Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by milojthatch, Jan 18, 2014.

1. milojthatch

milojthatch Lieutenant Red Shirt

(NOTE: I hope this is the right section to talk about The Animated Series as from what I can tell it doesn't have a section of its own.)

While I'm excited about the idea of a Blu-ray Remastered release for both Deep Space Nine and Voyager, I think what I actually want to see the most is something for The Animated Series!

The question is, if they did such a project, what would they do? Re-animated the whole show? Bring in new voice actors for the extras Jimmy Doohan and Majel Barrett did? Or maybe just a simple color correction job? It would be nice to see certain things that were colored pink to be changed. :bolian:

2. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I actually started a project like this a few years ago. But then life got in the way.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Re: Who wants to see a TAS RemasTered project?

I assume you meant "master" and not "maser"

Anyway, you're making the common error of conflating "revisionism" with "remastering". Remastering is making a new print/video of a film/show which has been degraded or had poor quality copies made in the past. Re-animating, changing voices, etc., is NOT remastering.

And as to doing what you suggest: No. Not interested.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, count me out too. TAS was the least popular of all the Trek series. Why would CBS bother to get new voice actors or new animators for it? Wouldn't it be more feasible to just make a new animated series if you're going to do that?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to see a full-out balls-to-the-wall CGI remake of TAS.

They wouldn't even have to re-record any voice tracks or sound effects. Just keep all existing audio, but create new video.

Although, it should be noted that TAS is releasable on Blu-Ray right now.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thirded. Not interested. Not at all.

We've had this discussion before, too, at least twice.

In those discussions, there were pretty clear indications that it would be problematic to agree sensibly on what constitutes errors in animation. There are some obvious snafus, such as misaligned cels, but just where to draw the line in how far to go "fixing" things would be a real problem.

It's also worth noting that the DVD release was botched (though, admittedly and fortunately, in only a relatively minor way) by "fixing" something that wasn't wrong in the first place (I'm thinking of the originally red color of the pocket universe in "The Time Trap").

For those reasons among others, I'm not interesting in anything beyond preserving what it was originally. It is what it is. It was what it was.

7. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

The only way this could REALLY work would be to obtain the "voices only" track from Filmation, use the now released original music, and THEN have your "balls to the wall" animation with it. That is the only approach that would interest me (as an animator)
    :)

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What release of the original music? There's been no release of the TAS music, AFAIK.

9. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If anything is to be done, this please. But, like the TOS Blu Rays, the original versions should be included to respect the original artists and animators, or my wallet stays shut :p

I suppose the best thing would be an all new animated TOS set towards the end of the FYM, but this ain't happening while the movies are being made.

10. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No interest whatsoever. TAS is simply an oddity to me.

11. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I wholeheartedly agree. :techman: Before anyone gets me wrong I do like TAS in its existing form and even think that it better reflects some of the original Roddenberry concepts than TOS.

But if it is the storytelling which matters (IMHO, it does) then it's important to make it palatable for a new generation of viewers that already like TOS, but will have a hard time getting over the animation style (which essentially is just the packing, but it is the content that matters).

If the animation style and repetitive TAS music distracts new viewers from enjoying TAS, then remaster it by all means. Personally I'd really love to see it. :)

Bob

12. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I think he means TOS music--re-scoring the TAS episodes with TOS musical cues. (That would interesting; TOS music is almost a Trek character all by itself.)

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In many respects TAS is the "lost" series since it's not uncommon to encounter people who never knew of its existence. It came along with a scant twenty-two episodes and then practically disappeared for the most part afterward except for die-hard fans.

I'm fine with cleaning up the original prints, but anything more than that not so much. My criticisms of TAS go beyond what's actually on the screen. Many of the stories really needed to be fleshed out more and you can't do that unless you're basically starting from scratch, and if you're starting from scratch then you should just make an entirely new show rather than remake an old one.

It is what it is even without the things we'd like to have seen. I feel much the same as I did with TOS in that I feel TOS-R went too far. We are already seeing new sequences of TOS-R being used as reference material about TOS. In a recent special called The Truth Behind Star Trek they were referencing when GR finally got the show on the air, and yet they were using TOS-R footage rather than the original footage. I found that truly misleading because that certainly isn't what viewers saw in 1966-69 and for decades of reruns.

No, clean up the prints but leave TAS alone.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see TAS remastered (in the actual sense of that word) and to have more of the writers record commentaries for the episodes they wrote. But a "special edition" version? No thanks. That's not going to resolve the show's fundamental problems, anyways (flimsy stories and weak voice acting).

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Count me as one that would be interested in the series being updated with modern animation. I'd even like to see an episode re-voiced by the actors involved with the current films. *ducks*

But I would also want the original unaltered episodes included on any release.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

TAS is fine as it is. The truth is, it's mostly awful (even though I still love it!) and no amount of extra frames of animation or 3D CGI will fix that. Put the effort into a new animated series instead.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Suffice to say I'd go ballistic over this.

18. BillJ

Why? What point would it actually serve? Doing something along those lines doesn't somehow overwrite the original (which I love). Just something fun to experiment with.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If you can't see how offensive that would be then I can't help you. It's one thing to remake a work as in making a new version, but doing something revisionist to the actual original work is insulting and disrespectful to the original creators.

I can appreciate TNG-R because the end result is something that looks like it could have looked under the best of circumstances. TOS-R doesn't look like anything TOS could have done even under the best of circumstances.

So revisioning the original TAS would piss me off.

20. BillJ

With new animation and new voice work, it would be its own thing. Honestly, I can't think of a higher compliment to someone's work than wanting to remake it for new audiences to consume. I never understood the desire to treat a work as some religious relic that can never be changed/updated. New generations are more likely to explore an older work through newer re workings than locking the originals away.