RIP Kate O'Mara (aka The Rani)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by TedShatner10, Mar 30, 2014.

1. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

2. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

3. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Saw this earlier, it's a shame we didn't get a cameo off her in the new series. Was she in any of the Big Finish Audio's?

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Saw this all over Facebook earlier. Very sad news. Rest in peace, Kate.

Sadly, no. Fans, myself included, had been hoping she would return, and, in fact, Kate herself wanted to reprise the role. I don't know why it never happened, but a persistent rumor was that Big Finish wanted Pip and Jane Baker to write the story (because they created the character) and I guess they didn't want to do it. I don't know if there's any truth behind that.

5. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that it's the other way round: they own the character, so they have to approve anyone else writing her.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I really enjoyed The Rani in her first appearance, in Mark of The Rani. I enjoy the Serial as a whole, not just her character.

Time and The Rani and Dimensions in Time are pretty bad as episodes (Especially two Mels <EEEK> in Time and The Rani), but, overall, I don't mind her character and would've loved to see her again with a much better script.

I also enjoyed Kate O'Mara in Dynasty and AbFab

Rest in Peace Kate

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely a sad loss. RIP

8. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rest in Peace, Kate

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I thought she was an interesting character with a lot of potential. Just sadly wasted on some pretty weak stories.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

poor lady. she was a cool character..campy with the 7th doctor, but cool with the 6th. we need a regen ver in the new series..

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I'm saddened to hear this. Practically got palpitations from seeing her in Dynasty way back when.

13. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

The trouble with a fifty year old sci-fi series virtually everybody from long before the mid to late 1980s has either getting too old to do anything, been long dead or dying way too early.

There's no genuinely good age to die - dying in your 50s and 60s is still way too early and very sad, dying in your 70s (like Kate) is badly timed and disappointing, most people seem to be dead by around 85, and Christopher Lee keeps on trucking.

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a side note, I'd forgotten that her first husband was Jeremy Young (Kal in An Unearthly Child and the bus driver in Asylum...) and the second Richard Willis (Adric's brother)

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The only silver lining to this is that I've finally had my first satisfying night's sleep in weeks now that the Rani is no longer around to drain my brain fluid.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Such a shame, R.I.P

I would have loved to see her appear as the Rani again, even if just to regen into another actor, but alas it was not to be.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. I even had some fun theories about how she might have survived the Time War. (I figured she was able to chemically transform herself into some other species so that the Doctor & the Master wouldn't telepathically recognize her as another Time Lord. So when she first appeared, she would be some kind of exotic hybrid, like a snake-lady or something.)

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^What a great idea, it fits in nicely with her character as well.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I would have liked her as Cassandra from the new series.

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Big Finish have announced that the Rani will return in a forthcoming audio drama, portrayed by a new actress. The script in question was actually written for O'Mara, who had contacted BF about reprising the character for them. Recording was only a few weeks out when O'Mara passed away. Naturally BF were uncertain what course to take, until O'Mara's agent told them that the actress had wanted the character to continue in a new incarnation. So The Rani Elite, written by Who tie-in stalwart Justin Richards, will feature Siobhan Redmond in the role, alongside the sixth Doctor and Peri.