Abrams Commits To Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Sep 14, 2011.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

2. M'Sharak

The article's TTNI forum thread here will probably also be worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Wooooooo!

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I wonder what this means for the timing of the film's release. I'm still hoping for a 2012 release, even if it's near Christmas 2012. Am I late on this? Have they already ruled out a 2012 release date? Am I an idiot?

5. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Yes to at least one of those!!
    ;)

6. M'Sharak

From TrekMovie's article about this:

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am glad JJ's back to direct. Really looking forward to this movie.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

As late as Winter 2013 - damn they're making us wait!

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I didn't know, that there was even any doubt about that, but good thing that it's official.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Woohoo! STXII here we come! :D

11. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Aw hell, I feel proud just posting on the first page of this thread.

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    wow, a potential four and a half year gap between movies is just ridiculous

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's like Star Trek Nemesis all over again!

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great news! And I'm almost getting used to it bring called "Star Trek 2"

15. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 Lieutenant Commander

I feel the same way that Roy Disney did when he described Disney as having lost its soul. I can't help but feel the same way about Star Trek with the state of things in relating to all things Star Trek.

I am disappointed by the direction that Star Trek has moved in since the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise. First Kathryn Janeway is killed off & replaced by some new faceless replacement. Then J.J. Abrams turned Star Trek into something shallow that doesn’t stay true to the ideals that Gene Roddenberry established for the franchise. The film plot felt very shallow & was just another excuse for gratuitous use of CGI that looks like every other movie that Hollywood produces these days. It felt like Star Trek: 90210 to me (lots of pretty faces just in the film, and unnecessary scenes of people getting it on for sex appeal which does nothing to add to the story).

“Abrams Trek” does not represent the fans that made Star what it was prior his hijacking the entire Star Trek universe. It is insulting that J.J. Abrams felt that it was necessary to appeal to a new or casual fan that generally would have no interest in Star Trek in the first place. Where does that leave lifelong Star Trek fans such as me, who have actually helped shape Star Trek over the years by investing much of my time & money?

I have been a Star Trek fan for most of my life & I feel like Star Trek has been hijacked by people who do really care about it & are only just interested in milking the franchise for money regardless of how badly they destroy/ruin the Star Trek that lifelong fans created

Ever since Paramount decided split the franchise rights with CBS the entire franchise has taken a direction that deeply saddens me. Since that split the entirety of Star Trek has been treated with disrespect (in the books, films, and especially by J.J. Abrams).

It gives me great pain to say this but I would rather see Star Trek die rather then see its Legacy continue to be destroyed/ruined & tarnished by those who only are interested in milking the franchise for every penny they can bleed out of it until the point in which they decide to just leave it on the side of the road to wither & die.

I don’t dislike that Paramount decided to go back & revisit The Original Series, and it isn’t really even the actors that bother me. This issues that I have with the film are that I felt that the film was somewhat shallow & unbelievable, nor did I see that it held true to the same ideals that Gene Roddenberry envisioned in Star Trek.

I dislike the liberties that they took with the franchise. My list of annoyances with the film include Vulcan being destroyed, the Spock/Uhura relationship, the “we are in a new timeline now” thing to justify those changes, bad CGI, goofy cornball comedy i.e. Kirk’s hands & lips swelling up making him look like a cartoon character, Scotty getting stuck inside of a water pipe & being bounced around as if he were in a pinball machine, and the superfluous scene of Kirk getting it on with Uhura’s roommate (I am not a prude, but I don’t feel that this scene added anything to the film, and was just a cheap way to include scantly clad bodies just for sex appeal).

I would have been fine with them telling new stories about Kirk & his crew that didn’t conflict with everything that was already established. Also I would have been fine with stories about either Captain Pike & his crew, or Captain April & his crew.

16. Quinton O'Connor

It's insulting that you'd have preferred the film performed dreadfully and effectively killed Trek's chances at any sort of non-lit revival in the next 15 years.

17. Quinton O'Connor

This isn't about what you specifically want, Tidus. This is about what people in general want. Oftentimes those two don't always intersect. It's happened to me before and I'm sure it's happened to you before, too.

So if nuTrek isn't for you then back away from it. Don't waste your life talking about how insulted you are by it -- it's been over two years since the eleventh film premiered, surely you've said everything there is to say on it by now?

Why don't you stay calm, watch the old Trek you knew and loved and play FFX HD when it comes out. That is where your user name is from, right?

ETA: And if I'm correct and that's where your user name is from then allow me to paint you a colorful metaphor -- I thought FFX-2 was the most offensive sequel I've ever gone near. AbramsTrek may not be a sequel but it's clearly a relevant connection because you're reacting similarly to how I did with X-2. So what did I do? I vented a while and then just ignored the game. I now play FFX every two years or so and never touch X-2. For me, it didn't happen. Easy peasy.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It pleases me, and I've been a Trek fan since 1966. :cool:

BTW, what Trek was "prior to his hijacking it" was...canceled.

Outvoted at the box office by those of us who still enjoy it, I'm afraid.

19. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 Lieutenant Commander

I am entitled to my opinion on the film. Sorry that you cannot handle & accept a dissenting view about the "Abrams Trek" universe. Last time I checked I lived in a free country where freedom of speech is still alive. I will speak my mind anytime I want regardless of if certain people like it or not. You don’t have the monopoly on pro “Abrams Trek” being the only point of view allowed. Get over yourself :ouch:.

Never did I say that I wanted J.J. Abrams to fail in making a new film. Lets see what I really said shall we?

Hmmmmm, now that doesn’t sound like I wanted the film to fail. I said that instead of making it shallow he should have respected what was already established in Star Trek instead of conflicting with everything that was already established.

Childish attacks from a childish person are my feeling about your attacks upon me. :guffaw:

20. Quinton O'Connor

Oh, we're playing the personal attacks card? I was trying to be civil. Fine, be miserable.