teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Hundred Days:

A threat from above.

A missing child.

A lonely widow.

100 days later..

A BABY.

So, this is an interesting development, O'Neill impregnating a peasant. There is NO WAY O'Neill would have given up so easily and early, he would have been digging out that gate every single free minute. He would have also known that Hammond would not have given up on him and that their connections with interstellar travel may have eventually come to his aid (as was planned). "Next year" Carter said, well even if that's one whole year before the Tollan can pick him up that's hardly enough time give up hope.

Three months with primitives and he's giving her a requested baby.

Good storyline though, hopefully she doesn't drop dead in the next episode like Kirk's indian lady.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. gturner

gturner Admiral

Ah, a rare seven legged space spider going for Samantha's neck.

Wait, that's a real seven legged space spider. I hope you had a pistol handy.

Side note: I know a guy who accidentally blew out his TV screen with a .45 ACP when the rubber bullet he fired at a mouse ricocheted and hit it. Moral: Watch the probable ricochet angles when you're shooting critters from the couch and always wear protective eyewear like they do on SG-1.

3. teacake

That is but a wee baby huntsman, I watched it run around on the screen and eventually it disappeared over the back. I kept wishing an adult would do the same thing for a more dramatic photo but they don't often run around on stuff, preferring walls.

Here's a pic of a grown up one in the shower I took a few years ago:

[​IMG]

4. gturner

gturner Admiral

I don't recall that the baby was his (100 days isn't long enough, barely more than three months), but it has been a long time since I've seen that one. I'll have to rewatch.

The main problem I have with the episode, which was otherwise excellent, is that if you can just open up a buried gate and dig your way out that easily, why have they kept telling people to bury their gates to keep the Gou'ald from coming back?

At best I'd offer that a gate buried in rubble would just clear out some of the rubble, allowing the rest to collapse back down, but in that case the Goa'uld would just keep redialing till the gate had swalled a clear path to the surface. Another option they'd use is to send in a mining team, let them work till they die, and then send another mining team to continue, or even send a DHD through and let the miners come and go (unless perhaps a buried gate's chevrons can't move freely enough to engage, or the ring isn't free to spin, or something.

5. teacake

The episode ends with her rubbing her abdomen and looking wistful. So there is one in there for sure.

Anyway, if it turns out to be monstrous goa'uld larva baby no spoilers please!

I don't the Goa'uld would bother with all this excavation, they'd just go somewhere else.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

JESUS! If I saw that in my house, I'd pack my bags and MOVE. :lol:

7. teacake

As soon as the winter rains start they flood in and we're killing 3 to 7 a week. They also come in during drought, and other times just cuz they like us. I should really kill the babies since they grow up but I never do as they are kind of cute.

8. gturner

gturner Admiral

Is there such a thing as a non-spoiler?

Or the Goa'uld would send a ship, and if the planet was important they'd probably send a new gate with it. The show can be slightly inconsistent on little things like that because the story developed over time. For example, Apophis attacked Earth with only one or two ships, but later we see Goa'uld using many ships ("Thor's Chariot" had at least three) to invade planets with trivially small populations and primitive technologies.

ETA: I forgot how to use spoiler tags. :P

9. teacake

I mean if you remember that the baby is actually a hippo beamed into her belly please do not mention it in this thread.

Tech that magically works in a way 43 episodes after it didn't work that way is not a spoiler :)

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, you'll get a kick out of the next episode, but I can't say anything else. :)

I always wondered why some Goa'uld weapons had elaborate names, like zatnicotel (sp?) or Hatak motherships, but some where forever just a staff or a "Goa'uld hand device", even to the Tok'ra.

11. teacake

Shades of Grey: I LOVED THIS EPISODE.

I loved it with all my heart.

It wasn't perfect though. O'Neill is seen to be drinking Budweiser. This upsets me. Couldn't they use some perfectly pleasant Canadian beer? People should not drink Budweiser, it is horrible.

He is also listening to opera and reading a Mad magazine with Alfred E. Neuman on the cover as Darth Maul:

[​IMG]

This pleases me greatly.

There is a Seinfeld reference. "Hello Newman".

THIS PLEASES ME GREATLY.

There is a super hot woman in this episode. I hope see more of her, she should escape and go even more rogue.

[​IMG]

She also pleases me greatly!

