan, etc.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

My nephew recently expressed an interest in comic books for some reason so I used the opportunity to get him Shrek/Penguins of Madagascar, Toy Story and Sonic (and a non-FCBD Scooby Doo). I got Tick, Atomic Robo and Fearless Dawn. I guess my store was pretty generous (and this is the first year they had a limit).

11. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a reminder just now that yesterday was free comic book day. Damn I never remember that!:scream: What was the Iron/Man Thor crossover? Is it in current Thor continuity or a tie in to the movies?

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Iron Man / Thor book (art by John Romita Jr and story by Matt Fraction) was unfortunately utterly forgettable and completely stand-alone. It was about someone using Tony's technology to build a base on the moon and it was affecting the Earth's weather. No real bad guys.

13. Cmndr J Crichton

I also got a coupon for a free issue of War of the Supermen #1! I'm getting that really soon. As in about 20 minutes.

14. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FCBD happens in the UK too. Go to a Forbidden Planet or Travelling Man store, and you can pick up the free comics there. They usually do try and limit the number of comics you walk out with, though.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Fraction should have given the moon people some teeth-- automated defenses, killer robots or something. As it is, there was no real drama in the story. They just go up to the moon and blow up some tech and the story is over.

And I think that the way the characters are handled (and depending on how the Thor and Avengers movies unfold) the continuity of this tale might be just be able to fit in both the comics and movie continuities.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

no FP near me and i've never heard of Travelling Man.

disposableheroes.co.uk were doing them for 99p on the bay, just to cover fees and postage.

17. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Travelling Man are pretty good. They have stores in Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, York and Nottingham. I tend to prefer them over FP as far as going in for a nerdy chat and getting new comics goes (although they don't have as much stock on-site as FP do, but they can order you anything). They also get involved with stuff like the Thought Bubble con in Leeds.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stores limit the FCBD books because they have to pay for those books they're giving you. They are not free to the LCS. Bigger, more prosperous stores can afraid to give away more books, but a lot of smaller stores just can't afford to let people take everything.

When you hit the store for FCBD, try to buy something. Make it worth the store's time and money to continue to support FCBD.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

War of the Supermen

Iron Man and Nova

Spider-Man Grim hunter