Chakuun or no Chakuun in Trek books?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Ain Jalut, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Do you want some Chakuun? Where?

1. No Chakuun in Trek outside of what we have

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. I would like to see them in NuTrek books or comics

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I would like to see some more of them in the old universe

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Let's see them in a Nutrek movie or an upcoming Nutrek tv show

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Anybody else wants to see more of these guys?

I had not read the whole Vanguard yet but as far as i know they were not mentioned.

What about in Nutrek?

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Chakuun

They could use some better looking ships but i think they are awesome.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No, not for me. I like the novelverse Tholian set up just the way it is...

3. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Nah. I'm content to let the comics be the comics and the novels be the novels for the most part. Little nods and moments of continuity sharing are cool but even for a continuity junkie like myself there comes a point where enough is enough.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing more Chakuun. I liked them in the comics and including them in future works would be cool with me.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's a rather obscure race to pluck from the air to feature in a poll.

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't IAMD's reveal of Tholian biology make the Chakuun (or a similar slave race) more likely to show up? We are talking about a race that needs an extreme (by our standards) environment to live. How are they supposed to deal with all the humanoid species that inhabit the galaxy, especially the ones that squat on M class planets in Tholian space? Blow them to bits? (To be fair, that does sound like it would fit into their pattern of behavior)

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In principle, I wouldn't be against including the Chakuun. But it seems that ship may already have sailed, since it would be hard to explain their complete absence from Vanguard and the Typhon Pact narrative. Also, the story that features them also depicts a version of Pike's father that's irreconcilable with Burning Dreams, and I think BD is considered part of the main novel continuity.

Of course, there are some parts of Early Voyages that have been referenced in the novelverse. Notably, Chief Engineer Moves-With-Burning-Grace is part of the Lovell crew in SCE and Vanguard -- and is actually in Burning Dreams.

8. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

According to EV they are a biggger deal I don't see why i cannot talk about anything obscure as long as it atracts reasonable traffic.

9. Therin of Andor

You can talk about any aliens you like. I was just a bit puzzled why you zeroed in on the Chakuun, and even included a poll. I have read all the comics and this race didn't even register with me until I clicked on the link to Memory Beta.

Since the novelists have already developed the Tholians in new directions, and more recently than "Early Voyages", the Chakuun probably have as much chance of making an appearance in the novels as Thralen the Theskian ("Metamorphosis") meeting up with the Andorians to help resolve their reproductive crisis. Or blind Thala the Andorian ("The Eyes of the Beholders") going in search of the Aenar - or for her adoptive mother, Dr Selar.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I confess: I have no idea who the Chakuum are.

(At first, I thought maybe it was some odd nickname for Chakotay I had never encountered before.)

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Chakuun were introduced in issues #10-11 of Marvel's Pike-era Early Voyages comic as "shock troops of the Tholians" -- a subject race that had become the Tholians' military elite and front-line troops, a bit like the Jem'Hadar vis-a-vis the Dominion. They looked like insectoid centaurs (or centauroid insects).

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did enjoy the comics with them, but at this point things have moved so far away from them that I don't really see any way to suddenly drop them in and keep things consistent with both earlier novelverse appearances by the Tholians and Early Voyages. They are also way to obscure for them to pop in any Abramsverse stuff IMO. Honestly, if they were going to incorporate stuff from the Prime books and/or comics into the Abramsverse, both on screen or on the page, there is a whole huge list of things I would expect to see before the Chakuun.

13. Therin of Andor

Actually, me too!

He is more commonly known as Chuckles on some sites, which is hilarious.

14. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Do you mean Chakuun isn't a Breakfast Cereal? Nuts!

15. Therin of Andor

Lucky Chakuuns - with marshmallows.

16. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love to see them, and just about anything else from Early Voyages. Brilliant series, I'd be ludicrously happy to see it picked up again in comics or prose.

Has anything from Burning Dreams been picked up by other books? If not it would be easy enough to ignore one book in favour of the comics continuity, if anyone ever did want to do Pike stories based on the Early Voyages characters.

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the Chakuun. Given that the Tholians need pretty specific environment conditions to survive, then they would need an elite vanguard of troops to impose their will on other worlds. It was also pretty interesting that they were non-humanoid.

18. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

A Sheliak fighting a Chakuun would be an awesome sight.

19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I've read the Chakuun article on Memory Beta already some while ago and finally got my hands on the EV omnibus earlier this year.

Imho, there's no major continuity reason against including them. After all, the Tholians may have ditched them soon after the 2250s, or they may have suffered a cultural catastrophe - both possible explanations for their absence ever since. :vulcan:

I'm always for a tighter continuity. Comics, screen, novels - I tend to mentally stick them together, with rough patches if necessary. For example, as long as nobody mentions Pike's family history in detail - which is unlikely anyway because Pike's father and the Chakuun have nothing to do with one another except from being from EV - they could be eased into the continuity.

20. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the idea of the Chakuun, but think that they`re not essential and may well be irreconcilable with the novelverse depiction of the Tholians. Certainly serious work would need to be done to explain their absence from Vanguard on.