Netflix VS HuluPlus...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

This article suggests Amazon's "exclusive" window is pretty short.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Netflix doesn't have any of the Stargate series, just the movie and the 2 dvd movies.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

They used to have all of the Stargate shows, IIRC. I know they at least had SG-1; that was how I finally watched through the whole show for the first time.

4. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have both and while we use Netflix significantly more than Hulu, I have found that Hulu has some more anime selections than Netflix and a few other "niche" programs that Netflix doesn't. Netflix is still superior IMHO.

5. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

But with separate proxy service you can check out Netflixes from other areas. For example Nordic Netflix has SG-1 & Atlantis.

Netflix limited to one area can be kind of limited, but with separate proxy service you get Netflixes from all areas and much more to watch. One Netflix account works in all areas.

6. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I subscribe to both. They each have their pros that the other doesn't offer. Netflix definitely has a way bigger library. No commercials. And is probably available on most devices you can think of.

Hulu Plus has current TV shows, which go up only a day after air. The reason I subscribe to it is so I can watch the shows on my 50" LED. I don't have cable because it would be a complete waste of money for me as I rarely watch anything. In the rare situation where I want to watch a show that isn't offered on Hulu Plus I just buy a season pass on Amazon. Yes, there are commercials on Hulu Plus, but they're brief. Typical commercial breaks have only 3 fifteen second ads. The show is back in under a minute.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon Prime > Netflix > Hulu

Amazon Prime is the best bet in my opinion, but that's personal preference of them hitting my card only once a year and the free shipping as much as I buy from Amazon. If that doesn't factor in, Netflix is definitely good and the only reason I dropped them for Amazon was the shipping bonus. Hulu... their website isn't user friendly and I refuse to pay to watch commercials on principle.

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And how do you do that??? Inquiring minds would love to know!

9. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dropped Netflix a few years back when they split their streaming and disc service and picked up Amazon Prime, $79.00 a year opposed to $96.00 plus the 2 day shipping on 95% of the stuff I buy, I'm a gamer so I get most of my games from them,tax free BTW.
    They also offer up something on the Kindle books side for free with Prime but I don't use that part of the service so I'm not sure what all it entails.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Also Prime starting next year will be delivering packages on Sundays for most of the USA, and starting this holiday season for LA and NYC.

11. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Recently got a Kindle Fire, so I got a free trial of Amazon Prime and... I was not impressed. For the simple fact that not all the video (tv, movies) on there is included with such. A lot is; but some they still want you to pay $1-2.99 an episode. Which... yeah, no. Needless to say after trying it I won't be dumping the $80 a year for it. The free shipping is nice, but if I spend enough I can get that sans prime anyway. LOL.

Netflix, meanwhile, has become where I spend 80% of my TV viewing time. Love it. HuluPlus; bleh. I hate their interface (oddly enough Amazon's is like that on TV too).

Ah well! Netflix is king. Yay. :)

12. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good to know about Amazon Prime. I had just assumed that once you paid the $79 that all the shows and movies were included.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he's confusing shows/videos that are Prime eligible and those that aren't.

Amazon has pretty much anything you could think of in their streaming library--basically anything you could also buy the dvd/bluray for. But, like Netflix, there are legal/licensing limitations on what they can provide for free.

Netflix chooses to omit all those videos from their streaming library. Amazon lets you pay for them if you want to watch them anyway. And, with a Prime account, the pay videos are still cheaper than you're going to find them for anywhere else.

For example, the day the STiD was out for the early online release, I got it right at midnight for $12.

Non the less, from just the shipping, the discounts, and the like the $80/year almost pays for itself before even taking the prime videos into account.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus with Prime they give you discounts if you are a mother and a student. And it's easy to fake a student account.

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Heck, they have all the Trek series on Amazon Prime and the first ten movies too. They don't have TAS but CBS has that.

16. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

There are two separate Amazon services-the Amazon Video Store and the Amazon Prime Instant streaming service. The streaming service comes as part of the yearly Prime membership. The Video Store is where pay per view rentals and digital movie downloads are sold. It would be nice for consumers if they separated the two to avoid confusion, but obviously, they want people to get excited over seeing a ''new out on dvd'' title listed and think it can b watched as part of the subscription, only to find that it'll cost extra.

Most of the material that comes with Prime are movies that have been or currently are available on Netflix. I've noticed that each major studio seems to allocate a selection of their older content that is made available for sale to streaming services, and these titles are moved back and forth between the services in cycles. And the Epix Pay TV Channel sells a package of movies they have under license to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Redbox' streaming outfit.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

To add... I have the online trifecta (Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon). for TNG:

Netflix - NO episodes in HD
    Huluplus - First 2 seasons only in HD
    Amazon - FOUR seasons in HD!! (probably the 5th in a couple months)

All have Tos in HD. So, if you looking to check out TNG in HD and cant buy the disks, use Amazon.

18. CorporalClegg

To note, Amazon doesn't have all of season four in HD yet. At least it didn't a couple of days ago.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I was actually wondering about that. I give it less than a year, and Netflix will have the HD episodes of TNG. :D

20. CorporalClegg

I hope so. Netflix's interface is better, especially on PCs.