James T. Kirk in 24th century novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mendelin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am not eager to see any references to Sybok in future novels. Now if Spock and Saavik had children...

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

They've got about two years to get busy, before Spock has his appointment with a magic black hole. :)

I'm hoping we will get a final Spock novel detailing the Hobus event, and heavily featuring Saavik. We'll have to wait and see...

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why can he have children with Saavik, but can't have a half brother?

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

As Greg said, the main reason for avoiding mentions of Sybok was general distaste for The Final Frontier, not because Roddenberry declared it apocryphal. Hell, Roddenberry spent half of 1982 going to cons urging fans not to support The Wrath of Khan, saying it wasn't really Star Trek. See how well that worked.....

I'll actually quote Ronald D. Moore, when discussing the writing of the TNG episode "The Nth Degree." The earlier drafts had the Cytherian (the big giant head who made Barclay a sooooper genius in the episode) be much more malevolent, but they realized that made the whole thing too similar to The Final Frontier, and as Moore said, “The absolute last thing that we wanted to remind anyone of was Star Trek V.”

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

He has a half-brother. We just don't speak of him. :)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also a subplot about he origins of Nimbus III, aka The Planet of Galactic Peace, running through the last few Vanguard books.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure they were entirely successful, then, since I recall a fair amount of speculation about "God" being a Cytherian (presumably a criminally insane one). :)

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Like it or not, the events of V are part of the canon.

As such, and with Spock's coming exit, now (real world) would seem a good time to investigate his family background...

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Now sounds like a good time to plot out that story with flashbacks of his life.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

We had something similar with Star Trek: Spock Reflections.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

Especially if Spock and Saavik have a child - Sybok's daughter would be their child's only Vulcan relative wouldn't she ?

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know for a fact that Sarek was an only child? A theoretical child of Spock and Saavik could always have some granduncles/aunts and any whatever you would call their kids out there.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about you, but I've been itching to find out what became of the Morg and Eymorg in the 24th century.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Canon is silent on the question as far as I know, but J.M. Dillard's novel Demons gave Sarek a younger brother, Silek.

15. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

I can just see it now...NuTrek3 with Idris Elba as Sybok.

16. Christopher

"Today I am cancelling your pain!"

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They repurposed the underground computer to produce a fantasy-style roleplaying game. Or in other words, a MMP-MORG.

They also opened a line of grocery stores selling MORG-anic health food.

However the "Brain and brain?" lady escaped and began crashing sporting events, where she was known as MORG-anna.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was an interesting idea - that "cousin Silek" from "Yesteryear" was a real person who looked just like adult Spock. I read it with an older Nimoy in mind.

19. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We also don't know that Amanda was an only child. Spock could have human cousins.

20. Christopher

No, the cousin Spock impersonated in "Yesteryear" was named Selek, not Silek. After all, Sarek's brother would be Spock's uncle, of course, not his cousin. And Spock-as-Selek identifies himself as a cousin to Sarek as well as to Spock -- not to mention posing as a cousin sufficiently distant that Sarek had never met him before.