Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Pretty much seemed to confirm that she's Inhuman to me.

2. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

I'm now expecting a twist that G.H. is Skyes father... :devil:

And May in those glasses while beating the crap out of people. I... uh... *faints*

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not taking that account of "monsters" at face value quite yet. There's something more to it. Kree would be the most obvious...which raises the disturbing possibility that the "guest" was one of her parents? Or perhaps someone sent to find them? Is there a Kree related story in the comics about one of their number hiding on earth? I mean what else would two Kree and an infant be doing here besides laying low?

I really liked that Cytek were intelligent enough to know that the best way to guard against their records being hacked is to use only hardcopy and a strong lock. Not foolproof, clearly, but still nice to see.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: The fate of Fitz/Simmons: Consider Chekhov's Gun. This episode made a point of Triplett mentioning that the walkie-talkie quarter he gave Fitz had a homing beacon in it. We were later shown that Fitz had that quarter in his pocket aboard the Bus, along with the EMP joy buzzer. Assuming the EMP didn't fry the quarter -- which it wouldn't, because clearly the quarter is being set up to have a later payoff -- it follows that its homing beacon is how the team will find Fitz/Simmons in the ocean.

I loved that part.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree. There was a reason we were shown the shot of Ward apparently reconsidering and once again drawing down on poor old "Buddy". BTW, how long was Ward in the woods? The first time Garrett comes back, young Ward said 6 months, but later we see Ward again and the character has morphed into present day Ward. That seemes like a lot more than 6 months altogether.

And this should once and for all convice poor Fitz that his apparentely first "cool friend", is a traitor and a murderer. I don't think we'll see him freak out again though.
    My thoughts exactly as I watched.

Yep, there was a reason we were shown that little bit. But it was the first thing I thought about when Fitz set off the EMP. I'm sure there will be some technobabbly reason it didn't get fried.

My favorite was "...OMG, is that a Hypno-Beam?".

6. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was really hoping they'd use the Hypno-Beam!

And yes, the large file transfer was great.

I can't believe there's only 1 episode left.

7. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

When Garret got Ward out of prison, the caption said 15 years, when we first see FlashbackWard played by the regular actor, it says 10 years, so minimum 5 years.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Fine episode. It sounds like many SHIELD agents went into the private sector, and not just with Stark and that large file transfer scene put a huge smile on my face.

Fitz/Simmons fell over 50 feet. I didn't see them in the trailer for the finale and wouldn't be surprised if they were hospitalized in the next episode.

May, Triplett, and Coulson verses multiple Deathloks and someone with the berserker staff? I don't see how they are going to get out of this one.

Yes.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of Ian Quinn's "Better, stronger, faster" comment? :lol:

10. kitik

Watched it a second time. Some little things stood out:

-Garrett called Deathlok a monster. (Perhaps an intentional word since Raina used it later in the show.)

-I love how the bad guys have taken over the plane and are using everything in it.

-Garrett mentioned that he's been disappointed with Ward's results. Then we see Raina manipulating both Deathlok and Ward.

-A conversation between Ward and Garrett mentioned Raina's eyes. I think that might have been a hint.

-After being injected with the GH235, Ward asked what Garrett was feeling. He answered "the universe". That's not some sort of Captain Marvel/Kree/cosmic awareness is it?

-So when the container with Fitz/Simmons dropped out of the plane from a relatively low altitude, should it have skipped along the surface or contained some sort of forward momentum from the speed of the plane?

-Funny to see Glenn Morshower playing the general at the very end. Does this place AOS in the same universe as Transformers or X-Men?

11. kitik

No news, but I found some useful information for those of us who don't follow this stuff every year:

-ABC is announcing their fall schedule next Tuesday, May 13.

-Lots of announcements are apparently expected to happen this week, so we may know by Friday. So within the next 48 hours maybe.

-Don't assume that no early news is a bad sign, because apparently ABC hasn't officially renewed any shows for next season yet. All the other networks have made lots of early announcements, many of them months ago, but it looks like ABC is waiting to announce everything all at once.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Skye and the GH "alien" being Inhumans is a very interesting possibility. Being an Inhuman could account for the GH alien's appearance but still allow for Skye to look normal...and Skye and parents were found in China, whereas the traditional location of the Great Refuge was somewhere in the Himalayas....

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Some, but that thing is clearly heavy and has all the aerodynamic characteristics of...well a metal cube. The drag alone should cancel out most of the lateral inertia before it hit the water. Either way, it's got to be a rough ride for Fitz & Simmons unless they somehow managed to strap themselves down in the two and a half seconds they were airborne.

