Zero Hour is Terrible.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215797/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I've really been enjoying King of the Nerds, a Survivor/The Apprentice reality Gameshow where "Nerds" compete to sit on the "Throne of Games" and win a hundred grand... Which is being hosted by Booger and Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds, so I was thinking to myself, what's Gilbert up to?

This is what Gilbert is up to and it's awful.

The story starts in 1949 where the Polish(I think?) underground is barely hiding a Religious supernatural artefact from the NAZIs that is tied in somehow to the coming Apocalypse.

That bit wasn't so abhorrent.

Skip to modern day, and a pretty girl is buying an antique magic clock from a flea market on the board walk, just in time for a Eurotrash assassin to break into her place of work and kidnap the horologist because he can't quite find the magic clock which she left at workshop at home .

Luckily her husband "Gilbert" an internet journalist publisher who travels the world debunking the supernatural, who is annoyed that his wife has been kidnapped and swears to god above that he will travel the limits of the Earth to get his woman back form the clutches of that evil Where's Wally who is on an international treasure hunt while dragging a bound woman with him.

Yup. Gilbert is on a never-ending Quest to save his girlfriend!

This almost sounds like Indiana Jones, but the production values are so cheap and the direction is off and the whole feel is direct to video and the staggering of the story makes it almost seem like a Scoobie Doo plot.

Very unimpressive.

2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

For a minute there I thought you were flashing back to the DC mini-series.

3. Guy Gardener

To be fair, 9 times out of ten I usually am.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

ABC needs to give up and just make miniseries for that time slot. It's up against American Idol, Big Bang Theory, Community. It's DoA, and should be a miniseries like Last Resort.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that wasn't a miniseries, it was a regular old TV series that got cancelled quickly, but that got enough advance warning of its cancellation to rework the last episode into a series finale.

And in any case, the term would've been "limited series." The term "miniseries," in TV usage, usually refers to something made up of two or more 2-hour installments, generally aired on consecutive nights.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Think the point wasn't that Last Resort WAS a limited series, just that it SHOULD have been. If it was planned for 8-10 episodes and that's it, could have made it work. As an ongoing series, not sure how the premise was EVER going to work.

And if you sell it as a limited run, maybe you steal some eyeballs from the bigger competition, knowing it's a tighter story with a definite end, and that all 8-10 will air.

As an open series, going against big competition, guaranteed to have shit rankings and disappear soon anyway, unless it's ALSO a big hit. Not sure why you'd sacrifice something you think's going to be a big hit against a couple of the highest rated network shows, so ... ?

7. Guy Gardener

200 billion people watch idol.

Does picture inside a picture count towards ratings?

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, just do 13 episode miniseries. If they turn out to be a massive hit, do an American Horror Story, or even a sequel to the series. But have the series have an ending. These seem like miniseries shows anyways, and clearly just being used as filler. If they actually cared about Last Resort like they claimed, move it to Wednesdays at 10 and Nashville to Sundays at 10. Didn't even bother.

Wow... must be popular in outer space!

9. Guy Gardener

I was counting all the cats who belong to the crazy-catladies as people.

10. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ I'm disappointed that it didn't, notwithstanding that this is the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum. It's been too long since Airplane! was last referenced at length on this board.

Of course, Airplane II was sci-fi to an extent...

12. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except that Airplane II didn't involve Abrahams or the Zucker Bros., and rather abruptly stopped being funny on January 28, 1986.