Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I just realized that "Smallville" left us with a tease

7 years and Lois and Clark still haven't been married.

Thank goodness they didn't have to go 7 seasons longer

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

they would've retitled the series either superman or meteropolis. what could we have expected to see?

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Quoting fail is fail.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hey, discussing series finale here, it is gone.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

So I finally got a chance to see this. I gave it a blur, I just couldn't give it Superman because well, we got ripped off. I will say, I liked this finale a lot, it reminded me of season 3 or 4 a lot. We got to see Lionel one more time bieng evil, I thought it was great. Tess got a good end, but it could have been better. I feel bad for Tess. I loved the conversations that Clark had with Johnathan, Lois, Martha, Lex, Oliver, all conversations were good. The conversation with Lex reminded me a lot of the earlier seasons, but also including seasons 5-7, so it was truly FrankenLex. I liked the fight with Clark and Oliver, but it was a little short.

So, to the things I didn't like. Obviously the Darksied fight was shorter than the Doomsday fight, very disapointing, but I expected this. The endin scene left us hanging, i'm sorry but I thought this was the Series finale not the season finale. This would have been good to lead into a new Metropolis show, but my god, even in the finale they tease us? Do they care about us at all? The conversation with Jor-El/Johnathan in the Fortress was good, but it seemed like they were talking to the audience, "remember Smallville" like they are trying to hypnotize us. Putting on the suit was about as lame as it gets. I mean come on, they gave us 30 fucking seconds of Superman, my god! I expected it, but still, now I know how Count Dukoo felt when Anikan chopped his head off. Chloe, well i'm not sure if her and Oliver are married, but if they are, that does not jive with the comics. I'm not a big fan of Chloe, so I really don't care, I am glad they didn't kill her off. Those are my complaints.

Overall, I did think it was good. I am not satified how it took all season long to get to this point, they could have done a few things early on. Like others have pointed out, he should have become Superman or at least learned to fly oh about five seasons ago. On that note, he didn't really "learn" to fly, but it was cool how it happened. I wish they would have taken the oprotunity to showcase all of his abilities. The wedding stuff was typical, they could have cut the crap and gave more time to fighting Darksied. Of course pleasing fans is too hard for them and disrupting weddings is what they live for. In my final thoughts, is it possible to be disapointed and yet satisfied at the same time? This felt like a really good season finale and an above average series finale. Still nothing is as disapointing as TATVS. It will be hard to top the suckiness of that one.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still baffled as to why people continue to think the series finale would be different than any other episode on the show. This has been their modus operandi since the pilot, Brian and Kelly have kept the formulaic style that Miles and Gough instituted. There were surface changes only. Essentially the series finale was no different than any of the previous seasons. I agree that they treated it like a season finale, but again...that wasn't a surprise. This whole season should have been something epic and special but because the producers only cater to a certain faction of the fandom of this show the rest of us get screwed.

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Agreed 100%, I wasjust holding out on a little bit of hope that they would pull out all stops, but it actually was what I expected, but not what I wanted. It seemed like there was still a hint of another season. Smallville is not the only show that does this though, a lot of shows stick with the formula in the end and don't go full out in the end. How many really good series finale's have there been. Even really good shows like Cheers or Sienfield for example sort of fall flat in the end. Look at Quantum Leap, there was potential to make a really epic ending, instead we got ripped off completely.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That is a little unfair in QL case considering the show was canceled. The last episode wasn't intended to be the series finale, iirc.

10. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Probably because the entire series was one big promise of a decent payout in the end. It was supposed to be the story of Clark Kent growing and becoming Superman. We didn't even get to hear the name of Superman in the end.

The show teased the audience until the bitter end and didn't give anything close to a payoff after ten years of said teasing. That's what pissed people off.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Perhaps, but my point still remains. I think with QL they had enough of a warning to at least bring Sam home.

12. Broccoli

As I pointed out earlier, yes, we did.

I was under the impression that they didn't. The episode was already finished when they learned of the cancellation. However, they did have enough time to slap a title graphic on at the end saying that Sam never made it home.

13. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

If it needs to be pointed out, no, we didn't.

14. Broccoli

Your comment doesn't even make sense here. :lol:

For all the faults of the finale, and there are many, one that isn't is that Chloe called him "Superman" quite clearly towards the end.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I heard it. I know I did.

16. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Let me clear it up for you then. A hushed whisper to her son about a comic book character doesn't count as calling Clark Kent "Superman." Especially when he wasn't even in the scene.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was seven years later!

We have no proof that the name "Superman" wasn't adopted weeks, months or years after the conclusion of "Finale" since it would have taken forever to funnel the Blur's celebrity into this new persona.

Besides, wouldn't the name be soiled a little after "Superboy's" rampage back in the season one or two?

18. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Even if they would have changed it to "Sam eventually made it back home." I would have been happy. The whole entire run of the show we heard that Sam was hoping that his next leap would be the leap home, then they say he didn't do that, it broke my heart. I was really disapointed. TATVS takes the cake for me though. I can forgive all of the other shitty endings, but TATVS I can't forgive.

19. Broccoli

Which wasn't your original complaint. You said that the name of "Superman" wasn't said at all in the episode. I called you on that claim and proved it was. You misrepresented your point when first posting it. It wasn't so much that they didn't say "Superman", but that they didn't do it the way you wanted it.

I see what you mean. I understand you can be disappointed if you were hoping he'd get home in the end. I kind of like it, though, that Sam was still out there helping people.

TATV is...it's not a bad episode in itself. Just a terrible series finale. I appreciate what Berman and Co. were trying to do; it just didn't work.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Since the hiatus thread is gone...I will post this here...some of you might be interested. ;)

http://www.kryptonsite.com/news.htm

And if you didn't know what the box-set included before...
    :)