Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

One would have to agree it's far more noticeable with STiD than ST09, though. (And not because there's any very perceptible difference in overall quality between the two films, I don't think. If anything I actually think STiD is the better film.)

Nobody can "convince" anyone to hate a movie they genuinely like. Whether a movie ages well past its early delivery and hype, or ceases to benefit from an early surge of nostalgia, is a different question. It's a fact of life that nostalgia only stretches so far.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But it really isn't though.

But has any of the Star Trek movies aged particularly well with general audiences? Seems to me that general audiences don't really hold any of the Trek films in high-regard once they get past opening in the theater/released on home-video. I don't see general audiences rallying against this movie, they watched it and moved on. It really seems some folks are holding Into Darkness to a standard that they don't hold the rest of the franchise too (yet again).

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What the hell is this supposed to even mean? Yes, it was a ripoff of TWOK. Stomping your feet and going "Is not!" doesn't change the objective reality.

Don't forget Darth Maul.

And we all know that things stop being true if they're not constantly mentioned every five minutes.

4. BillJ

Do general audiences now hate Star Trek: The Next Generation because they've moved onto other things?

5. BigJake

No? I don't remember ST09 getting denounced at any conventions.

Yes. The Wrath of Khan, and to a lesser extent The Voyage Home. Most of the rest were far less essential (particularly the later attempts to build big dumb action spectacles around aging casts -- at least they eventually figured out they needed young actors for that :)).

6. BillJ

It got denounced at one convention, by one-hundred people done by someone who Abrams pissed off. Why do people keep ignoring the much larger sample sizes from places like this?

Seems some folks simply have an agenda...

I don't see many non-Trek fans, actually none, that discuss any Trek movies.

7. BigJake

Really? Where? I don't remember that.

8. BillJ

9. BigJake

Yes, that I remember. That happened after STiD's release. I was asking if ST09 had gotten reactions like that; I don't remember anything comparable to that happening after the release of the first Abrams film.

10. BillJ

I'm sure it would have if Abrams had withheld a pre-screening from Devin Faraci.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/840039445/1747616096?token=628a5304

11. BigJake

:rommie: I suspect you overrate Faraci's influence on the debate just a tad...

12. BillJ

There are some people who suspect the whole Vegas thing was made up by Faraci to get back at Abrams.

But is it being overrated? Websites picked it up and ran with it, claiming that people were disappointed with the film because of that Vegas poll.

13. BigJake

Yeah, that sounds like conspiracy theory to me.

(Unless Faraci is paying off ringers around the world to create a false impression of dissent... in which case, where the heck is my piece? I'd better send him an invoice. ;) )

14. BillJ

Call it what you will. But no one has ever provided any evidence that the poll ever happened, except Faraci. As far as I know.

15. BigJake

16. BillJ

First time I've ever seen that article. But it still makes one group that rates the film that low while sites where there are many more voters have rated the film quite highly. So it still begs the question: why do some hold such a small sample size so highly while ignoring far larger sample sizes?

17. BigJake

I don't think some "hold it highly" at all. It's just one of many indicators that there's more fan dissatisfaction with STiD than with its predecessor. As I said earlier. Nobody is saying this is a majority view in fandom as a whole, at least not at this point.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Okay, and now: who gets to decide what is (or is not) the "objective reality"?

19. BillJ

What other indicators are there? People complaining on the internet?

I'm really curious what the indicators are?

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. The venom for ST09 lasted three and three quarter YEARS! I could check in here daily and be confronted with at LEAST twenty, maybe thirty threads containing new bashing/defensive postings. Many threads with pages and paaaages of new posts. It was hella insane compared with today.