Is Watching Voyager Needed For The Timeline?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by chrisalkhashti, May 5, 2011.

1. chrisalkhashti

chrisalkhashti Cadet Newbie

Hello, I am a new Trekkie that just started watching the entire series in Jan. It was my new years resoulation to watch all Star Treks by the end of the year. So far i have finished TOS, TNG, the first 3 seasons of DS9 and the first 8 movies.

The question i have is do I need to watch Voyager as part of the time line or is it on its own? i kinda like it but its not as good as the rest i have seen so far. and i would rather put it off till last if its possible but at the same time i dont want to miss anything in the time line.

any help would be great. thanks.

2. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

It's not really needed because it's in the Delta Quadrant and not really relevant to things that happen in DS9, whch was on at the same time.

It's still an OK watch though.

3. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It helps to watch it in line with DS9 to understand Voyager, but not to understand the rest of Trek. Does that make sense?

I think the best way to watch Trek is to watch them in broadcast order. (However, this is coming from the person who watched in this order: TOS, ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY with the movies mostly all between Enterprise and TNG.)

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

If you've seen 9 of the films, you should see Voyager if not for other reason but because it has stories that are worth seeing much more than half of those films. Although, unfortunately, like all the other Star Trek series the good episodes begin somewhere after the second season, but you can always find ratings online and skip the bad ones. Some of them are important for the Voyager timeline, but you can watch them lazily over supper or something.

Everything except Nemesis takes place before Voyager in a sense, and I regret watching Nemesis, so it has no relation to the timeline. Note that things shot after Voyager might have references to concepts invented in Voyager even though they are earlier on the timeline, but I don't think that's something anyone should worry about.

5. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Well, I like the show, so of course I'd say "watch it!" ;)

But, honestly... it doesn't have much bearing on the TV timeline (the books and Star Trek Online timelines do depend a ton on the events of VOY, though.) A few developments happen in the AQ, but nothing important.

Well, uh, okay, the development in the last episode was kind of extremely significant. And that one time they saved the galaxy. But other than those, no. ;)

If you don't like it and are just watching so you don't miss anything, you can probably skip it.

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Why the concern with the timeline? Technically, TNG, DS9 and Voyager all saw multiple timelines....

7. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not necessary to really watch Voyager to understand any other Trek, but I say watch them in broadcast order anyway. If you haven't seen ENT yet, it's too late to watch them in chronological order of timeline, so I say just follow through with chronological order of airing.

8. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you like Trek, you should give it a shot. It's another 7 seasons of Trek you haven't seen yet.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager references TNG and the movies The Undiscovered Country and First Contact. Characters from Next Gen keep cropping up. So you probably want to see those first.

But, that said, there really isn't a massive Trek timeline. Although it crosses over occasionally, Trek isn't one big epic saga. It's a load of (often discontinuous/conflicting) stories set in the same ficticious universe.

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

We get to see a borg baby, two Janeway/Paris salmander babies, two human/alien hybrid babies, and a Cardie/alien baby. You can't beat that!

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is how it works emotionally.

If you watch the Voyager and DS9 side by side like how it aired, one is usually better than the other. Sometimes the Voyager is better than the DS9, and when that happens, the scales fall from your eyes and you have to admit that we in this forum might have a leg to stand on.

Of course that's really difficult to accomplish without two AV rigs or wrist cramps.

And back when all this was relevant, in my country the new Voyager and New DS9 which they were playing back to back, advertised as BRAND NEW were sometimes 2 years out of sync.

12. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

The timeline of Trek doesn't really matter very much - it's mostly irrelevant - for any Trek series.

New Trek fans often ask things like "which order should I watch Trek in?", but the writers did not take that question seriously while they were making the shows. The writers put virtually no continuity, or world-shaping events, between most Trek episodes, and even less between series. There might be a few exceptions to that, but not enough to make an important difference in terms of what series to watch, or what order to watch in.

Most of the "references" to other Trek episodes are throwaway one-line minutiae.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would say generally not, without saying too much VOY only contains a few referrances to events in DSN in the later seasons.