Well, THIS makes me feel old...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, May 10, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Do you still have the movie, and if so, can you post it?

For me, I felt old when I went to my first anime convention back in 2002; I was in my thirties. When I saw how old all of the attendees were, I felt all of my 35 years hit me like a brick; I'm the old man now (all of the attendees were teenagers.) It was an unsettling experience.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't escape knowing your old when you see Chevy Chase showing up on Community looking like Dick Cheney

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'd like some of what you are smoking...

[​IMG]

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's called a pack of Fuzzy Memory, complete with filters.

It slims down the amount of recall I have. If I stop smoking it, then the recall starts fattening up and widening out.

Surgeon's Warning: Fuzzy Memory can be hazardous to your healthy remembering of small things and trivia.

The patch is a pen and paper. It aids your recall and you can still get your Fuzzy Memory fix to satiate any cravings for it.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do but alas I've never been very lucky in getting it transferred to digital. Video capture cards hate me apparently and even third generation Macrovision from the 80's stops DVD recorders. I'll figure it out one day...

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. I thought I was the only one to see that resemblance

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They'd be indistinguishable if Cheney knew how to smile

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At this point does Chase?

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Five years ago, when visiting my hometown, I drove past my high school on a Friday night and saw the stadium lights on. The thought struck me that the kids on that field hadn't been born yet when I'd gone to that school. Some of them may conceivably have been the children of the kids that I'd gone to that school with.

Back to pop culture, in the spirit of the original post...they've got the Fonz selling reverse mortgages to seniors on TV....

10. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm 35 and I've been feeling old since about 1999/2000, and I was only in my early 20s at the time. People thought I was nuts for feeling old, but I remember feeling like a geezer at the thought of "80s dress up days" at schools and workplaces. I wasn't even that much removed from teenage life back then, but I already started to feel old and alienated from the youth culture.

The 90s going old, hell it was expected. I remember telling myself in the early 2000s that it will really be bad when the 90s go old, the 80s were one thing, but the 90s, that's when I knew it would be terrible for people around my age. But I know kids who don't even know jack about 2002.

My nephew was watching Batman and Robin from 1997 (he was born in 1997) and he asked me if the movie was considered stupid "back in those days". I had to tell him that YES we all thought of Batman and Robin was totally stupid movie in 1997. But he actually thought the public must have loved it and thought the movie super cool but then the movie just grew stupider because it's 15-16 years older.

11. The Old Mixer

Well, there's hope for the newer generation if they know that Batman & Robin was crap....

There are people in college and the military who were born when Bill Clinton was president. I voted for him twice.

I was born when Nixon was president. I was born...in the sixties! Which isn't bad...having been born in late '69, I always felt sorry for my classmates who were born in the seventies.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm not far behind you. I was born in early 1970 (April 17, to be exact) Also when Nixon was president, and I voted for Clinton both times too.

The only thing I disagree with is your asessment of Batman & Robin. Don't get me wrong, I still think it was the worst of the first four films, but the passage of sixteen years HAS mellowed my disklike of it somewhat.

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too, caught last two weeks of the '60s.

14. The Old Mixer

^Eight weeks here. It really is true...if you can remember the sixties, you weren't there.

Had to look it up, but you were born the day Apollo 13 got back to Earth...and exactly a week after Paul announced that he was leaving the Beatles. April 17 was also the day that his McCartney solo album was released in the UK.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Punks. I was born when Eisenhower was president.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto.

You know what really makes you feel old, when people who grew up in eighties or later start feeling old . . . . :)

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  17. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's that he actually asked such a question. Was this movie thought of as bad in those days too? I was floored, then I realized oh yeah, he was born in 1997, so to him it is "those days". But in his mind when he watched "Batman and Robin", he actually was confused to if this was perhaps a well recieved, cool movie in 1997 but then just grew into complete shit because it got older.

I felt like an old man straightening out how things where in the late 1990s to a teenager. Sometimes I even have to explain the early 2000s to some younger teenagers. Don't even get me started on how they view the 80s and earlier 1990s, might as well be the 1880s to them. But I guess I had the same attitudes about stuff I considered "before my time" as well, it just sucks when you're on the older end of it. It was a lot more fun when I was the young punk asking people older then me about the old days and assuming anyone significantly older then me had no taste.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, to a lot of young people, all that old-timey stuff is the same and they honestly can't distinguish between the 18th or the 19th Centuries, or the 1930s or the 1950s. It's all one big historical blur . . .

Just last week, I was reading an article that casually referred to the Johnny Weissmuller TARZAN movies as "the 1950s Tarzan serials" and I've seen similar references to "1950s Mummy movies with Bela Lugosi" and such, 'cause apparently the 30s, the 40s, and the 50s were one and the same . . . as were Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi!

Even worse, a few years back I was talking to a couple of smart high school kids who, for the life of them, didn't have a clue what century Benjamin Franklin lived in and didn't seem to grasp why this appalled me. Their attitude seemed to be, why would anyone need to know that anyway? It was, like, five hundred years ago, right?

And, again, these were smart, college-bound teens . . . who probably know more about computers and technology than I ever will.

(To be fair, they in turn were appalled that I didn't own a smartphone and had never texted anyone in my life. "Never?" they asked in tones of shocked disbelief, as though I had just admitted to not knowing how to read . . . .)

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody EVER gets that. I always have to point it out. Not even my mom knew it.

Funny story: when we saw the movie together in 1995, I expected my mom to remark on it, but she didn't, and when I pointed it out to her, she said, "Hey, cut me some slack, I had more important things on my mind that day than what NASA was doing!"

:lol:

20. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

My father turns 70 next week and it's really making ME feel old. I'm used to thinking of my parents as middle-aged. My very definition of middle age has always been whatever age my parents currently are.

But 70 suddenly seems much much older than 69. It makes me realize that in a few years I'll be crossing into my 40s. Then I'LL be middle-aged. Ouch.