I'm back

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome back, Miss Chicken! I really like the bookmarks. Hope the physio is helpful.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Thanks everyone for your nice comments - I didn't realise that I was so missed (I have just read the Where's Miss Chicken thread).

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Try to think of your disability as an excuse not to be so hard on yourself. You're not working because you need to focus on your health. It's not your fault, and previous employment would have just complicated your ability to get better.

As for your resume: you should absolutely put your volunteer work on the same level as paid work. Some potential employers might not feel the same way, but I guarantee you'll do better in the job market by presenting an image that you believe the work was equivalent to paid work.

Feel better. *hugs*

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome back. Hasn't quite been the same without you. The party can start now :D

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Welcome back Miss Chicken. You were missed and those bookmarks look great.

6. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Now I'm glad I've been aggravating you on Facebook. I really would've missed you. :lol:

Ugh, sorry to hear you've been feeling so down. But I really admire you for doing something about it. That's usually the hardest thing to do when you feel down.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Welcome back, Miss Chicken. :) I'm sorry to hear that your arthritis has worsened, but hopefully the physical therapy and medication can mitigate that somewhat so you can return to being able to take those walks, since they sounded like a pleasant way to relax outdoors and get some exercise at the same time. I hope your pain doesn't get you too down. Good luck and best wishes to you on your treatment. :techman:

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Great to see you back, Miss Chicken...we definitely missed ya! I'll echo the sentiments of everybody else who posted before me and say you're an integral part of the board family who's sorely missed when you're not here!

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yeah. This pretty much sums it up. Nice to have you back, Miss Chicken.

10. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I can relate to both the disability and the arthritis and a feeling of being useless.

But you're not, you know. People contribute in other ways to life other than working a 9-to-5. Sometimes, you don't even know what you do because you're going about your business and may not get feedback.

Hope they sort out your health issues. Spinal arthritis *sucks.* It really limits exercise.

Glad you're back.

11. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad to have you back!

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can relate! I've also been making fitful attempts to wean myself off my internet addiction. My presence in a forum I hardly ever visit attests to my vast success in this endeavor. :rommie:

Screw it, why fight it...

13. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

welcome back :)

14. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I'm glad you're back, Miss C. This place has been much the poorer for a lack of contributions from Hobart. And you'd be one of the very few people here who might fully appreciate my current avatar. :D

I hope the health crap settles very soon.

15. Miss Chicken

Yes, I love Tassie devils.

14 healthy devils have been sent to Maria Island this week, the first of about 50 destined to be released there (in addition to others that have been held in captivity there since 2005). It is possible that there will transfers to other offshore islands in the future.

Also the authorities concerned are looking at sending devils to zoos in Europe, New Zealand and the USA (there are between 200-300 spaces available). Presently the only Tasmanian Devils outside of Australia are are handful in Copenhagen Zoo.

I also read that, as a result of Devil Facial Tumour Disease, Tasmanian Devils are becoming less aggressive. As the disease is spread as a result of fighting the less aggressive Devils have a better chance of surviving and passing that trait on.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Welcome back, Miss Chicken. :) The place isn't the same without you.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Hopefully the docs can take care of that and you can get back to being pain-free and going for walks.

And I think you underestimate your contribution to society. Anybody who does volunteer work has literally made a priceless contribution.

I'm also glad to hear some good news about the Tasmanian Devils. :)

17. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ in a few generations you'll have to rename them to Tasmanian Angels :)

Do you happen to know where one can apply for getting a few? Our local zoo just got a license to breed Siberian Tigers. They also are one of less than 10 zoos in the world that breed Short Eared Elephant Shrews (the little chaps tend to get a cardiac arrest when under stress, hence only few zoos dare to keep them). They might be interested in getting a license to breed or at least keep Tasmanian Devils, particularly since the only Australian animals they have are Emus and Bennet Wallabies (a Tasmanian subspecies).

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

I'm imagining some coordinated anti-violence campaign among the devil leaders; "remember, kids - violence leads to cancer!" The pacifist Tassie regime will denounce the feuding of the past as a relic of an unelightened age that nearly brought ruin to their people, and, lo, a golden age of Tassie cooperation will dawn.

19. Miss Chicken

40 devil joeys were born this year at the Devil Ark (Barrington Tops, New South Wales). This brings the amount of devils at the Devil Ark up to more than 100 and they hope to have 360 by 2016.

When the disease dies out on the Tasmanian mainland (either via total extinction of wild devil, or by a cure being found) there is a good chance that many of the healthy devils can be easily released back into the wild here.

20. Miss Chicken

Tasmanian Angels LOL.

I imagine, if devils are sent overseas, many zoos will be very eager to get them. Watching them at feeding time is quite amusing (and very noisy).

I have eaten Bennett's Wallabies.