DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My justification for that entire thing...

Miracle Man, Scott Free, is Darkseid's son, and Oberon is Scott's best friend.

Potsy and Howard Cunningham.

I read 46 issues of Legion, legion lost and Legion Secret origin today.

Legion Lost was fantastic (to a point).

Legion of Super heores did however need to be cancelled.

Although... Once Levitz embraced the cancellation he WENT TO TOWN.

Sunboy decapitated.

Dude where's you head?

It's been mashed into a bag of jelly by a falling ceiling on a crashing starship, hasn't it?

Yes, yes it has.

TTFN head.

Everyone is just moping around saying goodbye to this headless corpse still sitting on the captains chair of a wrecked spaceship.

And the bad guy in the final battle... Emerald Empress has the upper hand on Saturn Girl... 4 legionaries have bought the farm in the last four issues, and there's one issue left in the series, and so the bad guy says this without bleeping or sensorship to Lightning Lad...

"I hope she kills your bitch slowly."

!!??!!??

The first 16 issues were puppies, rainbows, unicorns and candy canes.

####.

It's like Levitz is trying to get p/re/cancelled a couple issues early by being ####ing disgusting.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

From your description Guy, it sounds like if the Legion do return, that we may get some kind of New 52 reboot version of them. It saddens me what happened to this version under Levitz who is of course known for some great Legion stories back in the day. Ever since he took over though from Johns pre-relaunch though...just so erratic. I'm guessing fans have just had enough and that is one of the reasons why sales have gone down?

3. Guy Gardener

There's one issue left.

Levitz has left the building.

Giffen is coplotting and doing the pencils, so it may even be leading into JLA 3000, similar to how DeMattias killed off Justice League Detroit before Giffen and Demattias kicked off the International Team.

Taking the wrecking ball to all this has to be SUCH FUN!

Reboot my book?

#### YOU!

You can reboot a ####ing smoking hole.

4. Admiral_Young

^ I share the sentiment...I've loved this incarnation, so I hope it is brought back again under a different writer, but sadly I don't think that will be the case. I'll actually be surprised if it is. I knew the last issue was this month, but wasn't sure when, I may break down and get it. LONG LIVE THE LEGION! :)

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Get someone who hasn't been doing the Legion since the 80s.

6. Guy Gardener

I remember seeing a sketch comedy show that parodied the Bradey Bunch quite some time ago... "Mom, we're a bunch of healthy, fun loving teenagers who are not related to one another by blood forced to live under the same roof, if we weren't having orgies there would be something wrong with us."

What is the 30th century equivalent of a key party?

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So I stopped reading Green Arrow after the second issue but my sub was paid up through issue 11 so I've had them sitting in a box for a while. I finally decided to give them a go and I do not regret my decision to drop it at all. It must be one of the lamest comics I've read in quite some time.

8. Hound of UIster

The Nocenti issues were probably the worst. It has improved remarkably since Lemire became the writer.

9. Admiral_Young

Action Comics was kind of meh. It did feature the conclusion of the World of Krypton back up story which introduced Zod and set up his villains month issue next month. I really enjoyed the World of Krypton stories.

10. Savage Dragon

I wasn't impressed by the uneven art in this month's Action Comics. Some of the expressions on Superman's face were way too cartoonish.

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah...I noticed Rocafort wasn't on art this month, Tyler somthing or other was on guest art duties (at least I hope it was guest art duties) wasn't fond of the style at all. The Pax Galactica actually seemed interesting. Obviously a riff on "Battlestar Galactica" and I'm guessing the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard?

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So a riff on a riff, since the Imperial Guard is a riff on the Legion of Super-Heroes? :p

13. Guy Gardener

"Pax Romana" was quite big at one time.

14. Admiral_Young

15. Admiral_Young

16. Hound of UIster

DC must have saw the recent numbers if they are crossing all these non-Bat books with Year Zero.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

After being burned on Death of the Family and Wrath of the First Lantern I am going to wait until it seems like there is actually content relative to the story before buying tie-ins. H'el on Earth was a pretty legitimate crossover, as was the Rotworld story in Swamp Thing/Animal Man, but many others in the new 52 have not.

18. Savage Dragon

I won't be buying any of the tie-ins. I got along just fine with Night of the Owls and Death of the Family without them.

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember when "Zero Year" was contained in one title, as though it were yesterday. Because it basically was yesterday. Dick Grayson as vigilante before being Robin. Stop grasping those straws. I only have a few straws left.

Also: nobody is reading Demon Knights anymore, but for those reading Wonder Woman and wondering if Hephaestus lied to Diana about what Amazons do after "mating"? Exoristos essentially confirms it in a late issue in Venditti's run.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'll buy the tie ins that take place in the titles I buy.