Realistically there should be broken bones and concussions at best...but this is a TV show with killer cyborgs juicing on alien bio-matter, so we can let realism slide in favour of drama every once in a while.

Nah that's just the gods of typecasting at work. ;)

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Great Refuge was mobile. If it had been sitting there for the last 20 thousand years then the human base line characters in the Inhumans would not have looked central European, since the appearances of different ethnicities are derived from 40 thousands years of continuously similar weather and inbreeding.

Inhuman fits well, but had the child not underwent terrigenesis, or had the child come out the other other side of that transformation as still human... Which sounds familiar and pissed off Inhuman Genetic Council, creating a Moses like situation.

Skye is entirely Human in so as far as Human technology can determine, because she has been tested and prodded since S.H.I.E.L.D. found her, and then gave her that awful name.

Oh frakk.

Is that the origin they gave her?

A name so awful, that she could never settle for, that would force her to track down her REAL origin.

Cluish anagrams of Mary Sue Poots...

A Trey Opossum
    Tearoom Pussy
    Mousetraps Yo
    Maestro Soupy
    Teary Opossum
    Amorous Types
    Pastor Mousey
    Autopsy Mores
    A Mousers Typo
    A Messy Uproot
    Tearoom Spy Us
    Mare Stops You
    Smear Post You
    Masseur Top Yo
    Same Spot Your
    Same Typos Our
    Assume Too Pry
    Amuse Root Spy
    Meat Soup Rosy
    Meaty Spoor Us
    Opera Smuts Yo
    Arouses My Pot
    Orates My Soup
    Reaps Most You
    Rapes Most You
    Payers Sum Too

(full list)

http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Mary+Sue+Poots+&t=1000&a=n

15. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't think she has any direct relationship whatsoever with the Kree alien, nor that the Kree had anything to do with the attack. Not sure where those assumptions are coming from anyway.

I'm basing it purely on the fact that "monsters" attacked the village (a plural term suggesting a variety of them, rather than, say, "blue skinned aliens" or "monsters with tiger-like faces"), that Raina identifies herself as being like Skye, and the fact that many Inhumans can look perfectly human until their potential "inside" is released, such as with Terrigan Mist. Which certainly goes along with Raina's obsession with Skye and herself.

The fact that the Inhumans have a relationship with the Kree (they performed genertic experiments on Humans, creating the Inhumans) just makes it all the more likely to me, thus giving a reason why the extracted chemicals worked just fine on Skye without causing her to go nuts like it does on most Human subjects. It's also a nice way for Marvel to reclaim mutants without being able to actually use the Mutants.

They also hinted at their existence in one of the movies, with The Fault scribbled on Selvig's chalkboard.

Also, I seriously doubt if Skye learned to master shapeshifting into human form as a toddler, and never noticed she had such an ability.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you considered how difficult it is to be a Skrull parent if there wasn't a simple device that allowed you to temporarily lock the genetic structure of your toddler like some humans harness their kids to leashes before they take them to the park.

(Although Skrulls have hypnotic powers, so they might not even need a device... Although, since the Johnny Storm's egg was a fake, and everything we found out about Skrull biology from the Skrull Kill Krew... Are we sure that Skrulls breed at all? They could just assimilate by feeding parts of themselves to other races?)

If my parents leashed me in public, after the first time I saw the Empire Strikes Back, I would have added one plus one and those fucks would have gone down.

17. The Old Mixer

Tying the GH alien in as another potential Inhuman is my contribution. An Inhuman can look like pretty much anything, and it fits with Sif's assertion that the Kree hadn't visited Earth recently.

Skye doesn't need to be a shapeshifter, several of the most prominent Inhumans look like humans (Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Maximus).

A bit more circumstantial evidence of an Inhuman connection with the GH alien....I was just rewatching the episode with the Guest House, the location of which was a subject of debate here. Between it being in a WWII bunker and the guards' passphrase being "How was the drive from Istanbul?", I'd say that a Eurasian location would be quite likely.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think you misunderstand the nature of code phrases like that.

19. The Old Mixer

I'm well aware, but it would make sense for the code phrase to sound innocuous within the setting.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Clearly nobody thought it was anything but a callsign, though. Then again, Coulson has good deductive reasoning so he might have figured it out anyway, but there might have been at least some confusion is they could have driven from Istanbul.