For most of this episode I had no idea what was going on, I thought O'Neill was having some breakdown because of his peasant lovin' three months. I did sympathize with the rogue group. Even though we the viewers know that the Goa'uld will not wipe out earth they have only the evidence before them of the Goa'uld vast superiority. They really are (potentially) looking out for Earth's best interests. Of course they might really be looking out for the USA's best interests against foreign earthly powers as well in which case they are jerks but whatever. Their ideology, though not presented very convincingly as a shade of grey in this episode is still one I have some sympathy for.

I give this episode an A QUADRUPLE PLUS!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's my first actual grade and it will be my last :lol:

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

The spoiler I could've provided is that O'Neill gets forced into retirement and decides to return to the planet with the woman who wanted to have his baby, so they send him without an GDO, knowing he can never return, and that he stays there happily FOR ABOUT EIGHT SECONDS. :D

It was a well done episode, and in some ways even more impressive on a second viewing. Now that you know the con, you can see that General Hammond was acting, and the difference is so slight, yet so there, that I was really impressed. It's just enough so that you didn't catch on during the first viewing, yet so obvious that upon a second viewing you think "How are Daniel, Sam, and Tea'lc not seeing through this charade?" Flip back to the first part of the episode and you'll see what I mean. It's an amazing performance not for its depth, but for its subtlety. I went, "So that's how a good actor acts like someone who's a good actor."

As an aside, in several episodes they mention his grandkids, but they never mention his daughter. As it turns out, his daughter is Dana Scully from the X-Files (several episodes). You could build a vast conspiracy around that one. :)

13. teacake

Oh I will definitely watch it again! That's great about Hammond.

New Ground: Religion is bad m'kay.. and you know, it didn't even go there. It just told a story and in that story were a bunch of people so fucked over by the Goa'uld that they thought them gods, just like on a lot of other planets. Kirk would have made a great speech at the end of this episode and they would have all repented of their superstitions but thankfully that did not happen. I'm particularly thrilled that they actually took someone with them to stay!

Also O'Neill again with the physics..

RIGAR: Wormhole?
    O’NEILL: Giant worms. Huge.

14. teacake

Maternal Instinct: Sha're's baby is being raised by a wisp and Daniel is revealed to secretly desire super powers.

MONK: The sun is warm, the wind is wild, the grass is green along the shores. Here no bull can hide.
    O’NEILL (quietly): I don’t know about that.

15. teacake

Crystal Skull: I've got some newagers in my neighborhood who last year were having seminars on crystal skulls and their magical mayan powers. This was an interesting enough story and I enjoyed seeing Daniel's grandfather.

I keep noticing how the little doctor brings Carter drinks all the time.. coffee, water. Carter doesn't mention wanting them, it's like the Janet is just keeping an eye out for her. She doesn't bring any of the men drinks.

And on to the Season 3 finale!

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's mentioned twice after this episode, in the next one Shades of Grey (which you've seen) and again in season 8, but that's a one-liner made by someone else (a guest star of that episode).

17. teacake

Well that wasn't exactly a question..

I am really trying to stay spoiler free so if I say "I hope we see so and so again" I'm not asking to be told.

:)

18. teacake

Nemesis: THE OPENING HAS CHANGED! I preferred the first one.

Poor O'Neill, he's about to go fishing when he's conscripted by the Asgard for a suicide mission. Could be worse, he could be Carson Beckett.

[​IMG]

That was okay, not exactly a season finale I'll be rewatching.

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

My favorite line was when the scientist said something like "I'd like this to be a teleportation device, I really would.... But what we have here. is. a. paperweight."

All the known crystal skulls have since turned out to be fakes made with high-speed rotary tools.

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

There's a subtlety here you apparently missed.

A completely buried gate will not connect.
    A gate with an iris will connect but will not KAWOOSH.
    A gate with more than a minimal amount of space in front of it will KAWOOSH, doing strange things to conservation of mass in the process.

In this episode, the conceit was that since the Gate was hit by the meteor while it was active, the rock hardened into something very much like an iris rather than simply burying it. That's why the gate was still able to connect. They needed to melt that iris using Sokar's technique in order to open enough space for it to KAWOOSH. Plus, once it KAWOOSHed once and then closed, they couldn't open it again for fear of disintegrating Teal'c.