X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tease. 150 mil is decent. Certainly realistic in this market. Yes I am biased to First Class, but what if The Wolverine makes as much money as Origins Wolverine yet is as critically and fan maligned as OW? Won't that seriously undo any good refreshing strides First Class has made? Won't all the people put in the door by First Class or the folks so tired of Wolverine be put off by the franchise's arbitrarily going back to him? Why should they do so? Because they can? To fix the mistakes of Origins? Because it will feasibly make money either way? I think First Class did both correct the errors of Wolverine so to speak and did still make money.

I know everyone is hoping for an X4 and I would rather see that than another Wolverine, but the longer time goes on, I think the odds are against X4. Ages, prices. What will the economy be like then? I think there has to be some realistic too lateness with 4. That would be like saying we're going to do some post Return of the Jedi films now. Sadly, not possible- again as I would much rather have had those than Episodes I-III. They should have been 1 three hour movie and First Class should have been two films.

However, necessity is the mother of invention, so with films being forced to be more creative with less money, maybe something good can happen. Like, they write a decent story or something, that is one the cheapest yet priceless things one can come by!

I have to finish She-Ra on the Instant Watch soon and get to the X-Men cartoon. As I recall, their Dark Phoenix story was better than The Last Stand! ;p

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think the odds are against "X4" at all. The fact that it continues to be in play and that Bryan Singer has stated his interest to direct another X-Men film will continue to keep it of interest at Fox. Like I said the critical success of "X-Men: First Class" I think has breathed new life into the franchise in general. Hopefully this will mean Fox will take the creative part of these films seriously and try to not piss off high profile talent who might be interested in participating in these films.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Singer also expressed an interest in directing a sequel to Superman Returns ...

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the worldwide takings are upto US$336.4m, personally with other big hitters out now or due out. I don't think it's going to take more than about US$350m. Which I think the studio will be reasonably happy with.

5. Admiral_Young

I wish we would get off this "Singer expressed interest in a Superman Returns" sequel. We all know why one didn't happen. It's because freaking Warner Bros didn't want one.

We know that Singer has a different relationship at Fox now than he did before. The fact that he served as Executive Producer and was responsible for the story of "First Class" would indicate that he is still interested at some level with directing a movie. Not to mention the fact that he attempted to get out of his iron clad Warner Bros directing contact for "Jack the Giant Killer" so he could direct First Class. "Superman Returns" was a totally and utterly different situation. One that needs to stop being brought up.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If Singer does do a Superman Returns Sequel, will he ignore XMen: The Last Stand? :devil:

I enjoyed the first two Xmen movies, and enjoyed parts of the third one. Definitely looking forward to seeing First Class when it comes out on video (I mostly stay away from Theaters, don't like the crowds and the rude moviegoers), and if it's as good as it seems to be, I'm hoping for a Sequel to it as well.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Warner Bros. flat-out said they opted not to pursue a sequel to Superman Returns because they weren't happy with the way the film "positioned" the character. I'm sure Singer wanted to direct the sequel very much. It just didn't happen.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Meaning, they were planning on an additional $100 million that they didn't get - so bad, Superman Returns, bad.

9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are the execs happy with the critical response vs. the money made?

I mean, the movie did well, and I'm happy for that (LOVED the movie, saw it twice in theatres), but it really wasn't a blockbuster and it didn't do as well as the others financially.

And since it's always about the bottom line, does the critical response matter as much does anyone know? Is that considered when planning a sequel in the hopes that more people will see it and that this was more or less a transition movie?

10. Admiral_Young

The fact that they're even discussing "sequels" right now (if we're to believe the report) makes me think they're pleased with it's performance and reception.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it looks like the Movie did make a return on it's budget (some US$135-140m after tax breaks). So it's passed the first test it's in the black. The second test is it passed the critical response test and was largely recieved positively.

Of course any sequel will have to cost at most the same as this one.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

XM:FC has placed 13th this weekend with another $1.4m for a US domestic total of $142m and a worldwide take of $338m to date.

It should get to $350m worldwide with no problem and over $145m domestic. Perhaps a crawl to $150m if Fox pushes it.

13. Admiral_Young

Those are sequel worthy numbers to me.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Especially considering Fox had to have gone into this one with lowered expectations.

15. KB24

Even at 13 now, those do still seem like good numbers, especially compared to films that have opened and dropped down in the 6 weeks it has taken X-Men to slide. I did read some of the Box Office Mojo stuff, and saw that First Class was still in the Number 9 spot for the year. That is really good in my mind. Half way through the year and you are in the Top 10. It would be great if it remained in high company for the second half of the year- and by that point, the videos will be out.

Yay.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will push it down to 10th for the year, within a week possibly.

17. KB24

I also imagine Potter is going to push it out of most theaters completely. But realistically, if First Class remains in the Top 20 in Box Office and critics lists for the year, I'd say Fox should be damn pleased.

18. Admiral_Young

Fox should be pleased. I think they'll be more pleased by the DVD sales this fall. I've seen the movie four times now and will be getting the DVD when it comes out, and KB...I'm ready for a sequel already :)

19. KB24

Wouldn't it be magic if the dvd sales were so huge that they rereleased it? Sigh, I can dream. Looks to be directly out of theaters for Potter space.

20. KB24

Okay, I just saw Cowboys and Aliens Slurpees at 7 Eleven ads. And First Class could get nothing? Seriously? I love them, but Old ass Harry Ford and Daniel Craig can be on plasticware and hip sixties X-Men gets <crickets> Dude, my ebooks have merchandise. Again, I come back to out of sight out of mind for this movie as its hindrance.